Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I owned a securities compliance firm. We did all the internal compliance and registration compliance for about 1500 investment advisory firms around the nation.

Started with just me in a small office in the corner of Texas and grew to a four-office, nationwide operation based in NYC within 7 years.
Congratulations on your success. If I were you, I'd go live in a totally different country - maybe spend a few years in Europe. I think the value of the Euro is probably going to decline compared to the dollar. Your child can perhaps learn to speak a few different languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM

115 posts, read 165,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
when you say quality of life though, that is still on a personal level. live my whole life within minutes of downtown areas in the 'burbs, some of those things you mentioned are actually quality in a way vs what i would have now.

the parking thing, yeah i can say that isn't good, but i hate driving so not having to drive is going to be amazing.

walking through snow... i'll take that any day instead of having to walk through the snow to my car, clean off my car, shovel my sidewalks, and then drive on the snow covered roads praying to god that i don't get hit because no one knows how to drive in the snow even though it's michigan and this sort of thing happens every year

motorcycle zooming down your block.. thats better than motorcycles zooming every where you are. that happens in the burbs in the city, everywhere.

drunken people stumbling... i would 100% rather have people drunkenly stumbling down the street vs drunkenly getting behind the wheel and killing yet another one of my friends.

strange men... any where my girlfriend goes she gets hit on and creeped on... even when she is wearing pajama pants and a hoodie... so that happens anywhere and everythere

mice and roaches... i'd much rather have to deal with small rodents like this, than the opossums and raccoons that we have. those getting into your garage is not a fun thing.

most everything i've read here are what i would call trade offs. you can have one thing one way, but you have to give up something else.
* Actually you have to shovel your car off in NYC too. As a matter of fact, after you shovel it off, the plow piles more of it back on...when it snows here, the parking spots are even more limited than they already are.

* It probably is best just not to own a car in the city, but I chose to for the convenience of when I had to go see relatives further away. However I didn't enjoy having my car broken into or being sideswiped (mirror knocked off and side panel jacked up) while parked.

* Do you have motorcycles zooming at 1 - 5am though? Most likely not.

I guess it really is a perspective thing, but I guess my views are based upon my having grown up there. Don't get me wrong, I like NYC and I do miss certain amenities. However, what I can get somewhere else for a fraction of the cost makes it not worth it for me to stay there.

IDK, but good luck to you and I hope you enjoy! I just tell people to make sure they are ok with the daily grind of every day living, rather than a fantasy.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
* Actually you have to shovel your car off in NYC too. As a matter of fact, after you shovel it off, the plow piles more of it back on...when it snows here, the parking spots are even more limited than they already are.

* It probably is best just not to own a car in the city, but I chose to for the convenience of when I had to go see relatives further away. However I didn't enjoy having my car broken into or being sideswiped (mirror knocked off and side panel jacked up) while parked.

* Do you have motorcycles zooming at 1 - 5am though? Most likely not.

I guess it really is a perspective thing, but I guess my views are based upon my having grown up there. Don't get me wrong, I like NYC and I do miss certain amenities. However, what I can get somewhere else for a fraction of the cost makes it not worth it for me to stay there.

IDK, but good luck to you and I hope you enjoy! I just tell people to make sure they are ok with the daily grind of every day living, rather than a fantasy.
one of my least favorite things about getting the streets plowed, is after i'm all done shoveling out my driveway.. the plow comes by and refills it all back up. i'm currently in the process of selling my car so i won't have a car there.

motorcycles are zooming all the time. i also live a quarter mile from two freeways. i hear them doing 120+ all night long. well not really... i can sleep through a tornado (literally. i've done it)

but i have no problem with the every day grind of living. at least i will be living. it's so boring here.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
We own a 4 bedroom house in outer Queens with a yard, lots of shrubs and four big trees and a good front lawn. My brother lives in a 3 bedroom condo in upper West Side with wife and kid who just graduated from an out of state private college.

I envy his being a short subway ride to Lincoln Center, but that is about IT. Whenever I visit, I walk past noisy construction being done (it is never ending in NY) and think: oh, brother, how can he stand walking down such noisy (and often, dirty) streets? The subway is so convenient, but it is also hot and sweaty in the summer. Not for me!

We grow tomatoes and have a giant cat enclosure attached to the house from the yard. Grow flowers. No bus fumes. Best rated schools in the entire five boroughs in NY - kids go to Stuyvesant, Townsend Harris and Bronx Science from here. Free.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I've just read this thread for a good laugh. 30 years ago, I met a guy who lived in NYC for about 18 months. His comment was that everyone should live there for 18 months, just so that they can appreciate how nice their home is. (way away from NYC).

Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've just read this thread for a good laugh. 30 years ago, I met a guy who lived in NYC for about 18 months. His comment was that everyone should live there for 18 months, just so that they can appreciate how nice their home is. (way away from NYC).
Because everyone knows that everything is better in Lubbock, the Center of the Universe, the World most beautiful, exciting place

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Because everyone knows that everything is better in Lubbock, the Center of the Universe, the World most beautiful, exciting place

This is how New Yorkers talk. IMO, they just don't get it.

Having lived in a place that was so much more livable than NYC! And (that other place) which has a fabulous intellectual and cultural life...I think that New York has far less of both the intellectual life and the cultural life than Boston (combined) than is appreciated, and it cannot match the overall day to day quality of life of Boston. Nor the beauty.

New York is more about commerce, Wall St., and advertising. Not interested!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

Having lived in a place that was so much more livable than NYC! And (that other place) which has a fabulous intellectual and cultural life...I think that New York has far less of both the intellectual life and the cultural life than Boston (combined) than is appreciated, and it cannot match the overall day to day quality of life of Boston. Nor the beauty.

There is no one city for everyone, and NYC is no different, it isn't for everyone, but it can be the greatest city for those that want it to be. Besides everyone should think their city is the greatest city if they love living there, it is just a state of mind.

But in the sense of livability in this country, there is definitely much better cities for that. NYC is just really, really big.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

Really? You don't know what you're talking about it.

Last edited by italianuser; 06-16-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 02:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I'm sure NYC is great for shopping, entertainment, professional sports, arts, culture, education. But if your primary interests are elsewhere, then NYC doesn't have much appeal. If you prefer to have a nice home, safe neighborhoods, high quality public schools, access to open spaces, hunting, fishing, wilderness, and mountains, then it isn't going to appeal to people. If you don't have a job that allows you to live there, NYC is out. If there are little if any jobs in your career, NYC is out. If you don't like liberal politics and you're outraged by high taxes, forget NYC. If you like riding cars or motorcyles, NYC? probably not. And finally if you hate large cities, you'd be like me and never even consider visiting NYC. Why anyone would think that everyone wants to live in their city or state, and its the best place for everyone to live and there's no better place is beyond my comprehension.

BTW, you can criticize Lubbock, Tx all you want. I'm moving as soon as I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City