Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,770 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna try and make this as short as I can. I moved to NYC from a French speaking area in Canada when I was 7. I learned English really quickly and acquired a NY accent. I lived in Brooklyn for almost four years before moving to Queens for a few years. I'd forgotten most of my French by then.

After Middle School I moved back to Canada where I was picked on for being weird, having an accent and not understanding any slang words or customs. I had zero friends throughout High School and was a loser, like never left my house and got beat up and picked on kind of loser. My dad worked in NY for a couple years after we moved so I still visited a couple months a year. After he moved back to Canada we still visited 3 times a year, usually for over a week at a time but sometimes over a month.

Now I'm 19 and am about to move back to New York. I have a family friend who is the same age as me, who moved to NYC at the age of 12/13. He tells me that I'll never be a New Yorker and that I'll get made fun of since I'll be a transplant. He says he's "more of a New Yorker" than me but he speaks with a funny accent (although he brags about it being perfect) and his English grammar is far from even near-native.

I know I'm not a native New Yorker but I kinda consider myself to be from there, since I don't remember much from before I moved there and my life has been hell since I moved back to Canada. Sometimes it feels like I never left since I've shunned Canadian culture since I moved back here since I resented it so much (because I was picked on). I'd say I was a Canadian-born New Yorker. Will I really be at that much of a disadvantage when I move back, like will I just be another foreigner/transplant/immigrant? When I lived in NYC nobody could tell I was foreign, some of my best friends at school didn't even know until much later. My accent is still perfect. Will the fact that I grew up there not matter when I'm back there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 02:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,596,082 times
sorry to hear you lost most of your français. i think you're young enough that if you re-learn it it'll all come back to you fast, and that's an advantage as a job-hunter. in my humble opinion, the typical transplant from within the usa doesn't possess noteworthy bilingual skills. i assume you'll be looking for work?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 AM

43,724 posts, read 44,488,948 times
You will not be a native NYer but if you live in NY long enough you will simply be a NYer.
I don't think will be an issue for you.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM

340 posts, read 1,186,362 times
does it really matter if u are a "real new yorker" or not?
some people on this board ask the most suspect questions.
never in my 26 years of life have I ever heard a real life argument of who was "more new yorker than the other person"

Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 AM

455 posts, read 652,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
does it really matter if u are a "real new yorker" or not?
some people on this board ask the most suspect questions.
never in my 26 years of life have I ever heard a real life argument of who was "more new yorker than the other person"
Exactly! Humans will always find a reason to irrationally hate another human. So sad is the human race!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,095,470 times
I have been living in NYC for much,much longer than you have been alive and am still a transplant.You will always be a transplant but it doesn't matter.You will certainly not suffer any disadvantages because of it.

Why do you even care ?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycanada View Post
I have a family friend who is the same age as me, who moved to NYC at the age of 12/13. He tells me that I'll never be a New Yorker and that I'll get made fun of since I'll be a transplant. He says he's "more of a New Yorker" than me but he speaks with a funny accent
Dump the "friend".

Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,387,879 times
If you believe you are a NYer, nobody can tell you otherwise, certainly not a bunch of nameless people hiding behind a screen name. There is no judge and jury...and you have nothing to prove to anyone. Be whatever it is you want to be, regardless of what people say, and you will be a much happier person....and THAT is what being a NYer is all about!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
I would also add that there is a tremendous difference between teen years and young adult years when it comes to being an "outsider" or not.

Once people reach a certain age (and you are on the cusp of this threshold at 19), people don't care so much about if you are "from" a particular place.
Especially not in a big, diverse city like New York.

A few years makes a whole lot of difference.

In many cases as a young adult being different is a plus and makes you exotic.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,414,033 times
i don't know. don't worry about what some random
idiot thinks about you. just go on with your life and
get money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City