Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,143 times

Advertisements

Outside of the obvious urbanist who all praise New York City for its 100% urbanity, and being the king of all metropolitan areas on earth, who else cares or even thinks, that New York City is even that great? About all the people that i have asked, everyone agrees that it's crowded, dirty, and nasty and this is not exaggeration, this is direct wordage straight from various people I pose this question. So does this mean that New York City greatness is exaggerated even on these urban- centric forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Outside of the obvious urbanist who all praise New York City for its 100% urbanity, and being the king of all metropolitan areas on earth, who else cares or even think New York City is even that great? Beveryone I know referes to it as crowded, dirty, and nasty and this is not exaggeration, this is direct wordage straight from various people I pose this question. So does this mean that New York City greatness is exaggerated even on these urban- centric forums?
Your going off of stereotypes.

The vast majority of Staten Island and huge portions of Queens are not urban at all, they're very very very leafy with a lot of space. Even some parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx are not urban, crowded, dirty and nasty and are suburban-like in nature.

You really should travel more because it seems like you're judging an entire megacity by one area. That's like me judging all of Los Angeles County by just referencing East LA.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-29-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
another reason why people don't think LA is a real city

you don't hear people from chicago blathering this nonsense

Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
What is so great about New York City?

It's laughable to even ask this question. It only shows ignorance.

However, if you're making the point that you personally don't like New York City, then that's different.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM

410 posts, read 634,053 times
Is it just me or is there this LA NYC thread battle going on here??? First the In N Out thing, than the perfect metro threads...and then this?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Outside of the obvious urbanist who all praise New York City for its 100% urbanity, and being the king of all metropolitan areas on earth, who else cares or even thinks, that New York City is even that great?
I'm definitely not urban-centric, but I loved the City. There was a vitality there that we saw no where else in two years we traveled the US. We walked, bused, took the subways. We visited the museums, the restaurants, shopped. I would love to go back and stay a few months to get to really know it.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
who else cares or even thinks, that New York City is even that great?
If you don't care, why would you create a thread? Are you in the habit of finding things you don't care about and creating threads about them?

I am going to go to the food forum and post about how I can't believe everyone thinks ice cream is so great. After all, it's too creamy, heavy and overly sweet. Everyone I ask agrees with me, but somehow the rest of the world still loves ice cream, such that it is an 11 billion dollar industry. Such a mystery.

I think this would be a great idea for a thread, since I don't care about ice cream and don't even like it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM

208 posts, read 464,272 times
Please stay in hollywood, don't ever come to nyc. It's such a dirty nasty city that someone from beautiful clean hollywood could never dare step into to.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Is it just me or is there this LA NYC thread battle going on here???
It's an LA thing. I lived out there briefly, and whenever I would tell someone that I had moved there from New York, they'd say, "Oh wow, isn't it so much better here? Didn't you just hate it there?" and couldn't really understand when I'd say, "Eh, not really..."

I've since moved back to New York and when I mention to people here that I used to live in LA, I never get much more than an "Oh, cool."

No one here really cares about LA, but for some reason in LA everyone feels the need to compare themselves to NY. Like someone else said, you don't really hear people from Chicago obsessing over comparing themselves to NY (except for maybe pizza....)

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
No one here really cares about LA, but for some reason in LA everyone feels the need to compare themselves to NY. Like someone else said, you don't really hear people from Chicago obsessing over comparing themselves to NY (except for maybe pizza....)
I agree. LA has NY envy. They realize they can't compare and never will and it's killing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City