Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times

Advertisements

I read this whole thread and beside a mention of Pomonok once housing whites there is no public housing in NYC that has whites living in them. Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 AM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I read this whole thread and beside a mention of Pomonok once housing whites there is no public housing in NYC that has whites living in them. Am I correct?
The projects around coney island has whites there.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
The projects around coney island has whites there.

Are they typical NYCHA projects? Are they dangerous or safe? What is the % of whites living there? What is the name of the housing projects? Finally, are they immigrants or most native born citizens?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:13 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Those are Russians scattered here and there on those projects in Coney Island. They make up a visible, but not a sizable portion of the population. The only housing project that I've come across that has a real sizable white population is Forest Hills Co-op.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Quote:

The Todt Hill, Berry and South Beach Houses on Staten Island have very large white populations and aren't dangerous in the least (well, some people think they're dangerous but most normal people don't).

But yeah, there's white people scattered here and there throughout most projects I'd imagine. I can think of white people who I've known to live in just about every overwhelmingly black/Hispanic project on Staten Island. Either that or I know black or hispanic people who live in them that have told me of white neighbors they have in their buildings.

I think what someone (don't feel like looking through the pages to get a name, sorry) said earlier in this topic is true: poor whites tend to do everything they can to get a small apartment in a nice neighborhood in the suburbs or whatever, while blacks/hispanics are more likely to settle for living in the projects. Makes you wonder how much of that is de facto segregation. Could a black/Hispanic get the same apartment a white family could get in a nice area? Like would it be rented to them for the same price with the same qualifications at the same frequency? Since most nice areas tend to be white, would those black/Hispanic families even feel comfortable living in that apartment? Or would they rather be where they fit in appearance-wise?

Regardless, it's interesting stuff. I've always wondered such about them three projects on Staten Island that I listed above. Those are the only three developments below the Staten Island Expressway, which has been said to be the "Mason-Dixon line." Does the city keep most whites in them buildings as to not upset the whiney white people living around them or do blacks/Hispanics just opt to live in the rougher developments further North to avoid being around said whiney white people?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
The Todt Hill, Berry and South Beach Houses on Staten Island have very large white populations and aren't dangerous in the least (well, some people think they're dangerous but most normal people don't).

But yeah, there's white people scattered here and there throughout most projects I'd imagine. I can think of white people who I've known to live in just about every overwhelmingly black/Hispanic project on Staten Island. Either that or I know black or hispanic people who live in them that have told me of white neighbors they have in their buildings.

I think what someone (don't feel like looking through the pages to get a name, sorry) said earlier in this topic is true: poor whites tend to do everything they can to get a small apartment in a nice neighborhood in the suburbs or whatever, while blacks/hispanics are more likely to settle for living in the projects. Makes you wonder how much of that is de facto segregation. Could a black/Hispanic get the same apartment a white family could get in a nice area? Like would it be rented to them for the same price with the same qualifications at the same frequency? Since most nice areas tend to be white, would those black/Hispanic families even feel comfortable living in that apartment? Or would they rather be where they fit in appearance-wise?

Regardless, it's interesting stuff. I've always wondered such about them three projects on Staten Island that I listed above. Those are the only three developments below the Staten Island Expressway, which has been said to be the "Mason-Dixon line." Does the city keep most whites in them buildings as to not upset the whiney white people living around them or do blacks/Hispanics just opt to live in the rougher developments further North to avoid being around said whiney white people?
to add to this.....i dont think many people outside of staten island even know that todt hill, the berries or south beach even exist....i told u in an earlier post that ive never been south of the expressway in my life. actually 1 time now that i remember, i went to midland beach one night...thats it. i remember sometimes i used to see todt hill from the expressway and i was like, "get outta here, what projects are those?" lol.

then people applying to get into housing arent gonna pick any of those three cause they're so far. talking in terms if it was somebody outside of staten island applying.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
I know that the white hip hop group Non Phixion is from glenwood houses, but i don't know if it has a sizeable white population.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM

41 posts, read 99,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
I know that the white hip hop group Non Phixion is from glenwood houses, but i don't know if it has a sizeable white population.
Glenwood housing has a few whites very little. now Taylor-Whyte housing is predominatly hassidic jew with a few blacks and hispanics. Although the city is trying to make nyc housing a middle income developments lol I for one can tell you cant see it happening for a looooooong time. well maybe in 20 -25 years from now u might see a change.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
No,this is not correct.

As I mentioned a long time ago in this thread,there are a fair number of white people living in Pelham Parkway Houses in The Bronx.

There is also a senior citizen citizen housing project a few blocks from me that is part of The Pelham Parkway Houses.It is called Boston Road Plaza.There are actually a lot of white people there.There are white people in the Throg's Neck Houses as well and projects in Brooklyn that are majority white( Hasidic).

I am sure there are many more instances.

So,it would be inaccurate to say that there is "no public housing in NYC that has whites living in them"

Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
to add to this.....i dont think many people outside of staten island even know that todt hill, the berries or south beach even exist....i told u in an earlier post that ive never been south of the expressway in my life. actually 1 time now that i remember, i went to midland beach one night...thats it. i remember sometimes i used to see todt hill from the expressway and i was like, "get outta here, what projects are those?" lol.

then people applying to get into housing arent gonna pick any of those three cause they're so far. talking in terms if it was somebody outside of staten island applying.

Could be. My Aunt was a single mother on the project waiting list for years and all they could offer her was Mariners Harbor (which she took and has lived in for the past 5 years or so), Stapleton or Richmond Terrace. South Beach, Todt Hill and the Berries are like gold. That could also be why there's so many white people in them, once people get them they don't let them go. All projects were white at one point, weren't they? The whites just moved out of areas like Stapleton and West Brighton when they began to become minority-dominated. I suppose since the areas around those three developments in question remain very white and very safe, a lot of the white people in the actual projects have stayed too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City