Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 PM

13 posts, read 18,262 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice on moving to New York City, I'm a 22 year old Irishman who's looking to start a new life. The area where I come from has become extremely quite with much of the young people including my friends having immigrated, so there is nothing really keeping me here at the minute. Work is very scarce and I'm only getting the odd day here and there, mainly during summer time.

I said I'd post on this forum looking for advice on a few things and to see if its truly feasible thing to do. In the last few weeks I've been emailing Irish companies and bars in NYC with the hope of getting work. I got an email the other day from an Irish construction company that would be willing to take me on for the summer months, kind of a trial run to see how I get on. Then If i get the appropriate visa , they would consider taking me on full time

my first question is how would I go about doing that,( aside form green card lottery) the work I would be doing would be manual labour, would it possible that I would be eligible for a visa if i got the company to sponsor me?

Also where are the Irish neighbourhoods of the city? and is there any first generation Irish or is it all second and third generation irish that live there? Is there much GAA clubs throughout the city or are they concentrated in irish areas alone

how much is average rent in the irish areas in the city? and finally what are the main downsides to staying on illegally, is it true that you can't open a bank account and a driving lis?

Does anyone reading this know if they figure of 50,000 undocumented irish in the city is an accurate figure ?

thanks,

Id appreciate if ye could help me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City