Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

It is definitely a neighborhood in my apartment hunting cause the one bedrooms I have seen there have been in my price range and I like the feel of the neighborhood in general. Though our first choice is still going to be a place in Crown Heights/Prospect Heights we have been looking at and are really in love with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedisciple View Post
not a studio. Good sized appartament. I am not a broker and was legitimately interested in whether this was an overlooked gem.

Glad to see that there are other desireable areas in Brooklyn for people who are not trust fund babies.
Where, what size?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Hear me out. Obviously if money is no object, there are better neighborhoods like Park Slope, Upper East Side etc. etc. But for those on a limited budget, is there anything better? Here are some reasons why

1) Affordability - You can buy an appartament here for $200,000 that would cost almost twice that in Park Slope.

2) Safety - Very little crime for Brooklyn

3) Location - Centrally located. Right down the road from Park Slope, 20 minute subway ride into Manhatten, 10 minutes to the beach. Prospect Park is beautiful and right next door.

4) Diversity - In Kensington, Diversity is not code language for dangerous. In Kensington, you get the good kind of diversity. Poles, Russians, Hasidic Jews, Hipsters, Pakistanis and the smattering of Hispanics and West Indians all seem to work hard and get along.

5) Dining - You can get your Hipster fix on Cortelyou with the food co-ops and wine bars, but the Hipsters haven't totally killed the character of the place yet.

So am I am I missing something here? What's the catch? I know there are more happening areas but when you consider the affordability factor, is this one of the overlooked gems of New York?
I would say transportation is probably the catch. If you live in the area of Kensington that's closer to the Q train, then you could get to the city pretty easily. If you're on the side of Kensington that's closer to the F train, then your commute could be worse depending on what part of the city you need to be at. I think this is why Kensington is attracting more of the crowd that have passed the partying phase of their lives.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
I wouldn't classify it as the best kept secret necessarily. It's been known about for quite some time, it just wasn't always a desirable area for transplants to move to until recently because it's not as "pretty" as some of the other areas.

The proximity to Prospect Park also adds an advantage to the area as well depending on what side you're on.

But for the love of God, whatever you do, don't call it K-Town. I want to slap someone when I hear that.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I always liked the Caton Towers building in Kensington
135 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn NY | Prudential Douglas Elliman

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Hear me out. Obviously if money is no object, there are better neighborhoods like Park Slope, Upper East Side etc. etc. But for those on a limited budget, is there anything better? Here are some reasons why

1) Affordability - You can buy an appartament here for $200,000 that would cost almost twice that in Park Slope.

2) Safety - Very little crime for Brooklyn

3) Location - Centrally located. Right down the road from Park Slope, 20 minute subway ride into Manhatten, 10 minutes to the beach. Prospect Park is beautiful and right next door.

4) Diversity - In Kensington, Diversity is not code language for dangerous. In Kensington, you get the good kind of diversity. Poles, Russians, Hasidic Jews, Hipsters, Pakistanis and the smattering of Hispanics and West Indians all seem to work hard and get along.

5) Dining - You can get your Hipster fix on Cortelyou with the food co-ops and wine bars, but the Hipsters haven't totally killed the character of the place yet.

So am I am I missing something here? What's the catch? I know there are more happening areas but when you consider the affordability factor, is this one of the overlooked gems of New York?
most Orthodox Jews in Kensington are litvish not Chasidic

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
But for the love of God, whatever you do, don't call it K-Town. I want to slap someone when I hear that.

Nobody has ever referred to it as such, you're lying...

Please tell me you're lying.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Nobody has ever referred to it as such, you're lying...

Please tell me you're lying.
You know exactly which group of people would do such a thing....the type that hate DH.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Well yeah I assumed that much. But I refuse to believe that nonsense.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would say transportation is probably the catch. If you live in the area of Kensington that's closer to the Q train, then you could get to the city pretty easily. If you're on the side of Kensington that's closer to the F train, then your commute could be worse depending on what part of the city you need to be at. I think this is why Kensington is attracting more of the crowd that have passed the partying phase of their lives.
So basically people like me, I could care less about partying till 2-3am. Actually when I was looking around that neighborhood I noticed lots of people in their 30-50s, lots of young kids and strollers. The area really comes off as a great family neighborhood, which makes sense when it is really affordable to get a big 2bedroom in that neighborhood that you would never be able to find anywhere else in a decent neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City