Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM

455 posts, read 651,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Well, the school's in East New York sweety

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
- Samuel Johnson
Holla Holla!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
The kids were from Brooklyn of course...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
And what about East New York ?
I admit I know next to nothing about Brooklyn aside from knowing people who have moved to Bed-Stuy and Bushwick (? I think) - young people, including my youngest brother.
East New York is one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC. I spent the first 24 years of my life next door in Starrett, and it was no picnic back then. I also have friends who work in the 75 who have to deal with disputes and violence on a regular basis.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
You guys should try riding the LIRR late nights on weekends and see what those 18-24 year olds are doing. You will see disrespectful, rude, and obnoxious behavior on full display. Somehow that never makes it to the news though...strange huh?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

943 posts, read 1,844,274 times
I also blame the parents.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You guys should try riding the LIRR late nights on weekends and see what those 18-24 year olds are doing. You will see disrespectful, rude, and obnoxious behavior on full display. Somehow that never makes it to the news though...strange huh?
True, but the LIRR is not a memorial site to honor the thousands of lives lost from a horrific act.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But ... there was a adolescent riot on FDB the other night and this did not get news coverage either.
And trust me, it was major. Major destructive behavior and out-of-control children.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
I see plenty of ghetto parents shouting, screaming and hitting their kids. In public. It doesn't help those kids figure out how to be responsible adults. The one thing it does teach them is that hitting kids is ok.

Kids learn from the example their parents set, and from what their parents teach them. If there is a conflict between the parents' behavior and the parents' words, the kids copy the behavior. Look at how many adults drop trash all over the city, incuding where they live. Their kids learn - its ok to drop trash, wherever.

All the kids learn when they get beaten up by their parents, or anyone else, for doing activity X is that they need to make sure their parents etc. don't get to know that the kids are doing activity X.

To all you patting yourselves on the back for behaving "well" because you were too terrified not to, instead of behaving well because you understood why... well what kind of lesson is that?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
Bellakin...disrespectful behavior is disrespctful behavior...regardless of venue...and that's the point. One is with kids at a memorial site, one is with young adults who should have already learned respect and courtesy. Which is worse? Depends.

Harlem there is no doubt all kinds of things are not covered. The question is on average, which are reported and which aren't. I think it's pretty clear.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I see plenty of ghetto parents shouting, screaming and hitting their kids. In public. It doesn't help those kids figure out how to be responsible adults. The one thing it does teach them is that hitting kids is ok.

Kids learn from the example their parents set, and from what their parents teach them. If there is a conflict between the parents' behavior and the parents' words, the kids copy the behavior. Look at how many adults drop trash all over the city, incuding where they live. Their kids learn - its ok to drop trash, wherever.

All the kids learn when they get beaten up by their parents, or anyone else, for doing activity X is that they need to make sure their parents etc. don't get to know that the kids are doing activity X.

To all you patting yourselves on the back for behaving "well" because you were too terrified not to, instead of behaving well because you understood why... well what kind of lesson is that?
Not exactly but I do understand what you're saying. We were taught WHY we needed to have respect for people and things around us. My parents came to the U.S. with 2 kids, a couple of suitcases and a few bucks. We were taught to work and work hard to get the things we want and to respect what's around us. If you disrepected anyone or anything, yes, you got a smack upside the head because we were taught better than that. We were raised to know what's right and wrong. We followed our parents examples and greeted adults. We took care of our belongings and other people's property. We weren't abused and hit for no reason. If you were fresh, you got a smack on the bottom and you didn't do it again. Every kid is like that. I'm not saying I wasn't fresh EVER. When I was 3, 4, 5? Most likely. When I was 11, 12, 13, etc? Of course not. What I'm saying is that some sort of values need to be instilled at home and today, I just don't see a lot of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City