Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM

36 posts, read 55,857 times

Advertisements

It's cool, I'm really into ethnic food so I'm gonna love NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySage View Post
Is ordering things online popular?
If you plan to do this, make sure you rent in a large building or one with a doorman. I used to live in a building with only 6 apartments, and the only delivery people who could access the building were the US Post office. If I wanted something delivered from UPS or Fedex Ground, I had to be home to let them in.

Now, living in a larger building, it seems there's always someone around to let UPS in when they need to deliver, and UPS just leaves the package outside my apartment door. On a few rare occasions I have had to be home to sign.

Amazon has something called a locker program http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200689010
where you can sign up to pick up your Amazon purchases from a local drugstore but to me that still seems like a pain

Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post

I also wanted to add that we don't really have a lot of wal-marts, targets or costos inside the city limits like other places. So there's a good chance you'd have to travel pretty far away to shop at one, and without a car you can't really shop in bulk.
This is true in general--that we don't have as many of these super stores as other places-- but does depend on exactly where you live in NYC. There are a couple of Targets that are very convenient if you live in certain Brooklyn or Queens locations. The Queens one in Elmhurst is also close to the Costco in Rego Park.

The Target in Brooklyn is super convenient with so many subway lines running to Atlantic Terminal.

Target New York

Costco - LeFrak City - Rego Park, NY

Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM

215 posts, read 519,671 times
Clothes are not more expensive in New York, and nor is electronics.
There are a tons of restaurants at all price points.
Look at detailed comparison here:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM

215 posts, read 519,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
NYC has a bit of a lack of good low-to-mid range food options. The food is great if you have a big budget, but if you just want to get a modest meal it's not easy to find a good place.
This is completely false. Food in NY is much better than almost anywhere in US, even at relatively low prices.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
Clothes are not more expensive in New York, and nor is electronics.
There are a tons of restaurants at all price points.
Look at detailed comparison here:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Yeah they are. I checked while I was in Dallas and the prices were less. Houston has an even lower cost of living than dallas. And your cost of living link confirms that prices for just about everything is more expensive in Ny.

Never said we don't have middle or low price eating options- just that most of them suck balls and its hard to find good ones.

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
This is completely false. Food in NY is much better than almost anywhere in US, even at relatively low prices.

Over the past 30 years ive noticed the food quality going to pot in a lot of places for mid and low range. Especially in the east village. I've found great food in Texas that easilly rivals nyc and in some cases puts it to shame. Nyc is not the end-all-be all of the food world. You might find a greater diversity of cuisines here but that's no guarantee that it's any good. All the meals I had in Dallas were rather kick-parse with one exception.

The more I travel and eat the more I'm noticing how overrated the nyc food scene is.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Ugh, they offered me far, far less than Alkonost recommended I take.

Last edited by GraySage; 06-05-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySage View Post
Ugh, they offered me far, far less than Alkonost recommended I take.
Did they offer you at least 60K?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM

No.

I guess I'll have to ask for more than I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City