Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Sociologically NYC (more Brooklyn than any other boro) when through cycles as each new of immigrants arrived. You'd have two to three generations live in a neighborhood grow financially and move to a new neighborhood. Then the next group of immigrants would replace them. It is known as the ripple effect. The last large group of immigrants were the Russians in the 70's. In the 70's through 90's they had numerous small neighborhoods. By the 90's their last Brooklyn area was Brighton Beach that still has the original influx of immigrants and the generations that followed. But now they've spread out to Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach and onto Staten Island. Another neighborhood to look at is Bushwich. It got filled by post WW2 European Jews who stayed there until the late 50's and then moved on. There was no immigrants to replace them so bordering poorer neighborhoods swallowed it up and within a decade it was slum looking and another decade houses and buildings were being boarded up. It became extremely dangerous and the property devalued to nothing. So do you just let the neighborhood get to the point where buildings are getting bulldozed or do you start offering incentives to developers to re-build these areas? Of course you know the answer is. The developers built homes to entice people who are going to make the area grow. Which it did. Thus as decades past again it got renamed gentrification.

The areas that are getting gentrified is not the fault of the original working families that moved in. It is their kids. And as they grow up they have kids who are worse then their parents were. You get multigenerational no one cares syndrome. We've tried affordable housing and it failed through the decades. Gentrification is necessary to force poorer people to thrive higher or leave. NYC can no longer afford any more free rides. NYC has gotten to the point thev're created imaginative ways of giving out tickets to generate funds. There was an article on the net about a woman who threw a used newspaper in a city trash can and she was fined. She pulled it out of the trash and PO where she could dispose of it. The PO told her to take it home. She was going to leave it on the street but the PO offered her another fine for littering - so she didn't.
the Jewish community has been on the Lower East Side since the 1870s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
100% correct! Gentrification improves neighborhoods. They make them safer, cleaner, and more desirable to live in.
not always
when they go into the Jewish community they increase the crime.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Sociologically NYC (more Brooklyn than any other boro) when through cycles as each new of immigrants arrived. You'd have two to three generations live in a neighborhood grow financially and move to a new neighborhood. Then the next group of immigrants would replace them. It is known as the ripple effect. The last large group of immigrants were the Russians in the 70's. In the 70's through 90's they had numerous small neighborhoods. By the 90's their last Brooklyn area was Brighton Beach that still has the original influx of immigrants and the generations that followed. But now they've spread out to Sheepshead Bay, Manhattan Beach and onto Staten Island. Another neighborhood to look at is Bushwich. It got filled by post WW2 European Jews who stayed there until the late 50's and then moved on. There was no immigrants to replace them so bordering poorer neighborhoods swallowed it up and within a decade it was slum looking and another decade houses and buildings were being boarded up. It became extremely dangerous and the property devalued to nothing. So do you just let the neighborhood get to the point where buildings are getting bulldozed or do you start offering incentives to developers to re-build these areas? Of course you know the answer is. The developers built homes to entice people who are going to make the area grow. Which it did. Thus as decades past again it got renamed gentrification.

The areas that are getting gentrified is not the fault of the original working families that moved in. It is their kids. And as they grow up they have kids who are worse then their parents were. You get multigenerational no one cares syndrome. We've tried affordable housing and it failed through the decades. Gentrification is necessary to force poorer people to thrive higher or leave. NYC can no longer afford any more free rides. NYC has gotten to the point thev're created imaginative ways of giving out tickets to generate funds. There was an article on the net about a woman who threw a used newspaper in a city trash can and she was fined. She pulled it out of the trash and PO where she could dispose of it. The PO told her to take it home. She was going to leave it on the street but the PO offered her another fine for littering - so she didn't.
Excellent post and so very true. Especially in the bold. That's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of gentrification in the Bronx. It really needs it in order to shed its "ghetto" stigma.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Excellent post and so very true. Especially in the bold. That's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of gentrification in the Bronx. It really needs it in order to shed its "ghetto" stigma.
Not until the city deals with it's poverty levels. You can only push poor people around so much, the Bronx has been the dumping ground for the city's poverty for years, no other borough wants to take that on. Until the Bronx deals with its problems at hand, I don't see that changing any time soon, which requires hard work....but we all know you just want to see them bused someplace else and be someone else's problem.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM

