Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,592,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
It really isn't practical to prevent people from having children. Reproduction is a primary biological urge, sometimes superceding that towards survival (I've certainly done some poisonously stupid things while attempting to satisfy it)

I'm not terribly delighted with the idea of people on the dole popping out bambinos either, but, how would one prevent them from doing so?

Just about everything I can think of would be a really egregious assault on human dignity. Ever hear of the "Eugenics Movement?"

The cure is worse than the disease.
True, and I don't support Eugenics either, but look at it this way: If you put aside all the social and moral agruments for a second, on a pure dollar and cents level governments both locally and on a national basis cannot continue to feed these massive public sectors without reform. Europe is collapsing under it and so are some states (CA, IL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,763,590 times
As if drug testing people who the state sends survival money too is going to change anything- People love to hate the poor..because they live with an inner terror that they may become what they hate. People think if the beat down the poor that their masters higher up the food chain will reward them and welcome them into their exclusive class..I got news for you- the super rich and influential are going to give you nothing for your efforts in kicking those that do not even make good slaves such as yourselves.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,239,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
As if drug testing people who the state sends survival money too is going to change anything- People love to hate the poor..because they live with an inner terror that they may become what they hate. People think if the beat down the poor that their masters higher up the food chain will reward them and welcome them into their exclusive class..I got news for you- the super rich and influential are going to give you nothing for your efforts in kicking those that do not even make good slaves such as yourselves.
You make no sense.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,898 times
Quote:
I would not say that I "hate" the poor, but for me, and for many others, living around them, riding the train with them, and so on, is getting old. Too much garbage, too much noise late at night, too many children and all are unsupervised. I could create a big list.

In no way do I have such an inner terror !

Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,886,402 times
Quote:
Exactly!!!

Middle and working class people in America love to bash the poor. They look at them over their shoulder with indifference and sometimes with comptent, while at the same time they look up to the super-rich.

Ohh the job creators! Dont talk bad about them, don't tax them, don't say anything but words of appreciation about them. Why? because, I myself, might be one of them one day!

John Lennon put it nicely in one of his songs;

Keep you doped with religon, sex and T.V.
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fvcking peasants as far as I can see

Working Class Hero is something to be

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,994,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Exactly!!!

Middle and working class people in America love to bash the poor. They look at them over their shoulder with indifference and sometimes with comptent, while at the same time they look up to the super-rich.

Ohh the job creators! Dont talk bad about them, don't tax them, don't say anything but words of appreciation about them. Why? because, I myself, might be one of them one day!

John Lennon put it nicely in one of his songs;

Keep you doped with religon, sex and T.V.
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fvcking peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

sounds about right, we live in a culture that thrives off looking down at others, especially the poor, but god forbid we do or say anything bad about the rich cause they promise we will all be rich too someday!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,428,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Come on Steve...fess up already. Just say you smoke weed or pop pills. we all know your urine test or hair sample test is gonna back back dirty. I can read between the lines.
Try reading the lines.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
lol..

Old 06-22-2012, 02:44 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,763,590 times
Those at the top of the heap look down on what is left of the middle class with the same loathing as the middle class have for the poor. That's just the way it is. Don't expect anything from on high from the influential and super rich..'Waiting like a dog hoping that a crumb of bread will fall from the masters table" There is no trickle down effect- The poor do not make themselves poor. It is done to them...The elite will gladly send the poor and average people off to war to guard their interests. They will never send their own children..but will gladly use yours up and waste them.

Yes the dirty unwashed masses are unpleasant at times..and they are loud and badly behaved..Don't be so smug..I have seen the finest and richest families lose it all in two generations and their grand children are on welfare..Poor is not forever - nor is rich.

Those who feel so materially secure and think it will last forever had better be prepared to survive with nothing..Historically revolutions take place- bloody ones and bloodless ones. Those at the top shift to the bottom and some of the best at the bottom revolve up to the top.

I think of myself..My father's family had 2000 acres of land- a business that thrived ..75 servants who kept the place going. My siblings are all doing well...because of the choices they made and their drive and desire for money- Myself...I am a pauper...with no regrets...The point I am making is social disturbance along with war- economic collapse - revolution and famine- can bring anyone to their knees...You say it can't happen here...It can happen any where...Don't kick around the unfortunate- cos you may need a friend some day that might come from that "low" class.....

Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,132,301 times
No one promises you anything. This concept of hating the rich and loving the poor, that's crazy. We should all tolerate each other, but I'm not going to just love the poor because they are poor. Most people who are rich found something people needed, and filled that gap. That's something special. Adam Carolla was right, he said people used to point to a guy driving a Bentley and elbow his kid, "see that guy, that guy is someone you want to be". Now we point to the rich and say "hey he has a Bentley! GET HIM!". It's popular to blame the rich. There are some rich who are jerks, but there are plenty that donate, that build companies and offer jobs to Americans. All you hear about are the ones that try to lie and cheat and scam. The rich do more then probably all the poor combined.

Do we want to be rich? Yes! That's the American Dream. To be successful. To give this country something that people love. Why must we hate both sides? I don't hate the poor, I hate the people that decide to make living on welfare a career choice. That make bad decisions that we must pay for. I can say the same of the rich. Hurting our country trying to gain profits. But that's life. All we want is something to reign in the people that are abusing the system, just like we want to reign in the idiots that hurt this country who are rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City