Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM

88 posts, read 263,649 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NYC so I know what it was like back in the day but I only know up to around 135th. Can anyone tell me how it is near city college (140th st nicholas). I know Bway is all spanish, loud, music blaring but the other side of the park?
And how are the playgrounds around there?
I have an opportunity to buy cheap and I feel like I should grab it while I can but I do have a 2 year old (which I can easily take her on a bus to the UWS to do stuff since theres not a lot for children in harlem like the library or toy stores)
and BTW I do remember how it was past 96th st on bway, now look at it. I'd say it took around 10 years to be completely gentrified, if not less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I would not try to outguess the real estate moves in this City. What happened during the boom years since 1990 may or may not not be representative of what we will see in the next decade.

I think a "what you see is what you get" attitude is the right one.

As far as the real estate hype about Harlem being the next Brooklyn Heights, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Part of your immediate concern would perhaps have to be What are the public schools like near West 135th St? And this will be a concern in 3 years, not 10.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
These places may better fit you

Bismarck, North Dakota
Dubuque, Iowa - 95.4% non-Hispanic white so possibly the highest.
Duluth, Minnesota -
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Portland, Maine - City-proper is 90.6% white, but metro is whiter.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Boise, ID at 92% white
Spokane, WA at 89% white.
Eugene, OR at 88% white

Taken from Citi-data

But it all seriousness, I was walking down 125th yesterday and when I crossed third avenue 6 or 7 white kids on skate boards came flying down the street, look like an 80s california surf movie or something. SOme of them had the blond flowing hair and they had the skinny jeans and skater outfits. So I guess if not now, it will be by the time your kid is older

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
I was walking down 125th yesterday and when I crossed third avenue 6 or 7 white kids on skate boards came flying down the street, look like an 80s california surf movie or something. SOme of them had the blond flowing hair and they had the skinny jeans and skater outfits. So I guess if not now, it will be by the time your kid is older

My guess is that they were most likely hipsters just doing the urban thing.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
In Ham Heights area there are a few white families. Don't get the sense their kids go to the local schools though...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
I'm originally from NYC so I know what it was like back in the day but I only know up to around 135th. Can anyone tell me how it is near city college (140th st nicholas). I know Bway is all spanish, loud, music blaring but the other side of the park?
And how are the playgrounds around there?
I have an opportunity to buy cheap and I feel like I should grab it while I can but I do have a 2 year old (which I can easily take her on a bus to the UWS to do stuff since theres not a lot for children in harlem like the library or toy stores)
and BTW I do remember how it was past 96th st on bway, now look at it. I'd say it took around 10 years to be completely gentrified, if not less
Broadway is not all Spanish. Kinda the majority, but not all. And the loud music and such is not truthful either. I was walking around that way yesterday on my way home and its a mix. Were you lookin at the buildings in the 140'S and Broadway/Edgecomb? I too took an interest in a couple Brownstones for sale in thoise blocks. The mix of people over here would be surprising to you. And the Park on St. Nich is not bad at all. Go during the day and check it out..the whole area between 139th and 145th

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
I've been seeing more white kids/students and Asian locals in West Harlem area. Harlem seems to attract a certain Japanese crowd.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM

88 posts, read 263,649 times
I guess i'll try it out. I'm tired of all the tourists moving in lower manhattan raising the rent to 2-3k

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM

79 posts, read 434,994 times
The buildings in that area are pretty nice. There's liek a pathmark, gym, some other stuff around 145th street. I would concur that Broadway is predominantly spanish for sure. I pass by this area everyday and it certainly seems like the nicer part of Harlem.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Step One: open up a history book. Harlem is named for Haarlem--a city in The Netherlands. Who do you think founded the community? It was solidly white up until World War I.

My point is that neighborhoods in this city have never been static. Nobody should be surprised at a change in demographics; it's been happening for 300+ years, and it's still happening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: