Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times

Advertisements

Been hearing alot of stores of violent crimes and robberies on the news lately, starting to remind me of watching the news in the 80s. Is it just a coincidence or is NYC about to become a dangerous place, like in the 80s, again?

Shooting in Jamaica kills MTA Bus driver
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
The shooting in Jamaica was on a street, outside a housing project. The guy who got shot was not driving a bus. The way you posted makes it sound like a bus passenger shot the driver.

I just saw your other post about avoiding Brooklyn and Queens at all costs.

You don't have to come here if news about a guy getting shot outside housing project scares you.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The shooting in Jamaica was on a street, outside a housing project. The guy who got shot was not driving a bus. The way you posted makes it sound like a bus passenger shot the driver.

I just saw your other post about avoiding Brooklyn and Queens at all costs.

You don't have to come here if news about a guy getting shot outside housing project scares you.
Well between the news and some of the posts on here it sounds like some parts of the city are going south fast?
I'm confused, thats why I am asking...

Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Have you read Newsday or watched News 12 LI lately? Parts of LI are scarier than most of NYC and the crime rates on LI have been going up over the last 20 years while the crime rates in NYC have been going down!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well between the news and some of the posts on here it sounds like some parts of the city are going south fast?
I'm confused, thats why I am asking...
That area has never been considered a really safe one to begin with.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Despite the Mayor's efforts to further gentrify the city, crime is on the rise. Not to the staggering levels of the early 90's, but I see street crimes in the border neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens going up again. There have been several muggings and car break-ins. Keep in mind, many crimes go unreported especially if the victim is an illegal immigrant or doesn't have a firm grasp of the English language. In the early 90s I was mugged and nearly mugged several times, I never reported it. So don't let the statistics fool you, it IS getting more dangerous out there, but I doubt it will ever get to the point that it did between 1988 - 1994.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Umm...the newspapers won't sell papers unless they scare people and create stories to instill fear. Instead of choosing to post the tabloid hype regarding crime with flashy headlines and scary stories, how about they ACTUALLY POST THE FACTS: Crime is down again for 2008!! Feel free to research another post on here with the link about crime for 2008. Why do people insist on fear mongering when the reality is just the opposite!!! Stop believing the flashy headlines..they are trying to sell papers and nothing more. Coolhands...your anecdotal evidence it just that...you "see crimes in border areas going up"? HOw do you see that? Please post the crime rates for these border areas TODAY vs last year, 5 years ago, and 10 years ago, and then let's see whether your anecdotal evidence (based on what?) is true. I suspect it is all hype as usual.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM

274 posts, read 1,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
how about they ACTUALLY POST THE FACTS: Crime is down again for 2008!!
Do you know those stats come from the police?

Funny how plenty of people who mistrust the police will trust stats from the police.

There are many ways to cook the books. You better believe the politicians apply pressure to the brass.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Do you know those stats come from the police?

Funny how plenty of people who mistrust the police will trust stats from the police.

There are many ways to cook the books. You better believe the politicians apply pressure to the brass.
Are you saying they cooked the books for 2008 but not for 2003 and not for 1997 or 1991? Why do police cook books now, this year, but in the past the police wouldn't do such a thing?

Or maybe you are saying the books are cooked at a higher rate today than the books were cooked 5 or 10 years ago? Could we see your stats on book-cooking and brass-pressure rates from 10 years ago to today?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Thanks Henna...my words exactly. And I will go a point further. TODAY I can walk through the housing projects safely(I live across the street from them in Mott Haven), and drop off my recyclables, as the housing projects has specific recycling bins for residents/community. I live in theses communities and I know firsthand whether crime is really out of hand or is actually down and safer, and don't just base my opinions on the latest flashy headline in the newspaper, or posters on this board. The city is safer than it has been in 45+ years, and is getting safer, not more dangerous. Sure there are normal variations from year to year, but it is the long term trends that matter...and they are decidedly downward..with 2008 yet another record low crime rate. Don't believe the hype...it's just papers/media trying to make a buck by scaring people..thats what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City