Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 AM

340 posts, read 1,181,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Are you honestly gonna sit there and claim that this doesn't happen every day in this city? A sizable amount in the Bronx alone? Let's not be silly here..

I think he means it doesnt normally start until 9am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,335,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Glad to see you are back complaining about the Bronx wawawee. You had a terrible experience growing up in abject, generational poverty and "made it out." Congratulations! So why spend all your time bashing it now that you are gone? Haven't you moved on to "bigger and better"????

As for your specific comments, you WONT find "able bodied men playing Dominos at 8am"...I mean really..so silly. Just cuz your uncles/cousins/friends did that on your block don't make it the norm.

And as for the poverty not fleeing...well the answer to your question is this: Where did you flee to?
You must be mentally disturbed.

I grew up in Midwood, Brooklyn. There's nothing inherently wrong with growing up in poverty but I never claimed to.

I don't venture to the Bronx too much unless it's too see some friends. My father has been on various job sites there for the past 20+ years though. Same garbage Little has changed. He has no reason to lie.

Riddle me this Sobro. It's an undeniable fact that NYC has it's fair share of poverty and (increasing) income inequality along with healthy welfare/assistance programs. Where are all the poor folks going to go? Poof! They will disappear because...?

In a poor economic climate this is a zero sum game.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post

touche'

Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,207,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
lol! In my neighborhood the first Domino game starts 11.30am. A good night sleep is important.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
Not at all....it is no different than anyone else hanging out on in any other neighborhood. EXCEPT that no able-bodied grown men are out at 8am playing dominoes....that's the silly part. They are probably out much later playing...but to that I say so what? Should we be confined like animals to our homes, only to go outside to work or run errands? Is such an actively not to be enjoyed outside?

Seems kinda silly that people are complaining about adults sitting and playing a card game (except with dominos). I guess 50 years ago when the kids were always playing stick-ball..yelling/screaming in the streets...that was AOK...of course they were mostly white so no problem there.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
Wawawee...of course NYC has its own fair share of poverty.....tell when when it hasn't????? And what happened to the destitute Irish? They moved up and/or out..destitute Jews? The moved up and/or out....destitute Italians? They moved up and/or out..and on and on. History has shown since the city's mass migration of poor Irish swarmed the city in the 1800s what happens to the poor...THEY MOVE UP AND/OR OUT....some take longer than others however. This isn't to say that poverty ends, they are replaced with others...at least that used to be the case.

Simply knowing some history would make your life less bitter. As for increasing disparity of wealth..NYC history can talk to that also. Reading is fundamental.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,929 times
Great rebuttal, except that we are discussing grown men not children. Grown men that could be out looking for a job on a weekday afternoon instead of sitting around playing games while collecting welfare. And if you are denying that this happens, you are either blatantly lying to us/yourself or you need to open your eyes.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,335,528 times
Quote:
Wawawee...of course NYC has its own fair share of poverty.....tell when when it hasn't????? And what happened to the destitute Irish? They moved up and/or out..destitute Jews? The moved up and/or out....destitute Italians? They moved up and/or out..and on and on. History has shown since the city's mass migration of poor Irish swarmed the city in the 1800s what happens to the poor...THEY MOVE UP AND/OR OUT....some take longer than others however. This isn't to say that poverty ends, they are replaced with others...at least that used to be the case.

Simply knowing some history would make your life less bitter. As for increasing disparity of wealth..NYC history can talk to that also. Reading is fundamental.
You're even more ignorant than I thought.

What you said is true but there's one huge difference between then and now. The NYC welfare state. Like I stated before, these people have no incentive to move out because being poor in NYC is better than being poor in virtually the rest of the country. Most of these folks wouldn't make it a month being poor in bumble****, USA where the tax base isn't large enough to create a welfare state.

Most Irish and Jews moved up not out and under different circumstances. It's not only a matter of poverty. It's also a matter of mentality.

While I see elderly Chinese men and women in Brooklyn collecting cans to supplement their income there are able bodied men in these Bronx ghettos just hanging out all day.

Think about that. Most of these elderly Chinese lived in actual abject poverty throughout most of their lives as well as oppressive political regimes where they weren't allowed to exploit their physical or intellectual abilities.

They can play dominoes all they want but I don't think people pay taxes to supplement this activity. Trying to help most of these people is a losing proposition.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 09-29-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:

I agree sobroguy, I too pride myself with learning the past especially of this city and my very own neigborhood of Mott Haven, Im very intrigued by the ones who came before. At one point every group was improvished in the city. I have to say the poverty of the IRish and the squalor they lived in during the 19th century is far worse then that of the South Bronx. In the south Bronx we have to worry about asthma but back in those days in Lower Manhattan 2/3 men had STD and TB was rampent. People must educate themselves historically and you would be less bitter to know that your in a better place now comapred to those before who were in worse shape but also manage to fight and get out of those situations. Shunning history makes you ingnorant and it allows the past to repeat itself eventually!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You're even more ignorant than I thought.

What you said is true but there's one huge difference between then and now. The NYC welfare state. Like I stated before, these people have no incentive to move out because being poor in NYC is better than being poor in virtually the rest of the country. Most of these folks wouldn't make it a month being poor in bumble****, USA where the tax base isn't large enough to create a welfare state.

Most Irish and Jews moved up not out and under different circumstances. It's not only a matter of poverty. It's also a matter of mentality.

While I see elderly Chinese men and women in Brooklyn collecting cans to supplement their income there are able bodied men in these Bronx ghettos just hanging out all day.

Think about that. Most of these elderly Chinese lived in actual abject poverty throughout most of their lives as well as oppressive political regimes where they weren't allowed to exploit their physical or intellectual abilities.

They can play dominoes all they want but I don't think people pay taxes to supplement this activity. Trying to help most of these people is a losing proposition.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City