Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,233,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
While the requirements don't spell out "MASTERS DEGREE REQUIRED"
it's clearly implied by requiring 150 semester hours of studies.
I don't know of anybody who just (prior to the new requirements) went for a BA and then took 30 hrs of accounting classes without getting another degree. It just makes no sense to do that...

But the hardest part of all, it's not getting the masters, or even passing the CPA (yes you can take it, but cannot be given a license without having auditing experience).
The real hard part is getting yourself a job as an external or internal auditor. The competition is fierce to say the least.

I know all of this because wifie was lucky and smart enough to get a job in a mid-sized auditing company, and is studying pretty hard to pass the second part of the CPA.
To tell you the truth, I graduated right after the industry changed and Sarbanes was passed. My college had a couple programs in place already to keep up. I graduated with 150 hours and two degrees but the second degree was by default. You dont need an extra 30 hours of Accounting classes...the regular curriculum should have all Accounting classes needed to be able to sit. The remainder of the hours can be whatever as long as the total earned is 150. My curriculum put me in a position to graduate with every business degree but Finance. A couple more classes in Mgt or Marketing or Business Admin I woulda had 5 degrees. But like I said earlier, you could go get a Masters since 150 is required. I just didnt. I started out as a Staff Accountant with no audit exposure and landed the first Internal audit gig just by chance. Been doing it every since; now Im on Manager level at major public company. But I have more Accounting experience than most people on my level cause I have done Staff and Senior Accountant, Assistant Controller in different companies and Im early 30's. I actually passed up Deloitte cause I get more bread in private industry personally. Tell her keep her head up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM

555 posts, read 1,180,400 times
What about degrees in any health fields?

With people getting older, fatter and health care changing I think it would be great to have some type of Health Administration degree or anything that will allow you to work at a hospital (nursing..etc)

Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM

458 posts, read 614,309 times
More people should think like the OP and be goal-oriented in college.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAK606 View Post
I want to go away for college and my parents are kicking me out for do so. I plan on first getting my associate's degree, beginning a career, and then going back to school to further my education. So, my question is, what are some the best associate's degrees that I could earn to "get my foot in the door" and make enough money to live decently? I don't want to have to live paycheck to paycheck.

I seem to have an interest in business because every time I think of going to school, my mind goes from business to accounting and into other related fields.

My parents now do not want anything to do with me and ultimately want me to fail. They want me to come back begging for them to let me back in. Not going to happen. I am going to use them as my motivation to become the best at what I do. Not that I am not self-driven, it's just that I can use them as more determination to make it somewhere in life and become a part of something bigger than my self.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Numerous studies have shown that people are more successful,happier in life and make more money when they do something in their work life that they have a passion for.If your interests are in business or accounting, then go with that, no matter how difficult someone tells you it might be.

Don't waste time trying to become something you aren't because you think it might provide a higher income.In the end,it probably won't.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-06-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,177,914 times
Depends what your goal is. Getting paid a lot? Stability?

Stability wise I would say anything medical that actually requires a 4 year degree, the other stuff is a hodge podge. Also gotta take into account people are living longer, which means more doctor visits, more medicine, etc etc. Also accounting. That's a field that never seems to go out of style. You will find a job, but if you wanna get a job in one of the big firms your background, what school you went to, who you know, will play more of a factor.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:19 PM

458 posts, read 614,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Don't waste time trying to become something you aren't because you think it might provide a higher income.In the end,it probably won't.
Everything in moderation, including this. Fact is, some professions simply pay more than others, whether you enjoy them or not. That said, I'm "pursuing my dreams" in a field that doesn't make much money, at least not at first, so I can't really talk.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,619,687 times
Decide what u wanna do first then get education that's needed for it, not the other way round. You don't want a job that you gon hate coming to every day for the rest of your life even if it's stable. I am majoring in criminal justice, which is not the most lucrative field, but that doesn't faze me cuz this is what I wanna do.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,524,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Decide what u wanna do first then get education that's needed for it, not the other way round. You don't want a job that you gon hate coming to every day for the rest of your life even if it's stable.
work is for making money, not for enjoyment. sure, its wonderful to have both but stability and good pay are more important than job satisfaction.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
work is for making money, not for enjoyment. sure, its wonderful to have both but stability and good pay are more important than job satisfaction.
to you

Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, set realistic, reasonable expectations, you can't be a broke loser all life, but don't base your whole career choice solely on how much you will get paid. As long as you make decent amount of money to support yourself, that's fine. You don't have to be filthy rich to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City