U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,795,724 times

Advertisements

Typically, I've always gone to a chain grocery store to buy liquor. They are always cheaper than liquor stores, even if it's a "ghetto" liquor store. But, it seems like none of the CVS's, Walgreens etc sell liquor. The best I've found is Astor Spirits on Lafayette and 4th st. And they are still more expensive than like a Safeway grocery store. Are there any chain grocers that sell liquor in Manhattan? Wine and beer have been easier to find, but I'm a vodka person. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

825 posts, read 2,682,848 times
AFAIK, you won't find chain stores or supermarkets selling liquor like you see in the suburbs.

About the best you can do is find a good local liquor store.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM

24,401 posts, read 34,236,890 times
skyway,

Slightly cheaper than ASTOR LIQUORS is a large outlet on Broadway a half block South of Astor Place called WAREHOUSE WINES AND SPIRITS. Thy undercut Astor Liquors on every item I checked.
It'a also a little more convenient to the subway.
It's been in the same location for a million years.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,795,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
skyway,

Slightly cheaper than ASTOR LIQUORS is a large outlet on Broadway a half block South of Astor Place called WAREHOUSE WINES AND SPIRITS. Thy undercut Astor Liquors on every item I checked.
It'a also a little more convenient to the subway.
It's been in the same location for a million years.
I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,399,920 times
Maybe some of the bulk warehouses, like Costco or BJ's will have. I know they carry beer and wine, can't remember if they carry liquor.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,662,539 times
Every Costco has a liquor store next to it. They usually have pretty competitive prices.
So if you live close to one you might wanna give it a shot.

There's also a large new liquior store right next to the national liquidators also in LIC (Northen Blvd & 48st).
They have VERY good prices on wines and liquors.

Astor Liquors has a good selection. I remember once buying a case of 12 wines for $100 with free delivery to Brooklyn. I thought it was a good deal.

ps; sorry I didn't realize you're looking for Manhattan only.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM

100 posts, read 183,579 times
man up and make your own......cheaper just a lil time consuming

Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM

7,844 posts, read 12,495,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Typically, I've always gone to a chain grocery store to buy liquor. They are always cheaper than liquor stores, even if it's a "ghetto" liquor store. But, it seems like none of the CVS's, Walgreens etc sell liquor. The best I've found is Astor Spirits on Lafayette and 4th st. And they are still more expensive than like a Safeway grocery store. Are there any chain grocers that sell liquor in Manhattan? Wine and beer have been easier to find, but I'm a vodka person. Thanks!
I'm guessing you're not from NY

There was a proposal for grocery stores to sell wine in NY but I have yet to see any on the shelves.

When I'm down in Florida I usually visit a Walgreens for wine or alcohol and several of the Walgreens had an attached liquor store. I think buying in Manhattan will always be more expensive no matter what store you go to. Might be cheaper to go to another borough and pay the subway fare. Unless you're buying a case of booze. Wouldn't wanna lug that back

Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM

82 posts, read 211,228 times
Not sure why no one is giving the straightforward answer here - there's no liquor in chain grocery stores in NYC because it's illegal for there to be liquor in chain grocery stores in NYC. Not even wine above a certain percentage - that's why there's awful fake "Chateau Diana" 8% alcohol wine in some groceries.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM

880 posts, read 1,943,860 times
I think there is a NYs law which says yo cannot sell liquor at a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City