Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 PM

180 posts, read 335,288 times

Advertisements

Are people actually like this or is this just a very small minority? Basically is there an elitist attitude for some that live in other boroughs to think that because you dont live there but live in Manhattan you arent as good as them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
Are people actually like this or is this just a very small minority? Basically is there an elitist attitude for some that live in other boroughs to think that because you dont live there but live in Manhattan you arent as good as them?
Of course not.
How silly to use a zip code to inflate one's sense of self.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
I only look down on people for living in Manhattan if I find out that they squander 40% or 50% or more of their income on rent or that they live with a roommate in a studio apartment or an apartment where there is no living room ,in order to make sure they live there.Double look down if they are living with a roommate in a studio apartment and still paying 50% of their income on rent.These kinds of situations make me think they are stupid.

Other than situations like this,no.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Who cares?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Who cares?
Exactly.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,702 times
It's more like the other way around.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 AM

15 posts, read 47,438 times
definitely the other way around, but they just dont know what they are missing. Ive lived in manhattan and queens and would rather have my 1100 sq ft apt in queens over the tiny studio I could afford in the city. But i do have kids, so if i were single I might disagree. it IS ridiculous ot spend too much money on rent, especially if you are over 28 or so.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
lol maybe.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
I don't live anywhere near NYC, but I've visited, and I've known many people from there. That particular view has never come up in conversation. Most of the people I've known from Manhattan have been fairly smug about it, but mostly they've seemed pretty smug about themselves. I don't generally concern myself with what people think elevates them above others -- it is such a phony perception of themselves and others. All the perceived finery we cloak ourselves in are ultimately lost in the end. Inside, we are just people like every other person.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
For me, living in Manhattan is an EXTREME convenvenience, little else.
I love theater, museums, fine art, easy travel, good restaurants (and values)...and Manhattan offers all that.

But if I worked in Brooklyn or Bronx...then I would want to live as close to the job as possible.

Perhaps if I lived in a Fifth Avenue co-op overlooking the Met or in 8 grand rooms on Park Avenue I might feel more smug. But I'm just another UES schlepper, like a couple hundred thousand others, trying to scrimp by with the least amount of aggravation.

A borough is just another address.

In fact if I could get a lot more space for my money in a decent part of another borough, I'd likely move. (that is,if I thought I could SURVIVE another move...after the last horrible one I said "I'm DYING right here.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: