Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if there is anything that totally fits what you are looking for. You have to accept some concessions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And that still takes 90 minutes?
Yes b/c I have to wait for the bus > wait at lirr > take lirr > wait at atlantic > take the train > walk to my office.

Maybe an hour and 20 if I cut everything really close and remove waiting time

Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Urgh. Middle class/upper class people who try to act hood or hard are the worst...absolute worst...
Can not agree with you more.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Yes b/c I have to wait for the bus > wait at lirr > take lirr > wait at atlantic > take the train > walk to my office.

Maybe an hour and 20 if I cut everything really close and remove waiting time
Oh. I assumed you either walked, got dropped off or parked at the LIRR station.

Hmm. How far is it? It's short, maybe a cheap bicycle could save lots of time.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,615 times
I am in the same boat with you, just moved to Rosedale from suburban LI. My husband's family lives there and we are renting the apartment in their house. My neighborhood feels safe but just a little run down and underserved. As a woman I also feel like I wouldn't want to go jogging around here or whatever, but it might just take some getting used to, I'm not sure yet. I feel all the same issue you describe though -- especially the lack of decent services and stores. What I do like is that the neighborhood seems relatively quiet (some car alarms and loud music) and full of hardworking families. But I have no idea where to go to find a gym or restaurants or what I would usually have closer by. Guess I have to go to Valley Stream!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquagirl View Post
I am in the same boat with you, just moved to Rosedale from suburban LI. My husband's family lives there and we are renting the apartment in their house. My neighborhood feels safe but just a little run down and underserved. As a woman I also feel like I wouldn't want to go jogging around here or whatever, but it might just take some getting used to, I'm not sure yet. I feel all the same issue you describe though -- especially the lack of decent services and stores. What I do like is that the neighborhood seems relatively quiet (some car alarms and loud music) and full of hardworking families. But I have no idea where to go to find a gym or restaurants or what I would usually have closer by. Guess I have to go to Valley Stream!
Definitely go to Valley Stream/Lynbrook. You're right there, anyway. Go all along Sunrise Highway and find little places to call your own. That's what we have done!

I don't exercise out doors- I'm a gym person. So, I go to the gym in the city down from my office - or I go to the gym in Oceanside on the weekends. My husband goes to Oceanside gym every day b/c he doesn't work in the city. There are NYSCs closer to you in Hewlett and Oceanside. It's a 12-15 min drive for you.

I'm glad you understand, and things could def. be worse. I live moreso near JFK than Rosedale, but I get to Rosedale in less than 5 mins. It is a bit run down, but it's quiet and you can tell it's pretty much working families. I hope it gets prettier one day.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I SO want to do this! I want to move to those luxury gated apartments in Carle Place right across from
Chilis/Raceway movie theatre next to the source mall in Garden City/Carle Place. They're gorgeous and ideal for me. I think it's $1700 for a one bedroom. That's expensive for Long Island, but that apt would make me happy enough that I probably wouldn't even need to buy.
Funny, we were driving by there last night and saying that Archstone doesn't look like LI, it looks like Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You sure about that? If they're what I'm thinking of, they're right next to a busy road and lots of asphalt. Queens sounds quieter.
We all have different tastes, but that sounds like the worst of both worlds to me (suburbia without the quiet).
Yes, this is why we don't like them at all!

It doesn't look like there's any ideal place in Queens or on LI that fits all your criteria so it's going to come down to deciding what the non-negotiables are and what you're willing to compromise on.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Funny, we were driving by there last night and saying that Archstone doesn't look like LI, it looks like Florida.

Yes, this is why we don't like them at all!

It doesn't look like there's any ideal place in Queens or on LI that fits all your criteria so it's going to come down to deciding what the non-negotiables are and what you're willing to compromise on.
Lol! Maybe that's why I like them! Well, this is all a part of the lessons of life/learning/adapting, I guess. Im Floridian and trying to find my place in the state. We are here to stay in NY and I totally don't mind. I took a loving to L.I. It feels like home most days! I'll def compromise on certain things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City