Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:16 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times

Advertisements

This is a question for all college students, but everyone is welcome to post.

What college do you attend? Do you like it? How is the quality of education?

What is your major?

What is your intended profession?

Would you like to work for the public or private sector?

Where would you like to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Ok i'll go first

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
This is a question for all college students, but everyone is welcome to post.

What college do you attend? Do you like it? How is the quality of education?

What is your major?

What is your intended profession?

Would you like to work for the public or private sector?

Where would you like to work?
1) a) Westchester Community College: Yonkers Extension b) No c) Poor
2) Liberal Arts
3) Urban Planner
4) Public
5) New York City

Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
1. Penn State, Yes I liked it, I think all school sucks, but I liked being away from home

2. Business with concentration in hotels, restaurants, and such

3. I used to think it was hotels

4. private

5. NY metro

Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
A: Laguardia CC; yeah; depends on the professor.

B: Paramedic(I could take that course in a hospital) then switched to Liberal Arts.

C: Intended profession? Don't know. I guess I'll stick to being an EMT.

D: Public

Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
BA, SUNY Stony Brook (psychology and sociology majors, English minor).

MA, NYU (British/American lit)

A few continuing ed courses in art history and newspaper/magazine writing.

I also learn a lot and can research virtually anything on the internet (didn't have that perk when I went to school).

Stony Brook was ok--living in the dorms was awesome, and I loved most of what I was studying and was good at pulling all nighters.

When I went to NYU it had a lot less prestige, was basically a commuter school, and most of the profs were ancient. Very hard work, but somehow worth it.

Worked 20 plus years for University advertising and publicity--account rep, then writer.

Always wanted to write so did some great freelance gigs--not much pay, but awesome. My background (BA, MA) served me well. Now I write for Blogcritics Magazine.

Private University.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 PM

89 posts, read 228,088 times
1a) BA - NYU. Really liked it; would have loved it if I'd lived in the dorms instead of enduring 1-hour commute from Brooklyn. Excellent, though when I was there, it was on the cusp of making the transition from regional/commuter school to internationally recognized university.

1b) MBA - American University. Loved it, mainly because I got to go away and experience a traditional campus with a tree-lined quad. Very good.

2a) Politics
2b) Dual concentration in IT Management/International Finance

3) Online marketing

4) In college, I'd intended to work in the public sector, but ended up in private

5) Want to work in online marketing/media for another year or two, but my goal is to own my own business, preferably in a smaller, slightly slower-paced city

Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 PM

13 posts, read 73,762 times
Kaplan College Online, its couldnt be better
Criminal Justice
I already work in law enforcement
Public or Private Sector
Long term I would like to work for the FBI or CIA

Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
How is law enforcement? Are you a beat cop? If I went for an interview are they gonna ask me silly questions about life, like "what do you see yourself doing 10 years from now" or "what does a police officer mean to you"

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Default I've been thinking

Is school really necessary? Does obtaining a Masters degree guarantee an easier life? Does a Bachelors degree have much worth? Does it make a significant difference in quality of life? I am running my family business right now. Dropped out of college (once again). My future profession is undecided but I plan on exploring the public service field. Any ideas? I want to make a difference to the masses.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
If you want to go into public/city planning or admin, you'd probably need a BA or higher.

BA now is like a HS diploma used to be--you can at least get some sort of white collar job, and for better pay generally. Though some civil service/unionized workers can make out better without college.

If you're running a family business, and it's in the black, that might be the best deal of all...entrepreneurs can make some serious money, depending--and perhaps work with/for/start philanthophic organizations as well. Non-profit sector in general?

There's also urban community jobs (like community organizers, admins) that might not require a BA. Also local politics...district council, etc.? I'm just free associating here.

Some universities will give you free tuition if you work there (NYU). If you can get accepted to a BA program, there's lots of potential opportunity for public service careers. The Gallatin program there is both easier to get into than some others, and also custom tailored to what you want to pursue, usually with lots of internships, independent study, etc. If you want to do high level work, you might want to get a master's in public admin, or related field too. The higher degrees can sometimes gain you entre into more influential administrative positions and of course the pay would be better too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City