U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 PM

3,027 posts, read 6,424,414 times

Advertisements

At first, I simply thought it was a few random cases moving back from Florida or SC back to NYC but in the past week and a half I've met in different instances 3 separate people and 2 families as well, and the majority of them have moved from Puerto Rico to NYC, and a couple others have moved from Florida back to NYC... The ones that have come back from Florida are in their 30s and 40s and the biggest reasons for coming back was the economy not being as great down there as they imagined, and in general they missed the NYC lifestyle... For the ones that have moved from Puerto Rico, they say it's getting real bad over there... Reading el vocero I stay amazed at the alarming increase in the murder rate over in Puerto Rico. Last year alone, they reached over a 1000 murders and this years numbers are supposed to blow last years out the water... it's ashame how bad it's gotten over there typically in the city areas... For the most part, where my family lives at in Moca, San Sebastian, Aguadilla, it remains pretty peaceful over there...

Now I know there are still plenty of Puerto Ricans fed up with this city and ready to move, though they may not be able to due to financial circumstances but I wonder whether the pop. will actually increase in the coming years because of the new growth in first generation Puerto Ricans as well as former NYC natives moving back... I doubt there is any up-to-date data on this situation yet but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming years with the different populations...

Interestingly enough, the first generation PR's I do see moving in for the most part aren't moving into traditionally Puerto Rican dominated areas but rather more middle class areas with a puerto rican presence... I've seen a ton of them move into my neighborhood in Ridgewood over the past two years and I've seen a couple move to Glendale and East Williamsburg as well...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 PM

4,841 posts, read 9,198,344 times
Most of the PRs moving into Glendale are the ones getting priced out of Brooklyn.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of the PRs moving into Glendale are the ones getting priced out of Brooklyn.
No question... But I was speaking to someone who lives in the Liberty Park section of Glendale... He told me he had just moved back from Florida and that he was here to stay... Alot of people that had moved down there to settle down in their 30s and 40s, realized that the lifestyles are completely different and many just couldn't adjust and are now moving back...

The other guy I spoke to near or in Glendale was along the border by Cypress and Cooper ave. Thick puerto rican accent... He was from Florida, PR... He had moved in about two years ago though from Puerto Rico... Cool guy too. Nice family. He calls me boricuazo ... While the majority of PR's you see in Glendale were either previously from Ridgewood or Bushwick, there are a few that don't fit the mold moving in as well... I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed or if it's just by my area...

Other areas where I met first generation PR's were by Ozone Park, Woodhaven, and Cypress Hills... This one guy I spoke to had just came 4 days ago without a job and only a small amount of savings from Puerto Rico... He was looking to see if I knew of a potential room rental

Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,264,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
At first, I simply thought it was a few random cases moving back from Florida or SC back to NYC but in the past week and a half I've met in different instances 3 separate people and 2 families as well, and the majority of them have moved from Puerto Rico to NYC, and a couple others have moved from Florida back to NYC... The ones that have come back from Florida are in their 30s and 40s and the biggest reasons for coming back was the economy not being as great down there as they imagined, and in general they missed the NYC lifestyle... For the ones that have moved from Puerto Rico, they say it's getting real bad over there... Reading el vocero I stay amazed at the alarming increase in the murder rate over in Puerto Rico. Last year alone, they reached over a 1000 murders and this years numbers are supposed to blow last years out the water... it's ashame how bad it's gotten over there typically in the city areas... For the most part, where my family lives at in Moca, San Sebastian, Aguadilla, it remains pretty peaceful over there...

Now I know there are still plenty of Puerto Ricans fed up with this city and ready to move, though they may not be able to due to financial circumstances but I wonder whether the pop. will actually increase in the coming years because of the new growth in first generation Puerto Ricans as well as former NYC natives moving back... I doubt there is any up-to-date data on this situation yet but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming years with the different populations...

