Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times

Advertisements

Too much talk. Lets organize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM View Post
Too much talk. Lets organize this.
Alright, let's do it. I'm going to work on this over the holidays. The question would be what to work on. Maybe try to look over the research paper for the Triboro RX and base projections using their model? Does anyone have some links to examples of people calculating purported ridership levels for similar projects (most especially, a new transfer link)? I'm guessing something might have been written for the Jay Street R connection that was done recently or the Uptown 6 at Broadway-Lafayette. I'm thinking doing something like that along with a website and then maybe something social media-y. Does it make sense to also call for the eventual phasing out of both Lorimer and Hewes? The MTA put money into refurbishing them pretty recently, but any push to get the MTA to do this would probably take so long that Lorimer and Hewes would probably be up for fixing by the time it's finished anyhow. The thing is, closing down stations is a quick way to get people pissed and against the idea, but having that many stops over there is ridiculous.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The MTA's study on the G Train mentioned a free out of system transfer to the J [on page 7]. On the last page, it made the list of not recommended due to loss of revenue.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The MTA's study on the G Train mentioned a free out of system transfer to the J [on page 7]. On the last page, it made the list of not recommended due to loss of revenue.
That's interesting. It's true that making some people pay twice is a revenue source--maybe an analysis of making the the combined Broadway stop would have to include some projections of how there might be additional users. I'm thinking the arguments for it aren't really going to hinge so much on additional revenue (sure, better service might attract more riders, but for these neighborhoods there simply isn't much of easy non-MTA alternative), but on the MTA as a public benefit corporation has a fairly low cost opportunity to improve their services quite a bit. I'm sort of amazed by the 2300 people who make their own out of station transfer a day though.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's interesting. It's true that making some people pay twice is a revenue source--maybe an analysis of making the the combined Broadway stop would have to include some projections of how there might be additional users. I'm thinking the arguments for it aren't really going to hinge so much on additional revenue (sure, better service might attract more riders, but for these neighborhoods there simply isn't much of easy non-MTA alternative), but on the MTA as a public benefit corporation has a fairly low cost opportunity to improve their services quite a bit. I'm sort of amazed by the 2300 people who make their own out of station transfer a day though.
It's only a 3 minute walk, I guess it's fastest way to get to Lower Manhattan for some (or maybe they want the M)? It's rather silly to say we won't make things more convenient because we'll lower revenue but I can see why they want to prevent from being abused for people getting free rides. Hopefully some day they'll add a Broadway J stop and remove the Lorimer and Hewes stops. The J has some really short stop spacing in places!

Also, the N passes by the Queens Plaza on an elevated track. Perhaps it should get an extra stop to connect with the E/M/R?

Last edited by nei; 12-02-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's only a 3 minute walk, I guess it's fastest way to get to Lower Manhattan for some (or maybe they want the M)? It's rather silly to say we won't make things more convenient because we'll lower revenue but I can see why they want to prevent from being abused for people getting free rides. Hopefully some day they'll add a Broadway J stop and remove the Lorimer and Hewes stops. The J has some really short stop spacing in places!

Also, the N passes by the Queens Plaza on an elevated track. Perhaps it should get an extra stop to connect with the E/M/R?
Yea, the removal of the Lorimer and Hewes J/M stops and the additional J/M stop right over and connected to the G train is what I'm arguing for. I'm surprised that the 3 minute walk, possible extra fare, and the percentage of people to which the idea of an out of station transfer there would occur is able to get that many people a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City