Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

Seems like you need a place where you BOTH can feel comfortable. And would hubby feel comfortable living in Garden City? think about it. Or would he feel the way you feel in Jamaica? Garden City is a lovely community, but a very white one too. And LI cops would not always be friendly toward a black man in certain situations in such a wealthy area.

It sounds like what you are looking for ideally is a middle class racially diverse Long Island suburb. You may have avoided some of the snarky racially accusatory replies here if you had been clearer about what you wanted.

I know of plenty such places in Jersey and a few in Westchester, but Long Island is not what I know. Maybe others here know better than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
It's obvious that you are married to a black man since your FIL lives in Jamaica Queens which is pre-dominantly black. I never called you a racist. You said that you were uncomfortable in the neighborhood because you were one of the few white Hispanics around. That and the raggedness of the stores. You stated that no one had bothered you and nothing really happens in the neighborhood. So what bugs you is all the black people and the lack of good shopping. So the answer is save your money and move.
The truth is a bitter pill to swallow...

Old 06-04-2012, 08:34 PM

428 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The truth is a bitter pill to swallow...
Fair enough. It is what it is. It's tough when you come from a city with predominantly one culture

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Rosedale's really not that bad of an area. Just an average middle class predominantly Black neighborhood. It's hard adapting to new situations so I sympathize with you.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Seems like you need a place where you BOTH can feel comfortable. And would hubby feel comfortable living in Garden City? think about it. Or would he feel the way you feel in Jamaica? Garden City is a lovely community, but a very white one too. And LI cops would not always be friendly toward a black man in certain situations in such a wealthy area.

It sounds like what you are looking for ideally is a middle class racially diverse Long Island suburb. You may have avoided some of the snarky racially accusatory replies here if you had been clearer about what you wanted.

I know of plenty such places in Jersey and a few in Westchester, but Long Island is not what I know. Maybe others here know better than I.
You're right. Although- Yes, he would feel comfortable (him and the whole family went to Penn State). They all spent years living in Happy Valley, and that is what he's used to. I guess that's why we prefer hanging out in LI every single day.

You are right. I should have been exactly clear. And thanks for pointing out that I need a more diverse suburb in L.I. I never thought of it that way. Husband has a good permanent job in Queens, so Jersey and Westchester prob couldn't be options right now. I'd love to move to Jersey City or even the Rutherford areas. I know, same type of area lol! I guess I can't help myself. I'm trying to mold a NY neighborhood to what I had in Miami growing up, and that's not possible.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Rosedale's really not that bad of an area. Just an average middle class predominantly Black neighborhood. It's hard adapting to new situations so I sympathize with you.
Thanks for your input. It's ok for me for right now. Its true- I don't feel comfortable in certain stores, etc. But I don't mind overlooking that because we've been going to L.I. for everything for years. I'm just afraid to transfer that hesitation/discomfort to kids whenever we'd have them. Imagine how awkward that would be for kids to see?

Rosedale isn't bad. It's fine, I know. It's just some of the blocks going into Springfield Gardens near me that I really don't like. Run down/annoying loud people/men constantly staring while standing outside of the stores, etc. it would bother me if it were any race doing this.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Unless you dislike living with your father-in-law, I don't see the point of saving up and spending lots of money on a house when you spend next to nothing on rent. Garden City is really expensive. You can be using that money for other things rather than have to go to mortgage payments or sit in home equity.

I grew up in Long Island, I didn't see it as all that special and thought NYC was more interesting. I'm not that familiar with that area of Queens (but you did say it was the good part of Jaimaca) , but you might just have a "grass is greener" on the other side mentality. Going a few miles away for shopping seems a little bit silly to me, but that's what you like I don't see why it matters, it's not that far.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
I am in a similar situation so I have an idea of what you talking bout. Not liking your surrounding neighborhood can be a real drag. Your life is happening now so I wouldn't plan that much ahead and wait for yrs hoping the area will gentrify or whatever. If you think you are not ready to buy right now you can still move to the area that you enjoy and rent there. I understand that you are saving a lot now by not paying much rent, but how much actual value do you put on that versus spending yrs of your life in a place you don't like? If it's worth it then stay, but I'd prolly move.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Unless you dislike living with your father-in-law, I don't see the point of saving up and spending lots of money on a house when you spend next to nothing on rent. Garden City is really expensive. You can be using that money for other things rather than have to go to mortgage payments or sit in home equity.

I grew up in Long Island, I didn't see it as all that special and thought NYC was more interesting. I'm not that familiar with that area of Queens (but you did say it was the good part of Jaimaca) , but you might just have a "grass is greener" on the other side mentality. Going a few miles away for shopping seems a little bit silly to me, but that's what you like I don't see why it matters, it's not that far.
We don't live with my father in law. He lives in his own house and also owns the property we live in. We just pay him rent to live at his house, and of course we take care of it well.

I just thought that maybe its bad that I'm avoiding my immediate area for errands, etc - and didn't know where I should draw the line to save money or buy a house and move. I'll be 30 this year, so we need to seriously start thinking about what we'll be doing. Thanks for your input!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I am in a similar situation so I have an idea of what you talking bout. Not liking your surrounding neighborhood can be a real drag. Your life is happening now so I wouldn't plan that much ahead and wait for yrs hoping the area will gentrify or whatever. If you think you are not ready to buy right now you can still move to the area that you enjoy and rent there. I understand that you are saving a lot now by not paying much rent, but how much actual value do you put on that versus spending yrs of your life in a place you don't like? If it's worth it then stay, but I'd prolly move.
I SO want to do this! I want to move to those luxury gated apartments in Carle Place right across from
Chilis/Raceway movie theatre next to the source mall in Garden City/Carle Place. They're gorgeous and ideal for me. I think it's $1700 for a one bedroom. That's expensive for Long Island, but that apt would make me happy enough that I probably wouldn't even need to buy. It would hurt my husband's core to "throw that money away" though. So I can't make unilateral decisions. I'd have to come up with something very financially wise. His family is a family of investors and money savers.

Who knows...I've been working in the city for so long that I'm probably jaded. I just want to live and work in the boring 'burbs, and I want life to calm down. I work on wall street 4 yrs, my commute is 90 mins and it's all too crazy. But I understand what everyone is saying about the grass is always greener...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City