Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times

Advertisements

Imagine a car free NYC. Less emissions, less opportunity for vehicular accidents, wide open streets for pedestrians, bicyclist, vendors, restaurants, outer activities, ect...

I don't mean every day. How about every Sunday during the summer to start and holidays. Similar to Ciclovia in Columbia.

Emergency vehicles of course will keep designated lanes. We could even do side streets closed (minus a few cross town routes) to start.

Here's is documentation from programs ran in 08 and 09.

NYC.gov

Thought? Opinions of those who participated in the last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:44 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times

Portlandia bike clip - YouTube

Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
No cars = No money to fund the MTA = No transit.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
It would be a cyclist's wet dream.

I'm have both, a bicycle and a car, and for city trips I would much rather use my bicycle. Yet, I still could not imagine a car-free city.
I much rather see highly reduce usage of cars than completly get rid of them. We still need for certian things (ie; carrying furniture from ikea lol)

But in order for this cycling plan to work, a few things need to happen;

1) Infrastructure needs to be put in place; That means, more bicycle racks, more secure locks (hopefully fully closed and waterproof).
Trains would need to have designated spaces to leave the bikes while commuting. Employers would need to have showers so on hot days, sweaty employees can wash up.

2)Drivers would need to share and respect cyclists as much as they do with a bus and an 18-wheeler.

3)Enforcement of traffic laws should be stepped up; That means cyclists riding on the sidewalk, against traffic, or endangering pedestrian’s safety should be fined.

Pedestrians should be also reminded that certian rules, apply to them too!
In general, I see a trend where more and more people use a bicycle as a method of transportation. This is encouraging, but a lot more needs to be done in order to increase those numbers.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
How about a car-free, bike-free city?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
NYC is too big, and transit is too spotty in MANY areas for this to work for everyone. While certainly a great "feel good" idea, ask someone who lives in a dead transit area how they would feel about having to stay home all day and get nothing done because they aren't allowed to use their only form of transportation.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 27,092 times
Never did get why people even bother driving in Manhattan. But I don't think car bans should apply to delivery vehicles and cars with handicap permits (because people seem to forget that not everyone finds walking to be an effortless task).

Also a car ban outside of Manhattan is just a really really bad idea. I lived without a car on Staten Island for about five years and it was neither fun nor practical.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
I would love that, but there would have to be a massive transit build up to give this city an even better and more complex subway system. Though even with that, I don't think the city could ever be carfree, the taxi industry alone would fight it tooth and nail. But it would be interesting to see more streets dedicated to pedestrians and bikes. I know i have enjoyed what has been done around Time Square, it makes it a little bit easier walking around slower people.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousGuise View Post
Never did get why people even bother driving in Manhattan. But I don't think car bans should apply to delivery vehicles and cars with handicap permits (because people seem to forget that not everyone finds walking to be an effortless task).

Also a car ban outside of Manhattan is just a really really bad idea. I lived without a car on Staten Island for about five years and it was neither fun nor practical.
S.I. Is incomparable to the rest of the city. For instance the majority of people in the Bronx, West Queens and North Brooklyn do not own cars and do just fine. Some areas have better transit options the Manhattan neighborhoods.

This has been done before. Wouldn't it be nice to have wide open streets on Sundays during the summer? There would be certain streets open, but most closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City