Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM

431 posts, read 659,674 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine just got the bad news yesterday that she will have to move from her 4 bedroom apt to a 1 bedroom. She is truly upset but we all knew this day was coming. She has lived in the apartment for 50 years. I've read threads about this on the forum so I guess NYCHA is forcing people out of their large apartments and giving it to those who really need the space for their large families. She will live in the same building but on a different floor.

The apartment had 4 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. In the 60's my grandmother put a washer and dryer in the apartment. The rent for her apartment was only $800 a month. For the 1 bedroom she is moving to the rent is only $525 a month. She is retired now. She tried to put other relatives on the lease in the last few years but was told no from the Housing Manager.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by mesa1974; 06-14-2012 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I think it's fair and reasonable because she is wasting all that space that others could use.

It would also be fair if the HA provided some movers for her. Hauling 50 years of stuff is not for the faint of heart...or the elderly.

The hardest part for her will be deciding what to toss out because I'll bet all those excess bedrooms are full.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 AM

All of the bedrooms are full. She is giving most of the furniture to Salvation Army.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Hmm...so NYCHA is considering some peoples' actual needs versus others' wants? That gets them at least a silver star!

By the way, as regards the defense of your relative, do you think she was right to try and put others on the lease just to be able to keep the 4-bedroom?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
This is great news for those in real need of housing.

It's absolutely mesmerizing how people can live that long in public housing.

I assume from your post that she's single, since she was given another 1br apt.
how long did she live by herself on a 4br, 2bath apt?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
This is great news for those in real need of housing.

It's absolutely mesmerizing how people can live that long in public housing.

I assume from your post that she's single, since she was given another 1br apt.
how long did she live by herself on a 4br, 2bath apt?

She was living in the apartment alone for 30 years.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
She was living in the apartment alone for 30 years.

These are the type of cases that fire people up.
It's just not right.
Anyway, I'm glad NYCHA is finally doing their job.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:20 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
A relative of mine just got the bad news yesterday that she will have to move from her 4 bedroom apt to a 1 bedroom. She is truly upset but we all knew this day was coming. She has lived in the apartment for 50 years. I've read threads about this on the forum so I guess NYCHA is forcing people out of their large apartments and giving it to those who really need the space for their large families. She will live in the same building but on a different floor.

The apartment had 4 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. In the 60's my grandmother put a washer and dryer in the apartment. The rent for her apartment was only $800 a month. For the 1 bedroom she is moving to the rent is only $525 a month. She is retired now. She tried to put other relatives on the lease in the last few years but was told no from the Housing Manager.

What are your thoughts on this?
I don't think anyone should ever be allowed to stay in public housing for so long.It should be temporary and fairly short term,maybe 5 years max,for people who have fallen on hard times.She should have been removed from public housing decades ago.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should ever be allowed to stay in public housing for so long.It should be temporary and fairly short term,maybe 5 years max,for people who have fallen on hard times.She should have been removed from public housing decades ago.

And of course, a reasonable tie in to the assumption that hard times are temporary would be a safety net that GUARANTEES the fact.

But in this society MANY are beset with hard times that have no end. Should THAT be allowed?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And of course, a reasonable tie in to the assumption that hard times are temporary would be a safety net that GUARANTEES the fact.

But in this society MANY are beset with hard times that have no end. Should THAT be allowed?
People who are disabled or "beset with hard times that have no end" or who generally cannot function in society should definitely be helped but not with apartments for life and probably not in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: