Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,180 times

Advertisements

I research and find Sears homes. I like to find them anywhere and everywhere! One of the things I do is read the old Sears catalogs and find the houses that are mentioned in testimonials to see if they are still standing.

Of the 370 designs that Sears offered (between 1908-1940), there were a few that were quite grandiose. One of those houses was the Sears Milton.

According to my 1916 catalog there was one built in NYC!

I can often find these houses via google maps. However, I am having trouble with this one ! Looking for a Sears Milton in NYC is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Has anyone in NYC seen this house? If so I would LOVE some pictures of it!

I am including images from my 1916 catalog, public domain, as well as another Sears Milton. This house would have been built between 1913 and 1916.

Thanks

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
In Midwood nabe of Brooklyn, maybe?

http://hdc.org/img/midwoodpark.jpg

Historic Districts Council

Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Houses around this size and that look like they're from this time period can be found in several neighborhoods in Queens, including pockets of Flushing and Jamaica. The ones farther away from Manhattan, like Hollis Hills, have bigger lots which would fit in with the line under the floor plan, "this house can be built on a lot 50 feet wide", but many of the houses there tend to be from the 1940s or later.
I hate to say that if it's in an older neighborhood like Flushing it's quite possible that it was torn down.

The Bronx is also another possibility, I knew a family who had a beautiful house from the early 1900s in the Kingsbridge area--but I just looked for it on Google street views and it's been torn down and replaced by an ugly apartment building

Here's a site whose contributors should be able to give you more clues:
An alternative view of New York |*Forgotten New York

Old 05-31-2012, 04:28 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
A friend of mine lives in Massapequa. Her house is a Sears also. I think it's a Craft House. Very similar design to this one but no upstairs balcony. If I'm not mistaken, there is a tax break on some of these because they are considered historic.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Nothing changes in Real Estate.
I LOVE the addendum: "Price does not include the cost of cement, brick and plaster."

OY, you walk into the house and look at bare lath????

Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffshoe View Post
I research and find Sears homes. I like to find them anywhere and everywhere! One of the things I do is read the old Sears catalogs and find the houses that are mentioned in testimonials to see if they are still standing.

Of the 370 designs that Sears offered (between 1908-1940), there were a few that were quite grandiose. One of those houses was the Sears Milton.

According to my 1916 catalog there was one built in NYC!

I can often find these houses via google maps. However, I am having trouble with this one ! Looking for a Sears Milton in NYC is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Has anyone in NYC seen this house? If so I would LOVE some pictures of it!

I am including images from my 1916 catalog, public domain, as well as another Sears Milton. This house would have been built between 1913 and 1916.

Thanks

Unfortunately there are many neighborhoods in Brooklyn,Queens and The Bronx where this house could be.......... or could have been.

If I had to find it,I'd initially concentrate on Brooklyn( just a hunch) but there are a lot of Brooklyn neighborhood possibilities.I'd start in the Ditmas Park/Kensington/Midwood area.There are some regular posters on here who live in those areas so there is a chance someone will recognize it .

Maybe you should start a contest and offer a reward.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-01-2012 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Maybe someone at this place would know New-York Historical Society

Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Sears Homes Enthusiasts

This website has a number of Sears Homes enthusiasts like yourself that may be able to tell you where the home in NYC is located... There are a few in there that are from NY state... The ones that I caught early on were from Yonkers, Geneva, Pleasantview, and Geneva... I'm sure there's more. All you have to do is just click on there names and send them a message regarding the house you're looking for... Hope this helps

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Curious about these houses, and I found this page:
Is Your City on This List? If So, You Should Be Looking for Sears Homes! | Sears Modern Homes

I looked at the cities/towns on the list and it says "Long Island" which of course isn't just one town. There's an office on the "Write, visit or call the office nearest you" that says "Jamaica, L.I., NY" but Jamaica actually became part of Queens (NYC) in the 1890s. I just happened to be riding through that neighborhood 2 weeks ago and in the more suburban-looking area a few blocks north of the office address, 87-81 Merrick Blvd, Jamaica, I saw lots of houses that looked like they were from the early 1900s. If you do a Google street view of some of the blocks like Highland Ave., Gothic Drive or Normal Ave. you may spot something, maybe not the Milton but quite possibly one of the other models.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Nothing changes in Real Estate.
I LOVE the addendum: "Price does not include the cost of cement, brick and plaster."

OY, you walk into the house and look at bare lath????
It was a mail-order kit; cement, brick, and plaster would have been hard-to-ship commodity items that made much more sense to source locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City