Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDot323 View Post
Yeah, I don't want to be in an area that's similar to where I live or worse (the PJs along Avenue D). Being a woman, I'm always fairly cautious, but I just don't wanna be aggravated with my neighborhood.
quality of life for women is a lot different for men. Most guys dont have to think about being dragged into an alley, or even hooted at every day as you walk by. Its not only quality, its saftey for me. I feel very safe here. Its not a polished diamond, but rents are good, a lot of co-ops here have ownership opportunities. The population is a lot of working class and elderly. A lot of doctors offices help keep away the hood element as well. Cruger and Holland Aves ( by me in the 2100's ) are very pretty, with gardens and great facades.

absolutely NO nightlife - but that's a plus for me. When I lived on Indian row along 6th street on the LES, I would stumble upon a drunk pissing between 2 cars or a junkie shooting up ALL the time. Yeah I love Indian food, and my fave bar was right on A & 7th, but i was afraid of what I could accidentally walk into. LES was a pit, and this was mid 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I understand Essdot. Based on your NEW requirements, I think Pelham Bay/Morris Park/Throgs Neck/Riverdale/Woodlawn/Pelham Parkway will meet your needs.

Other neighborhoods which may suit your needs include Bedford Park, Bronx Park East, and Parkchester.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
The bronx is all hood, and to say you want a non hood place when the les is gritty and dirty. Smh these folks are so delusional.
You are clearly not familiar with the Bronx with a statement like that. I mean, the obvious area that fits this description (that everyone and their momma knows about) is Riverdale...

OP, Pelham Parkway would work as well. It was so quite that I had to move LOL!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You are clearly not familiar with the Bronx with a statement like that. I mean, the obvious area that fits this description (that everyone and their momma knows about) is Riverdale...

OP, Pelham Parkway would work as well. It was so quite that I had to move LOL!
In a single person it can trigger anxiety.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:29 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I understand Essdot. Based on your NEW requirements, I think Pelham Bay/Morris Park/Throgs Neck/Riverdale/Woodlawn/Pelham Parkway will meet your needs.

Other neighborhoods which may suit your needs include Bedford Park, Bronx Park East, and Parkchester.
I totally agree with SoBro's recommendations. I have lived in Bedford Park on and off for years, and have spent a lot of time there before that. I would recommend it because it is relatively quiet, has a lot of green space (Mosholu Parkway, Botanical Gardens, Harris Park, Bronx Park), a lot of decent buildings, and good transportation. You mentioned wanting better access to the Westside. Bedford Park has the 4 train (Eastside access) and the B/D trains (via Central Park West), so it is quite convenient, especially if there is construction or an incident on one of the lines. e also have express bus service on Grand Concourse.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
The bronx is all hood, and to say you want a non hood place when the les is gritty and dirty. Smh these folks are so delusional.
Erhem the Bronx is not all hood, come on bruh...

OP look into Kingsbridge and Van Cort Village...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,102 times
Lost_Boy is the troll that was asking people how much they made in another thread...dont feed it

Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I thought the 7-11, formerly Store 24, was across the street from the Middletown Rd stop, not the Pelham Bay stop. Maybe there is a 7-11 at the Pelham Bay stop which I am unaware of though. That area has its share of the hood element, although it is the "white" kids..but that tends to be viewed as "kids being kids". Once it becomes black and brown kids though, it is viewed as a problem/bad families/ bad element moving in/intolerable.

Yes the Concourse/Yankee Stadium area has been changing and becoming populated with DINKS (dual income-no kids), Homosexuals, working professionals, some artsy types, as well as those like you seeking great buildings/more space/more affordability. However, you will deal with a hood element here, that's just the way it is.

There's the 7-11 on Middletown Rd and also one a couple of blocks before the Pelham Bay stop (that's the one he's referencing). Demographically, Pelham Bay has changed it's "face", many Hispanic families have moved into the area in the last 5 years or so, certainly in the buildings closer to the park.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Those Hispanic families have been moving to Pelham Bay, Throgs Neck, Morris Park, and Pelham Parkway for decades....they are just now much more visible because there are lots of them around. But they have been moving into these communities since the 80s....and moving substantially larger numbers since 2000.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM

21 posts, read 29,580 times
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Last night, I checked out a place in VCV and really liked. I ran home to apply and the realtor told me there's a good chance that I'd be approved because of my salary.

I'm feeling lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City