Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
The truth is that the South Bronx, no matter how you define its boundaries, is better than the public's perception. The crime statistics prove it. What I believe is delaying the improvement in the public's perception is based in racism (people's perception that brown and black faces equate to high crime). I grew up in Bedford Park in the 70's when the neighborhood was predominantly white (Italian, Irish, Jewish, Albanian). Back then, just as now, you had kids hanging out on corners in front if deli's doing the same things that the kids today in the neighborhood are doing. It's just that now the kids are mostly hispanic. Back then, most thought the neighborhood was safe; however, I bet it was not if you compare actual crime statistics. Even in this thread, I see the notion that somehow having more "white" population makes the neighborhood safer. It shows you how far we still have to go as a city and country.
Or there's a perception poor people = unsafe, as well having a history for crime (unlike say, Chinatown)

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

there's a really high amount of census tracts with a median income < $25k. Much of Bushwick and East NY isn't that poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I had a good laugh this weekend. I was walking down Prospect Ave around 156th street (Longwood area), and a cab was stopped at a light. Some lady (black) stuck her head out and yelled angrily "Ya'll migrating up here now!" To which I replied "Yup so get used to it."

I have rarely heard these things, but lately I have experienced them and I think it is a product of more visible whites moving in...I have seen quite a few more myself. Of course I am a native so it made me laugh...but you can't get into that with a crazy person in a cab..so you just gotta laugh.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I had a good laugh this weekend. I was walking down Prospect Ave around 156th street (Longwood area), and a cab was stopped at a light. Some lady (black) stuck her head out and yelled angrily "Ya'll migrating up here now!" To which I replied "Yup so get used to it."

I have rarely heard these things, but lately I have experienced them and I think it is a product of more visible whites moving in...I have seen quite a few more myself. Of course I am a native so it made me laugh...but you can't get into that with a crazy person in a cab..so you just gotta laugh.
Sometimes you gotta get with the program. I saw tourist this morning Walking on 138 street with backpacks ala Dora the explorer style. They were taking photos. So far I have seen many take photos of churches in the area especially st Ann's church which is over 250 years old.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:

I know the lady was wrong but man you really are a tool... Have to keep it PG on here but I think that word describes you well... And for the record, you're supposed stereotypical "black people beating" in comparison to the diehipster blogs that reference a culture and not one specific nationality/ethnicity/color unlike yours did, you get the award my friend for hipocrit of the year because as others mentioned on that thread... to be as creative as you were and to take the time to mention everything you mentioned, you have to have serious hatred and racism for black folk or at least the ones you referenced in that post...

It's what i've been saying for the longest about you and how while you say you are all for black rights and how this city needs to improve and blah blah blah... what you really are is a liberal apologist for black folk who like so many other apologists secretly harbor racist views and are hoping against reason that this hipster fad will continue for years to come so that all the other hard working black and hispanic folk just trying to get by in these poor working class areas can continue to be pushed out by yuppies and hipsters who are idiotic enough to pay 2000 for a two bedroom in Mott Haven while the rest of their neighbors pay market rate for the neighborhood which would probably be about 1000 less...

Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I know the lady was wrong but man you really are a tool... Have to keep it PG on here but I think that word describes you well... And for the record, you're supposed stereotypical "black people beating" in comparison to the diehipster blogs that reference a culture and not one specific nationality/ethnicity/color unlike yours did, you get the award my friend for hipocrit of the year because as others mentioned on that thread... to be as creative as you were and to take the time to mention everything you mentioned, you have to have serious hatred and racism for black folk or at least the ones you referenced in that post...

It's what i've been saying for the longest about you and how while you say you are all for black rights and how this city needs to improve and blah blah blah... what you really are is a liberal apologist for black folk who like so many other apologists secretly harbor racist views and are hoping against reason that this hipster fad will continue for years to come so that all the other hard working black and hispanic folk just trying to get by in these poor working class areas can continue to be pushed out by yuppies and hipsters who are idiotic enough to pay 2000 for a two bedroom in Mott Haven while the rest of their neighbors pay market rate for the neighborhood which would probably be about 1000 less...

???????????

Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

:cryin g:

KKK SOBROGUY..... Whats really going on????
So are white hoodies,crosses and a subscription to stormfront.org going to be the requirements for the next city-data meet up?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM

I dunno what anon is talking about? My post from another thread was merely to point out a very simple fact: Everyone thinks the blog is funny because it stereotypes hipsters, and then they meet a violent end. I simply posed a question...is it still funny when you stereotype other groups (and my example was blacks), and they meet a violent end? Clearly the answer is no based on your comment...so I am not understanding why it is AOK to stereotype one group (hipsters)...but bad to do it to another (blacks)? I do appreciate the fact that you found my writing to be creative and well written...I thought it was good too.

If you think the diehipster blog is hilarious...why not make a dieblacks blog? Diemuslim blog? Diegays blog? They should all be equally funny right? And I'm the hypocrite and racist...huh?

As for the topic at hand...the South Bronx ain't so bad, even for a liberal apologist who secretly hates blacks and hispanics, like me!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Default Get a Life Sobro

Quote:
I dunno what anon is talking about? My post from another thread was merely to point out a very simple fact: Everyone thinks the blog is funny because it stereotypes hipsters, and then they meet a violent end. I simply posed a question...is it still funny when you stereotype other groups (and my example was blacks), and they meet a violent end? Clearly the answer is no based on your comment...so I am not understanding why it is AOK to stereotype one group (hipsters)...but bad to do it to another (blacks)? I do appreciate the fact that you found my writing to be creative and well written...I thought it was good too.

If you think the diehipster blog is hilarious...why not make a dieblacks blog? Diemuslim blog? Diegays blog? They should all be equally funny right? And I'm the hypocrite and racist...huh?

As for the topic at hand...the South Bronx ain't so bad, even for a liberal apologist who secretly hates blacks and hispanics, like me!

too kool for school....

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM

Ehh...more like too school for kool. There is no doubt that if you are looking for the "scary" South Bronx, it is easily found. But if you look for trouble anywhere in NYC, you will find it easily...it just so happens it is much easier to find in some neighborhorhoods than others.

IMO the Southern Bronx still has alot of work ahead of it before it is appealing to more mainstream residents. Based on the developments occuring across the area, the greenways and new parks, new retail, new hotels, new restaurants, etc now and and on the horizon, I believe by 2020 it will be attractive to "regular people". By that time Melrose will be full developed into a working/middle class community with lots of decent amenities, and the Southern Bronx waterfront will be in the first stage of an entire transformation into a middle class neighborhood with parks/waterfront/restaurants etc with large towers with city-views....all marketed to NYers from across the city.

At least those are the seeds that have been planted, and the plan for the area...the timelime is my opinion however..it could be sooner, could be later. I think ultimately 2020 will have all the major developments up and running and developers salivating to transform the waterfront. Can't afford a $1M 1 bedroom condo with city views in Brooklyn or Queens waterfront? The Southern Bronx waterfront will offer it for half that price with double the space, easy/short commute to Manhattan in a completely new green neighborhood...and that's when the rush will begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City