Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times

Advertisements

My digital camera is all chucked up. I dropped it and the lens got stuck, then a lot of other crap happened to it. My warranty doesn't cover for the type of damage that's done to it. So, my only hope to fix my digital camera is to take it to a place that specializes in fixing electronics. I don't want to take it to a big chain store like Best Buy since I am worried they'll charge me an arm and an leg but I am sure it'll be expensive to get my digital camera fixed regardless but I know there has to be somewhere that would be a little cheaper.

Anywhere you know that I can get it fixed for a decent price in Bronx, Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Is this like one of your basic view and shoot digital cameras? If so might not be worth paying for fix. You can get a decent basic replacement for under $100 easy...

Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Check with the manufacturer for an authorized service center. Olympus is on the Island, Ronkonkoma, and can tell you the repair fee by model. If the camera is not worth more than $200, I would go to B&H for a replacement, unless there is sentimental value.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
These things are not made to be fixed.
Deep Six the camera and buy a better one for HALF the cost of repairing this one, presuming by some miracle it CAN be fixed.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,354 times
IMO, finding a good electronics or camera technician outside of the factory or an authorized repair center is harder than finding a good auto mechanic.

I recently tripped on my headphone cable and pulled the wires out of the plug. To send it to the factory for repair (Sennheiser) would have cost around $60. So I went to a local electronics repair place and said I didn't want to spend more than $25, which seemed more than reasonable to solder a couple of wires. They really did a mediocre, sloppy job. I would have been better off biting the bullet and sending it to the manufacturer.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
A few years back I had one that started acting up on me after I had taken it to the beach. Apparently sand got into it. I stopped using it and got another one. Funny enough, a while later I went and checked the old one and it was working again. I ended up giving it to my stepson...

Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
There's this spot in my neighborhood called Comp-u-stop... 66-32 Forest ave between Woodbine St. and Palmetto St. The M train will take you there... Get off at forest ave. Buses that stop within a block or two of the area B13, Q39, B20, Q58. They all stop right by the forest ave train stop as well. I've taken a couple of my electronic devices here and they've done a great job on both items and aren't that expensive... My laptop had been dropped a number of times and the entire bottom needed to be removed and put back together piece by piece... I asked them for the estimate... they told me about 40 it took them about 2 days and it came out perfect. Total with tax was $43. I took a controller and my phone there as well... With the controller they worked on it for about 2-3 days and since someone had leaked soda into the opening the board had fried so there was nothing they could do. They didn't charge me for the work and gave me a refurbished one cheap. They were also able to fix my phone there... Check it out. They'll tell you whether they'll be able to work on it or not and they'll give you the estimate before hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: