Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 AM

119 posts, read 339,302 times

Advertisements

Specifically 138th and 3rd ave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
Specifically 138th and 3rd ave?
I walk past there every other day there's nothing much there except a housing project, a Puerto Rican retirement home, a chase bank, a couple ofwar monuments, a couple of barber shops a gas station an a couple of restaurants and an Hispanic lounge and forgot a fenced off lot being geared up for construction. I walked passed there a couple of times drunk as #$@# and nothing happened to me, Onetime walking drunk from a Yankee game walked home in the dark desolate streets and nothing, but then again that's my neighborhood and I'm a big guy so go figure. Onetime I saw a group of Transplants walk home together from the 4 train 138 station on there way home to their lofts in the area during the late hours of the night. Further up third avenue is where you really have to worry near Paterson PJS where onetime I heard some gunshots there. No one wont mess with you that's if your in a group, look crazy or be 6 2 270 pound cop looking type of guy like myself if not your screwed. Just joking. Its not that bad but just don't flash iphones or macbooks and be aware of your surroundings. Are you new to the area or are you really lost?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 AM

119 posts, read 339,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I walk past there every other day there's nothing much there except a housing project, a Puerto Rican retirement home, a chase bank, a couple ofwar monuments, a couple of barber shops a gas station an a couple of restaurants and an Hispanic lounge and forgot a fenced off lot being geared up for construction. I walked passed there a couple of times drunk as #$@# and nothing happened to me, Onetime walking drunk from a Yankee game walked home in the dark desolate streets and nothing, but then again that's my neighborhood and I'm a big guy so go figure. Onetime I saw a group of Transplants walk home together from the 4 train 138 station on there way home to their lofts in the area during the late hours of the night. Further up third avenue is where you really have to worry near Paterson PJS where onetime I heard some gunshots there. No one wont mess with you that's if your in a group, look crazy or be 6 2 270 pound cop looking type of guy like myself if not your screwed. Just joking. Its not that bad but just don't flash iphones or macbooks and be aware of your surroundings. Are you new to the area or are you really lost?
I have friends from all over the worst areas of nyc i presume :/ So the only housing project is Paterson? Are they that bad? Im kinda tall 5-11 but im really thin tho like 150. I guess you could say im new bc I dont venture off from Manhattan.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
I have friends from all over the worst areas of nyc i presume :/ So the only housing project is Paterson? Are they that bad? Im kinda tall 5-11 but im really thin tho like 150. I guess you could say im new bc I dont venture off from Manhattan.
Paterson and mitchell are in the same vicinity as 3 av 138 street, both arr equally bad.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
At this point the Southern Bronx is skating on a dated reputation...it is mostly hype at this point. But there is no doubt, if you are involved in the drug trade, like to hang out with the homeys in the housing projects, or other such poor life choices, you will find yourself in very unpleasant and life threatening circumstances.

So long as you keep yourself clean, and use basic common sense, the crime is really contained for the most parts to those involved in the drug trade or doing dumb things (like advertising the fact that you have 3 pounds of gold chains, or dating the drug dealers sister, etc).

Old 06-08-2012, 12:53 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No one wont mess with you that's if your in a group, look crazy or be 6 2 270 pound cop looking type of guy like myself if not your screwed.
This pretty much sums it up.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Yeah, it's bad. Along with northern Brooklyn, the south Bronx is the worst area of NYC, when you take crime and poverty rate into account. It used to be much worse, and has gotten alot better, but you can say that about every single neighborhood in NYC. What kills the south Bronx is all the housing projects and rehabilitated NYCHA tenements that cater to lower class people. This is why the west Bronx is statistically safer and has less poverty than places like Mott Haven. I see white people here, which I doubt would be the case in the heart of Mott Haven (not Port Morris). The unfortunate thing is that most of the issues that plague the west - central Bronx are due to the settlement of undesirables from the southern Bronx back in the 1970's. So you can say, that Mott Haven is the genesis for everything bad in the Bronx. However, Harlem is to blame for Mott Haven's downfall.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
At this point the Southern Bronx is skating on a dated reputation...it is mostly hype at this point. But there is no doubt, if you are involved in the drug trade, like to hang out with the homeys in the housing projects, or other such poor life choices, you will find yourself in very unpleasant and life threatening circumstances.

So long as you keep yourself clean, and use basic common sense, the crime is really contained for the most parts to those involved in the drug trade or doing dumb things (like advertising the fact that you have 3 pounds of gold chains, or dating the drug dealers sister, etc).
I'd say this is true for pretty much every classically "rough" neighborhood in NYC. Sure, someone might try and take your MacBook Air or snatch your iPhone (LOL, but seriously this is the type of crime newcomers face) but the odds of you being the victim of some horribly violent crime is slim- unless of course, you are up to no good yourself.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I'd say this is true for pretty much every classically "rough" neighborhood in NYC. Sure, someone might try and take your MacBook Air or snatch your iPhone (LOL, but seriously this is the type of crime newcomers face) but the odds of you being the victim of some horribly violent crime is slim- unless of course, you are up to no good yourself.
Very true.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Agreed for the most part. With the common exception of the stray bullet.
Every now and then you hear news stories of a pedestrian walking in the hood or a little kid playing on the streets being killed by stray bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City