U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 PM

3,443 posts, read 4,090,694 times

Advertisements

I currently work about about 45 miles north of NYC. Absolutely love my job, but HATE living in the area (nightlife nonexistent).

Want to try my hand at living in city for a year or two and will definitely be looking for a roommate.

**Have identified several apartment shares in Inwood/Washington Heights that range anywhere from 600-1000 per month.

**Have also found shares in Upper East/West Sides that range from $1000 and upward.

I am a huge fan of jazz, comedy clubs, and being able to take midnight walks and want to be in an area that will provide those opportunities.

My question...should I go with a cheaper place in Inwood or spend a few more dollars and go with a place in ideal location like upper west side? My max rent budget is $1250 per month.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 PM

107 posts, read 255,221 times
The UWS is probably the best choice if you're looking for entertainment/night life and general convenience to the rest of the city. Smoke Jazz club is awesome. The UES is pretty stale and non-hip for NYC standards, stereotyping but when I used to live there it reminded me of the Midwest where I used to live. Washington Heights and Inwood have some cool bars but the night life is nothing special and you aren't going to find jazz/comedy as far as I know (or be able to convince anyone downtown to come visit you often). You can walk at midnight in any of those areas, UES/UWS being the "safest." During the day though, it's hard to beat the parks in Washington Heights and Inwood, but you'd be a short subway ride away from that.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
The UWS is probably the best choice if you're looking for entertainment/night life and general convenience to the rest of the city. Smoke Jazz club is awesome. The UES is pretty stale and non-hip for NYC standards, stereotyping but when I used to live there it reminded me of the Midwest where I used to live. Washington Heights and Inwood have some cool bars but the night life is nothing special and you aren't going to find jazz/comedy as far as I know (or be able to convince anyone downtown to come visit you often). You can walk at midnight in any of those areas, UES/UWS being the "safest." During the day though, it's hard to beat the parks in Washington Heights and Inwood, but you'd be a short subway ride away from that.
Excellent information Matt00926. Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 AM

455 posts, read 591,280 times
UWS would be the best neighborhood but i am not sure that you will find something at your max budget unless you are very lucky.

Why not find a job in NYC first before moving here? A 45 min commute will take its toll on you.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM

10,919 posts, read 28,683,902 times
In Inwood, you want areas west of Broadway as the neighborhood is more stable and middle class than areas to the east that have their share of problems. Parking can be a problem, if you wanted street parking, so I would look into a commercial garage, which also helps to keep your car from excessive scratches and dings Garages in that part of Manhattan are much less expensive than on the UWS. As for shopping, Inwood has the basics covered, but not much I the way of variety as you would find in other areas. Since you do drive, it's not too much if a hassle to drive across the bridge to Target, Stop & Shop, and an interesting Grocery option, Garden Gourmet, a bit further up Broadway. Whole Foods, Fairway, and Trader Joe's are not in the vicinity, so that would mean a trek to other Manhattan areas, or Lower Westchezter.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Inwood/UWS

Thanks so much for the input. Absolutely love UWS, but as you stated Kal...Not easy to find anything decent in my budget. Going to keep looking for the right deal. I would love to find a new gig in the city, but the one that I currently have is a very very good one and I have yet to find a similar position that can match benefits.

BMWGUY...Thanks for suggestion of a parking garage. Found a few in Inwood that charger less than $200 per month. The monthly rates of garages in UWS started off around $350. Unbelievable!!!

Going to keep looking. Thanks again!

Last edited by usamathman; 06-04-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM

10,919 posts, read 28,683,902 times
Best parking is a great resource, via app for your phone or their website. Also, check the major companies to find a good deal, such as Icon Parking Systems, Edison, etc. Best Parking will tell you the operator, so you can check both sites for any coupons or rate codes you need for the preferential rate.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City