Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,079 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, my landlord offered me a buyout from my stabalized apartment. At the time, I was not interested in leaving. Since then, things have changed for me. Recently, I contacted the landlord to see if we could reach an agreement on a buyout. I gave him my " $ number" (which was a little bit higher then he offered me two years ago. The landlord replied he'd get back to me. That was two months ago. I need some advice on how to move things along but not appear desperate (which I'm not)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Just sit and wait. Don't bring the subject up again.

If I had to guess the outcome, I will say you have lost some of your bargaining power by having to ask. His offer will come in at less than his original because he knows you are more inclined to leave.

If you want to be a little cagey, ask him very wide-eyed if it would be okay if you bought a new stove and installed a new sink. (Get my drift? )
This will trigger in the far reaches of his mind an image of you living there for the next 100 years...every landlord's worst nightmare.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,710,574 times
Or inquire about a lead paint abatement, especially if you mention have a baby on the way- but only if it's true I wouldn't lie about it.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
didn't we have this discussion with the husband and wife about buyouts already?????

you said no, so now tough, LL mighnt not want to. I would offer you lower if I was the LL. Your not entitlet to it.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,768,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
you said no, so now tough, LL mighnt not want to. I would offer you lower if I was the LL. Your not entitlet to it.
Who do you really think you are?
Your insane. You and the constant fighting for LL rights....
IT'S OLD .
Your not gonna win that stupid debate.
My advice for the OP is to NOT read the thread on getting your landlord to buy you out because it's chock full of people like nightcrawler who think they run things.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Ok so now that you want to leave you expect money? HUH? The buyout is meant to get people out when you are contractually obligated to keep them, which was your case a few years ago. But if you WANT to leave, then you should leave...right? Why are you expecting a payout exactly? That is called extortion....I mean how do you people sleep at night?

If the shoe were on the other foot, and your tenant wants to leave..why the heck would you pay them? LEAVE.

This falls back to the fundamental problem in NYC...the only way to get someone to leave is to buy them out..even when they WANT to leave the apt!!!!!!!!! The system needs to be fixed.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,482 times
This guy is clearly trolling.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,238,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Ok so now that you want to leave you expect money? HUH? The buyout is meant to get people out when you are contractually obligated to keep them, which was your case a few years ago. But if you WANT to leave, then you should leave...right? Why are you expecting a payout exactly? That is called extortion....I mean how do you people sleep at night?

If the shoe were on the other foot, and your tenant wants to leave..why the heck would you pay them? LEAVE.

This falls back to the fundamental problem in NYC...the only way to get someone to leave is to buy them out..even when they WANT to leave the apt!!!!!!!!! The system needs to be fixed.
Exactly right. And I laugh at the idiots who say the rent laws in NY are landlord friendly and they need to make them ore tenant friendly....oh please.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Who do you really think you are?
Your insane. You and the constant fighting for LL rights....
IT'S OLD .
Your not gonna win that stupid debate.
My advice for the OP is to NOT read the thread on getting your landlord to buy you out because it's chock full of people like nightcrawler who think they run things.

Well the LL offered a buyout, then tenant declined. He has that right. But, now the tenant is ready and offered to take a buyout at a higher amount??? at the tenants amount?, what nerve...

The tenant is NOT entitled to this. The LL can either accept it or make another offer, or doesn't even have to offer squat and let then tenant live there.....But I think the tenant has a lot of nerve to think he is going to hit the jackpot at a LL's expense...

I am not a LL, but I feel I am logical. I don't like the self entitlement a lot of tenants have, they are NOT entitled.

I don't understand why you can't get that through your thick skull? Your a tenant, you not entitled to a big windfall at the expense of a LL. Who do you think YOU are????

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,774,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
This guy is clearly trolling.

DEFINITELY!!!! My first thoughts exactly. This is a carbon copy of the remington/staggerlee saga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City