23 posts, read 63,220 times

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not until the city deals with it's poverty levels. You can only push poor people around so much, the Bronx has been the dumping ground for the city's poverty for years, no other borough wants to take that on. Until the Bronx deals with its problems at hand, I don't see that changing any time soon, which requires hard work....but we all know you just want to see them bused someplace else and be someone else's problem.
Sure why not? That's what other boroughs did to the Bronx right?...dump their undesirables on the Bronx and replace them with people that contribute to the gentrification movement thus improving their neighborhoods. If other boroughs can do it, so can the Bronx. The Bronx has a lot of potential and what hampers prosperity is the CLASS of residents that live in the Bronx. Ship the undesirables to Upstate like Newburgh or Buffalo. Or better yet, send them to Newark, Allentown, PA or Reading, PA. That's the quickest way to get these undesirables out of our hairs. "Teaching" them won't work. They are too far gone to repair. Honest truth. The culture and lifestyle these undesirables subscribe to has them fixed in their ways. Their social issues will never go away. They have to police themselves and have the desire to want to better themselves. Besides, the welfare system is designed to keep these people lazy and under achievers. If you want real effective change, that would require reforming the welfare system, reforming the school system, reforming the tax system, and so fourth. What are the chances of that happening? Zero!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sure why not? That's what other boroughs did to the Bronx right?...dump their undesirables on the Bronx and replace them with people that contribute to the gentrification movement thus improving their neighborhoods. If other boroughs can do it, so can the Bronx. The Bronx has a lot of potential and what hampers prosperity is the CLASS of residents that live in the Bronx. Ship the undesirables to Upstate like Newburgh or Buffalo. Or better yet, send them to Newark, Allentown, PA or Reading, PA. That's the quickest way to get these undesirables out of our hairs. "Teaching" them won't work. They are too far gone to repair. Honest truth. The culture and lifestyle these undesirables subscribe to has them fixed in their ways. Their social issues will never go away. They have to police themselves and have the desire to want to better themselves. Besides, the welfare system is designed to keep these people lazy and under achievers. If you want real effective change, that would require reforming the welfare system, reforming the school system, reforming the tax system, and so fourth. What are the chances of that happening? Zero!
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and the reason why how our country deals with poverty is so messed up. If only we could make all our problems someone else's problems and the world would be happy and pink. Tough luck dude, you are gonna have to deal with the problems that are in the Bronx or move to someplace else, that is the only way that area will fix itself for you, until then you will just be stuck whining about why won't those dirty horrible poor people move away?

Which we have gotten into it plenty of time and we are all aware how much you hate poor people....

Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard and the reason why how our country deals with poverty is so messed up. If only we could make all our problems someone else's problems and the world would be happy and pink. Tough luck dude, you are gonna have to deal with the problems that are in the Bronx or move to someplace else, that is the only way that area will fix itself for you, until then you will just be stuck whining about why won't those dirty horrible poor people move away?

Which we have gotten into it plenty of time and we are all aware how much you hate poor people....
You're an idiot because I never specifically stated I hated poor people. Why do you put words in my mouth? I've always said I hated GHETTO people. Being poor doesn't deem a person being ghetto. It's the ghetto portion of the poor people population that contribution the Bronx's negative reputation. Those are the ones that need to be shipped out. I know many HUMBLE poor people that DO NOT subscribe to that ghetto culture and lifestyle.

I offered my opinion on how to get rid of undesirables so that they aren't ruining the quality of life of other non-ghetto poor people. But I have yet to hear your solution in addressing the undesirable population that ruins it for the good apples! You talk like you know it all, so let's hear it. Share us your wisdom all mighty one!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You're an idiot because I never specifically stated I hated poor people. Why do you put words in my mouth? I've always said I hated GHETTO people. Being poor doesn't deem a person being ghetto. It's the ghetto portion of the poor people population that contribution the Bronx's negative reputation. Those are the ones that need to be shipped out. I know many HUMBLE poor people that DO NOT subscribe to that ghetto culture and lifestyle.

I offered my opinion on how to get rid of undesirables so that they aren't ruining the quality of life of other non-ghetto poor people. But I have yet to hear your solution in addressing the undesirable population that ruins it for the good apples! You talk like you know it all, so let's hear it. Share us your wisdom all mighty one!
Yet those humble poor people would be the ones getting shipped out if you pushed out the poor people in the Bronx...you have never said you hated all poor people, you just seem not to care what would happen to them if all the rich money moved in to their neighborhood....so maybe you don't hate poor people, but what you want to happen to the Bronx, you might as well say you don't care about them.

This is where investments need to be made to make living easier for people at the bottom of the income levels because there will always be people at the bottom because not everyone can be rich because even then someone would be at the bottom.

You want the area to clean up and be a safer place to live, I support that idea, but the idea of shipping people off to be someone else's problem is an ignorant way to look at a problem.

I could go on, but we both know what circle this will go in, you can't simply ship your problems away, there has to be actual changes made within your community, things that make it easier for those humble poor people to try and start businesses in their own community or to own their own place or to see actual positive impacts happening around them, to not feel like they live in intentional ghettos.

Those ghetto kids you seem to hate get into that lifestyle because they are not presented with options to get ahead in life, they are looked at like criminals even before they do anything wrong.

You fix the underlying problems and make it a healthier place for people to live, then you have a sustainable poor income level community. You don't fix any of those problems and you have what you have now and when you say ship the ghetto out and bring in the money, you are saying ship all poor people out because those humble poor people are the ones that get stuck in the ghettos....so yes, that does sound like you either hate poor people or don't care what happens to them...neither one sounds like a good thing to me.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Those ghetto kids you seem to hate get into that lifestyle because they are not presented with options to get ahead in life, they are looked at like criminals even before they do anything wrong.
"Those ghetto kids" have the same opportunities at hand as the rest of us. Long experience has taught me that it is easier to remain in the lifestyle and so they do. I was not "presented" with options either. I had to go after things and actually work. This was the case for just about everyone I know.

Were they compromised by personality-disordered parents (most important), poor diet (see first observation), and everything else ? Of course, but in the end, the only thing that matters about doing things is DOING THEM. You either arrive at work or for the interview for such on time or you do not. You either read a book or hang out on the stoop all night. You learn the king's language or you "be thuggin'." And so on. It's all about choices. We are at the point as a society where there is no longer the money or the time to get into complex discussions about reasons. People will either do or not do, and the "nots" will be dealt with.

And do the discussions really matter ? What do they accomplish, exactly ? Certainly I have seen a number of people take advantage there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City