Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryan View Post
Perhaps, I missed something! A person wants information on selecting an apartment and there is backlash about the type of cell phone that is being used.

Firstly, NYCHA is literally making the tougher guidlines to become or stay as a resident. Background checks are done every year, so convicted felons can't live their or be on a lease. tenant associations & tenant watchmen are stronger than ever. Yes, there are some bad apples, but not as much.

Secondly, why is a stigma attached to living in the projects? ghetto, unemployed, really. try again. go on to NYCHA website and check the plans that were put in effect to ensure safe and affordable housing. Not to mention I'm sure we all are aware of the "rags to riches" story of many celebrities, goverment officials and average smart educated people who live(d) in the PROJECTS!!

Lastly, Why is it a problem if someone wants a luxury device? We all know the convience of the internet? so someone wants the convience of the internet that is mobile. the question is this person and their luxury device directly taking from YOU! other than making you jealous. No one made mention of the fact that buying these luxury goods, supporting state agencies such as NYCHA HELPS our BAD economy!!!! the more people buy the better the economy DUH!!
Clearly a bleeding heart liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Perhaps, I missed something! A person wants information on selecting an apartment and there is backlash about the type of cell phone that is being used.

Firstly, NYCHA is literally making the tougher guidlines to become or stay as a resident. Background checks are done every year, so convicted felons can't live their or be on a lease. tenant associations & tenant watchmen are stronger than ever. Yes, there are some bad apples, but not as much.

Secondly, why is a stigma attached to living in the projects? ghetto, unemployed, really. try again. go on to NYCHA website and check the plans that were put in effect to ensure safe and affordable housing. Not to mention I'm sure we all are aware of the "rags to riches" story of many celebrities, goverment officials and average smart educated people who live(d) in the PROJECTS!!

Lastly, Why is it a problem if someone wants a luxury device? We all know the convience of the internet? so someone wants the convience of the internet that is mobile. the question is this person and their luxury device directly taking from YOU! other than making you jealous. No one made mention of the fact that buying these luxury goods, supporting state agencies such as NYCHA HELPS our BAD economy!!!! the more people buy the better the economy DUH!!
I don't know where you live, but all of these measures have failed. I live near four major public housing projects and crime, violence, unsupervised children and so much more are rampant and spill over into the surrounding community - EVERY DAY. Just the other afternoon, yet another brawl broke out between "rival" adolescent groups from two projects. They closed down a part of 125th Street. Street litter and garbage and general mayhem emanate from these public housing projects.

People should not be permitted "luxury" anything while they are receiving any sort of assistance. It is a truly pathetic commentary on things that this needs pointing out. This should not need to be made law; people should understand this about themselves.

I observe the genuine lack of understanding regarding the social contract and I understand why this country is such a mess.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM

226 posts, read 1,097,916 times
Oh please they had a festival yesterday stop you got damn lying. Streets was closed due to a festival

Old 06-10-2012, 12:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
Oh please they had a festival yesterday stop you got damn lying. Streets was closed due to a festival
No, I remember hearing about that on the news a few days ago. Kids from two different projects fought on the streets and it went on for around an hour.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:31 PM

About the "street festival" :

NYPD Daily Blotter - NYPOST.com

Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
A street WAS closed.

But streets ? Streets WERE closed.

It took some moments to decipher "stop you got damn" but I did and I will pass on that one.

And in recent history, West 125th Street near the two project complexes has never been closed "due to a festival."

Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM

34 posts, read 102,309 times
It must be where you live because I live very close to three projects and i don't see trash, fights or any bad activity, I witnessed a fight but the residents from the community came a broke it up before a punch was thrown. So I guess everywhere is different because there is strong police presence in the.neighborhood do perhaps why crime is low, I understand someone who needs help should not have a luxury device, but its not up to you to point it out to them.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
but its not up to you to point it out to them.
It most certainly IS up to me, not as a privilege but as a responsibility. It is the job of every citizen to point this out whenever necessary.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM

208 posts, read 464,272 times
I bet CityGrl13 even has a tv and cable too...

Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM

205 posts, read 977,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
I bet CityGrl13 even has a tv and cable too...
don't worry about me. Have a great evening.

Last edited by CityGrl13; 06-10-2012 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City