Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,809 times

Advertisements

Ah, W 114th Fredrick Douglass Blvd. One of the very worst blocks in Harlem.

The Randolf Houses are not getting shut down. They are being renovated thanks to their **** condition. The residents are being displaced to other developments. If Prospect Plaza is any indicator, this project won't be completed for at least 10 years. The NYCHA is a joke. Eventually things will again be as they were.

BTW, these are not brown, highrise PJ's. These are NYCHA rehabs. Old walkup tenements.

BTW, those brown housing projects would need a lot, and I mean A LOT of changes before they became market rate. As it is now, they are like prisons. You live in that environment when you have no other options.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-26-2007 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
The projects were well built, but poorly thought out. That's their failure.

There is no reason that public housing has to be a failure in America. I used to live in Singapore where 85% of the population lives in public housing. Over there it is safe, clean, and affordable. (Housing and Development Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In America most people above some threshold of poverty run away from public housing like its the plague. It is only this way because of our government's bad policies.
Actually, it wasn't "poorly" thought out. The plans were very intentional!

The original plan for the PJs were for troops coming home from the War. (See Fort Greene, Farragut Houses, right by the Navy Yard). But Our Boys came home and went to the suburbs. So Urban planners had to come up with people to fill them. It just so happened that Folk from Down South and Puerto Rico were coming up North looking for the Promised Land. Unfortunately, the PJs became anything but a land of milk and honey!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Says who?

?

?

?
HARLEM. The Harlem Renaissance. The turning point in African American culture.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM

37 posts, read 97,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Ah, W 114th Fredrick Douglass Blvd. One of the very worst blocks in Harlem.

The Randolf Houses are not getting shut down. They are being renovated thanks to their **** condition. The residents are being displaced to other developments. If Prospect Plaza is any indicator, this project won't be completed for at least 10 years. The NYCHA is a joke. Eventually things will again be as they were.

BTW, these are not brown, highrise PJ's. These are NYCHA rehabs. Old walkup tenements.

BTW, those brown housing projects would need a lot, and I mean A LOT of changes before they became market rate. As it is now, they are like prisons. You live in that environment when you have no other options.
WOW, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but, this block is HOT, walked down there today, then down St Nicks Ave to 110th, before walking through El Barrio and this was hands down the worst block I've come across for a long while.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 PM

111 posts, read 173,707 times
Harlem has always being HOT. You should go there in the Spring/Summer time. (Yikes)

Gentrification will take 20 years for Harlem and Washington Heights. Although, i have seen many luxury apts in both areas. They are usually surrounded by a low QOL.

The majority of the people that live there love the hood environment and this is the biggest problem.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 PM

37 posts, read 97,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman Jr View Post
Harlem has always being HOT. You should go there in the Spring/Summer time. (Yikes)

Gentrification will take 20 years for Harlem and Washington Heights. Although, i have seen many luxury apts in both areas. They are usually surrounded by a low QOL.

The majority of the people that live there love the hood environment and this is the biggest problem.
Unfortunately I have, I cant really not!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Strictly from a building construction perspective......

No New York City Housing project should be demolished! Those buildings are too well-built to be destroyed! You just don't tear down any brick housing built between the New Deal and the early 60s.

Absolutely! Those buildings are built like forts.

If they want to tear down JUNK they should tear down any "luxury" tower built by RELATED in the last 20 years becasue they might as well have been built out of Legos.
I watched them demolish a Housing Prject in Jersey City (Curries Woods) and the wrecking ball hammered and hammered and hammered to get down one wall...and then moved to another. They had MASONRY between every room. It took forever to take down each tower.

Today's cheesy drywall construction guarantees you will hear your neighbor FART.

What people are REALLY saying when they say Housing Project towers shouyld be demolished is that they want the PEOPLE in them "demolished." But they know it sounds bad so they quibble, i.e., LIE.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 PM

175 posts, read 235,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futcha View Post
it won't work out the way they wanted. They'll put in all these stores, until one day a protest on public housing turns into a riot. It's only a matter of time. Leave harlem the way it is, that's one ghetto that should be left alone in america. The most important ghetto in america.

absoulutely agree!!!!!...harlem is an historically black and yes ghetto area...we cant afford to move to f***** central park south ...so they need to stay where they belong!!! Not a racist but the truth is the truth!!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM

175 posts, read 235,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick bateman jr View Post
harlem has always being hot. You should go there in the spring/summer time. (yikes)

gentrification will take 20 years for harlem and washington heights. Although, i have seen many luxury apts in both areas. They are usually surrounded by a low qol.

how dare you!!!..aint nothing wrong wit the "hood environment"...certain hoods have the vibe they have becuase thats the way its supposed to be!!.crown hts is full of jews, soho is full of yuppies,the south bronx is full of spanish...my point is that nyc is a diverse place..and its ****in downright wrong to push families out simply becuase you can afford to live there and decided you want to leave your neck of the woods.. .you cant turn all 5 boros into the land of the ****in rich!! Becuz contrary to popular belief ummm nyc wouldnt be able to survive without the poor...sorry..i dont think bloomberg has enough to keep new york city afloat...neither of his friends either...

Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 AM

111 posts, read 173,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
how dare you!!!..aint nothing wrong wit the "hood environment"...certain hoods have the vibe they have becuase thats the way its supposed to be!!.crown hts is full of jews, soho is full of yuppies,the south bronx is full of spanish...my point is that nyc is a diverse place..and its ****in downright wrong to push families out simply becuase you can afford to live there and decided you want to leave your neck of the woods.. .you cant turn all 5 boros into the land of the ****in rich!! Becuz contrary to popular belief ummm nyc wouldnt be able to survive without the poor...sorry..i dont think bloomberg has enough to keep new york city afloat...neither of his friends either...
No one said anything about pushing families out. It's usually the landlords who push those families out to improve the QOL, increase profits, etc. Nothing in life stays the same.

Are you saying that Harlem and Washington Heights (2 neighborhoods that i lived in) are predisposed to being hood/ghetto? To be hood/ghetto is a state of mind which usually hinders the economic and social progress of an individual. Not sure why anyone would associate themselves with that mind-frame. Just because you see rappers act,talk,dress, etc that way in music videos and movies does not being you should too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City