Interestingly enough, the first generation PR's I do see moving in for the most part aren't moving into traditionally Puerto Rican dominated areas but rather more middle class areas with a puerto rican presence... I've seen a ton of them move into my neighborhood in Ridgewood over the past two years and I've seen a couple move to Glendale and East Williamsburg as well...
I call it a seesaw effect my friend. I too have also came across Puerto Ricans who move back to NYC but it was mostly those who are in their twenties compared to those who are in their thirties and forties who are more financially established and have built lives and names for themselves in sunny Florida. I know of one Rican guy in my area who moved back to NY due to no job oppurtunties in Central Florida, but he had to move back to Florida because he had baby and a wife. I haven't heard from him since. I met one PR chick from the Island at a roof top lounge this past weekend, she was banging but her mindset was similar to that of a typical Transplant, she moved to NYC for a job opportunity and racking in $$$$$$. Many Ricans from my block either moved back to PR or FL to retire while some moved to working middle class white areas of the Bronx like Throgs Neck and Morris Park sections most likely civil servant employees like cops, I even met a Rican who owns his own property on City Island, while some improvished Ricans moved to PA or again FL. Lets not forget Jersery. All I know is on my block all you hear is Mexican Romanticas, Merengue and Bachata on the streets. When you hear someone playing salsa they look very old. So far The only Ricans I see coming back to NYC is the ones who are originally improvished, who dropped out of high school and lack everyday skills which I have seen and I do know some few cats like this. Some Ricans I know expressed interest to move somewhere else.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-04-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,357,496 times
I dunno I think you are really grasping for straws here. There has always been (as guyanese stated) some back and forth between the island and NYC, and there is no doubt some back and forth between Florida and NYC, Florida and PR, and on and on. That's expected and normal...there will always be a percentage of people who leave and then come back after realizing they could not make it.

But there is no evidence to suggest that this is above and beyond the natural ebb and flow that happens with any group that leaves...some always come back. If you can provide some data showing a reversal in migration, instead of the "I know 3 families that came back therefore the reverse migration may be happening" anecdote...then you may have something. For every family you know that has come back I can name 10 families which never came back, and 2 more which are packing up and leaving, and that's no exaggeration.

Show me some support for the changing trend, and then we can discuss. At this point there is no evidence to suggest people are coming back outside of normal. And based on my observations, there are still lots of PRs who continue to leave NYC, and the top destination for PRs leaving PR are southern states, in particular Florida. NYC is no longer appealing, and hasn't been for decades...and that hasn't changed.

Sure there are PRs which are moving up the ladder and populating middle class communities, like Throgs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Parkway, etc...but this also has been happening for decades and is nothing new. They have had a substantial presence in these communities for sometime, and it's growing. But the reverse migration back to NYC? Nope...ain't happening.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,264,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I dunno I think you are really grasping for straws here. There has always been (as guyanese stated) some back and forth between the island and NYC, and there is no doubt some back and forth between Florida and NYC, Florida and PR, and on and on. That's expected and normal...there will always be a percentage of people who leave and then come back after realizing they could not make it.

But there is no evidence to suggest that this is above and beyond the natural ebb and flow that happens with any group that leaves...some always come back. If you can provide some data showing a reversal in migration, instead of the "I know 3 families that came back therefore the reverse migration may be happening" anecdote...then you may have something. For every family you know that has come back I can name 10 families which never came back, and 2 more which are packing up and leaving, and that's no exaggeration.

Show me some support for the changing trend, and then we can discuss. At this point there is no evidence to suggest people are coming back outside of normal. And based on my observations, there are still lots of PRs who continue to leave NYC, and the top destination for PRs leaving PR are southern states, in particular Florida. NYC is no longer appealing, and hasn't been for decades...and that hasn't changed.

Sure there are PRs which are moving up the ladder and populating middle class communities, like Throgs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Parkway, etc...but this also has been happening for decades and is nothing new. They have had a substantial presence in these communities for sometime, and it's growing. But the reverse migration back to NYC? Nope...ain't happening.
My observations to point that ricans are moving out of traditional rican areas like the south bronx to other parts of the county, city, state or country. Anon is right to some extent of ricans moving back to nyc however it not a wave of ricans plus mosr of them are young in their twenties and cant decide whats right for them until they land a job. I have came across some who moved back but its still not enough to declare a rican flight has stopped. From most ricans I know and also hear on the street, they talk about florida and PA alot. I met a rican couple the other day, this guy moved to east ny to be closer to his gf. He uses his vacations and sick days to go on job interviews in fl. his a nice guy and wants to move to fl so he can buy a foreclosed home and send his kids to a good suburban school.He even expressed what happened to mott haven? To many drunk mexicans walk around in that hood late night. If the rican parade gets larger anon I will support your case. Also there is alot of ricans in tampa too from nyc.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 AM

8,747 posts, read 17,357,496 times
Attendance at the PR parade is a really dumb way to gauge anything...it is not the exclusive domain of PRs...all kinds of people attend and PRs from around the country and PR attend, not just PRs in NYC. We already know the NYC PR population has been dropping for decades, and the PR parade is as popular as ever so that is not a guage at all.

If anyone believes PRs are moving back to NYC, please provide supporting evidence. The most recent data available (2010) has proven that PR migration out of NYC has slowed, but not stopped. This is tied to the economy, as more people are stuck where they are and cannot move, not that they don't want to....this is affecting every population, and not just PRs. Once the economy improves, the trend out of NYC will resume, and by 2020 it is estimated the PRs will no longer be the dominant group in NYC, with Dominicans, or possibly Mexicans overtaking them.

And if the economy improves more quickly, that exodus of PRs will likely increase and Dominicans/Mexicans will overtake them in NYC even earlier than 2020.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

I have no need to grasp for straws in any debate... I'm simply commenting on what I've seen... Obviously there is no real evidence yet to support this since what I am speaking of seems to be a relatively new notion... I was just asking to see if anyone else has seen this movement... Also, with both your statements (both you and Bronxguyanese) you have only confirmed my point that the Puerto Ricans that are moving back or coming from Puerto Rico aren't moving into the traditional hood Puerto Rican areas anymore because they don't need to. Most of the people I see moving from PR to NYC are more stable and are moving into areas like Queens or Middle Class Brooklyn... The working middle class areas of the Bronx are also seeing an increase of the PR population but this movement is mainly due to the exodus out of former hood areas like Mott Haven/Hunts Point etc.

And the 3 families I mentioned were all within a span of a week and a half... I can give you detailed descriptions of many new Puerto Rican families I've met that either moved from PR or came from Florida to NYC over the last two years... I have no reason to grossly exaggerate anything as others do on here... I have nothing invested in the Puerto Rican population and I love my neighborhood as is... Couldn't really care less whether the pop. was non-existant or completely dominated by Puerto Rican folk... I'm simply telling you that when we first moved here in Ridgewood, from about 2000-2008 I saw Puerto Rican folks leaving the neighborhood for states down south by the hundreds... Now, for whatever reason the ones I speak to that have stayed and have family down south have told me how they're convinced there's nothing down there for them and there staying right where they are... This isn't every case but by and large in my neighborhood at least it's the majority... And unlike you, I step outside of my borough of Queens and when I go to Brooklyn I see the same thing in certain areas...

The Bronx has traditionally been known as a low income borough for Puerto Rican folks... That opinion is slowly starting to change but this idea does affect the decision making process for a number of people who do move back to NYC or come from PR... Who wants to live in Mott Haven/Hunts Point/Tremont/Soundview/Castle Hill etc. for a 1000 a month or in Brooklyn to a Bushwick/Southside for on average 1200 a month... When you can move to a Ridgewood/Glendale (Liberty Park)/Woodhaven/Ozone Park for similar prices without the high crime rate?

That's why you'll probably never see what other boroughs see and unless you ever decide to step out of the Bronx for a minute you'll never realize what's going on around the city...

Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 PM

669 posts, read 1,186,795 times
From my experience not just with PR's but a lot of ppl that have moved to the South particularly FL in the last 10 years have moved back to the NY area and like you said to middle class areas a lot of times outside of the city in places like Long Island.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,407,698 times
Ive heard of Puerto Ricans moving from NYC -> Long Island and from Long Island back to the colony (opps I mean "Commonwealth" of Puerto Rico ) but never from Long Island back to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City