Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times

Advertisements

Actually I moved from New York to Dallas for a job opportunity.

My take: Dallas is very cheap and that helps alleviate a lot of the stress of living in New York. Its basically a huge sprawl so one must drive everywhere. Taking public transportation is looked down upon there. It moves slower than New York, although that is not a bad thing as the people have more of an attention span. The people are outwardly friendly which freaked me out at first. It also has an inordinate amount of Bible thumpers- I cannot imagine being Jewish there. Ultimately, it was not my cup of tea and I left. But I cannot condemn the place.

If you do go, try to live in Dallas proper. All of the burbs are sterile and generic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

448 posts, read 1,587,746 times
I moved from Brooklyn to Houston in January of 2006. Its a great place to live in that your money goes into nice and wonderful homes. Cost of living is much cheaper and you dont pay a state income tax. Personally I like it, but I will be moving back to NYC in a few years because I dont have any family down here.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 87,173 times
hmmm, something to think about. thanks for all your advice.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 20,538 times
Default I live in fort worth TX

Hi I think we may pass ways if you do end up moving. My wife has a job opp. in NYC and I think she may get an offer. Depending where exactly you live will be a huge factor. People like to lump Fort Worth in with dallas when this is not the case at all. Dallas is about 35 miles east of fort worth and is much busier and in my opinion has an awful vibe. But if you do move you will learn that most people in fort worth hate dallas and most people in dallas hate fort worth. I don't hate dallas I just don't prefer it. There are some great areas of dallas just like anywhere. I think in your situation it would be a great move. If it means you getting more time with kids and all. One thing that is awful about here and by here I mean the metroplex DFW. You have to drive everywhere. And everyone seems to be getting bigger cars. People drive fast and there is a lot of traffic. Say if you ended up buying a house in fort worth and driving to Dallas, that is an hour plus commute in the car. Just a few tidbits. Oh and just for the record... Not everyone wheres boots and hats.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 87,173 times
thanks for the inside information. I drive everywhere anyway so thats not so bad. I am going to visit before we decide. thanks. good luck with you move, if you decide to go.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 28,388 times
Exclamation Don't Do It!

Hey Carleen,

I was born in New York and lived there until I was about 13. I'm 24 now. Although I only had to endure Texas' wrath for about four years (I went to college in the Northeast), those four years were the worst of my life. I now live in New York and don't ever want to go back again. My first reason is that Texas is HIGHLY bible-oriented. I do not know if you are Christian, but I AM. Even though I am Christian, it always got really annoying to hear people talking about God every single damn day. There was absolutely no diversity there. My second reason is that the heat during the summer is UNBEARABLE. The first time I came to Texas, the highs in October were in the 90's! During the summer the highs are in the 100's for a good part of the season. My third reason is that the weather can get really bad in the spring. Severe weather is not uncommon, and considering the fact that the DFW area is in tornado alley, tornadoes aren't rare! Although snow can sometimes get annoying here in New York, it is worth dealing with. There is no mass transportation and although you may think you're okay with driving 50 miles everyday (if you haven't come here yet) you definitely won't be in a little while. I currently live in Manhasset Hills and I am glad to be out of that horrifying ordeal.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleen View Post
My question, is it stupid to move to Texas because we can afford a beautiful home in a nice area? I would also be able to stay at home with my children.
If these things are stupid I would like to know what intelligent is. Take a risk. You and your family continue to love and support each other. Don't worry about your friends. People always talk about their friends when they discuss moving. If you are happy and enjoying yourself, friends will co - sign and move out there too. That is just how people are. Good luck

Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
My first reason is that Texas is HIGHLY bible-oriented
Man is it ever! People in the office would come up to me and start yammering about their church and would I like to attend. They do not take the subtle hints and do not realize that their behavior is offensive. These nice folks cannot conceptualize a person who is not a zealot like them.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,829 times
Well, there you have it. The pros and cons all laid out. What is "right" or "wrong" is totally up to you and what your priorities are.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,829 times
Oh yeah--the OP noted that her family is racially diverse. Would this be a problem in Texas or no--or are there certain areas of Texas that are more tolerant than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City