Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

I just feel it's one thing to have a crowd gather for a peaceful protest, for a real cause, and another to have a bunch of bums just hanging outside stores, causing problems because they have no life/job. I am not suggesting we become Nazi Germany but there should be some kind of distinction between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I just feel it's one thing to have a crowd gather for a peaceful protest, for a real cause, and another to have a bunch of bums just hanging outside stores, causing problems because they have no life/job. I am not suggesting we become Nazi Germany but there should be some kind of distinction between the two.
My point exactly. You can't compare people protesting to thugs "chillin'" on the corner.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 PM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
I concur Hilltopjay. There is a major difference between protesting for a cause, and social undesirables hanging out harrassing the hood.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
this will never be a pure white
mayonnaise-head country, so
please get over it now asap.
bye.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,541 times
I am sorry to hear about your situation, Jen. And I sympathize. Several years ago my husband and I moved to Brooklyn. It was wintertime, so there was no "loitering" problem until the spring came. There was a bodega in a building next door to hours and groups of people would hang out there just like you described. I suspect that most of them were actually unemployed neighbors. I also believe that the bodega people were dealing drugs from the store. It was all just "loitering", drinking and smoking until one day, when for no apparent reason, as we were walking by, one man decided to yell profanities at us and then proceeded to throw an empty vodka bottle on our car as we were driving away. While driving away, we saw him getting high-fives from the rest of the crowd. We broke the lease and moved out the following weekend.

So yes, taking action - calling 911 if you have to - is in my opinion justified. Just be careful.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katee32 View Post
I am sorry to hear about your situation, Jen. And I sympathize. Several years ago my husband and I moved to Brooklyn. It was wintertime, so there was no "loitering" problem until the spring came. There was a bodega in a building next door to hours and groups of people would hang out there just like you described. I suspect that most of them were actually unemployed neighbors. I also believe that the bodega people were dealing drugs from the store. It was all just "loitering", drinking and smoking until one day, when for no apparent reason, as we were walking by, one man decided to yell profanities at us and then proceeded to throw an empty vodka bottle on our car as we were driving away. While driving away, we saw him getting high-fives from the rest of the crowd. We broke the lease and moved out the following weekend.

So yes, taking action - calling 911 if you have to - is in my opinion justified. Just be careful.
So to hear that happened to you. Hood people are such animals! This is why I have no sympathy for hood people and could care less if they get displaced.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katee32 View Post

Wow, that's horrible! I am so sorry you went through that! Glad you got out though.

I have suspicions that the people in the deli are dealing drugs too. i have heard rumors about it.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
Yes, this is the problem. Decent people are harrassed or preyed upon by groups such as these. This is the kind of stuff which drove good people and their families from our neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Yes, this is the problem. Decent people are harrassed or preyed upon by groups such as these. This is the kind of stuff which drove good people and their families from our neighborhood.
I agree with you....why is this? What makes them want to harass people (particularly people just going to work, etc)? It's probably just boredom on their part, they have nothing else to do.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

what is your solution to curb this anti-social and often criminal behavior?
I prefer "Live and Let Live."

And what is more anti-social, tiny groups squirelled into boxes upstairs watching television, and not speaking, or larger groups out on the street perhaps even TALKING to one another?
What is YOUR definition of "social?"

In times past, men could gather in a tavern with $.10 beers to get away from too much "domesticity." But in this City the "tavern" is for tourists able to pay rip-off prices for Alsatian beer. Teens had YMCA and Boys Clubls that cost pennies a year but NOW you need a corprorate job to pay for a chi-chi gym membership easily costing $1000 bucks.

Apartments have gotten tinier, the City has gotten more congested. So the natural result is that there are more people who "hang out" on the streets becasue that's what society has set up.

So there is no solution that isn't unconstituional and Draconian for those who hate seeing groups on the streets except to move to an area where it doesn't happen.

Pulling people off the street and calling it loitering because somebody doesn't like the way they look or dress sounds a lot like the mid 1930's Germany. That's what the first amendment is geared to protect against.

And those that want to get rid of free speech need another phrase to replace that tediopusly tired old "Fire in a Theater" claptrap. After the millionth time it's used to justify suppressing free speech it loses it's ZING. Has anyone in the histpry of mankind ever ENCOUNTERD such an event. Yes many have been burned to death because NOBODY screamed fire, becasue they remained SILENT...but that is a different story.

Hitler and Musslini had as their claims to fame that they instilled ORDER into their societies. We must be VERY careful when we too readily trade away our frredoms for MORE ORDER....we might GET it.

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-20-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City