U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,752 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

My angle for contributing to this forum is that I want to be a type of "anti-corruption" internet superhero :P :P :P (Actually I'm joking by saying that.)

So I'd like to call attention to anything I see that is wrong.

Recently I took an out-of-town friend to St. JtD and was shocked to see a security guard at the entrance to the church and a sign indicating that one needed to pay $10 to get in there.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact you have to pay $10 to get into a church?

Is this Christianity for Tourists?

I wrote to the church about this and was told the $10 is recommended...but I did not get that impression when I was there. I felt I had wasted a trip (since I did not want to pay $10 (on principle) to enter a church).

Am I wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
23,810 posts, read 33,271,187 times
Reputation: 11488
"RECOMMENDED" means just that.


If I recommend that you send me $10,000, do you think that lays any onus on you to DO it?


A quarter will work just fine at St. John's. (Do we remember what Jesus said about the moneychangers?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM
 
944 posts, read 1,684,864 times
Reputation: 618
wow that is very gauche......... and very sad. there are people that just want to pray or get some peace out time and go to church. Maybe we should contact bloomturd and tell him to tell them they cant do that anymore.. last part was a joke lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,752 times
Reputation: 12
Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"RECOMMENDED" means just that.


If I recommend that you send me $10,000, do you think that lays any onus on you to DO it?


A quarter will work just fine at St. John's. (Do we remember what Jesus said about the moneychangers?)
When we were there, it did not seem like a "recommended" situation.

Lots of people pay $25 to get into the MET Museum because they are not sure about this whole "recommended" situation.

I've lived here 15 years and it did not seem as if the $10 was recommended. The church also seemed EMPTY except for a tour bus which had pulled up outside.

So basically St. JtD makes its money from tourists.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,551,318 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanticorrupt View Post
My angle for contributing to this forum is that I want to be a type of "anti-corruption" internet superhero :P :P :P (Actually I'm joking by saying that.)

So I'd like to call attention to anything I see that is wrong.

Recently I took an out-of-town friend to St. JtD and was shocked to see a security guard at the entrance to the church and a sign indicating that one needed to pay $10 to get in there.

Is anyone else bothered by the fact you have to pay $10 to get into a church?

Is this Christianity for Tourists?

I wrote to the church about this and was told the $10 is recommended...but I did not get that impression when I was there. I felt I had wasted a trip (since I did not want to pay $10 (on principle) to enter a church).

Am I wrong?
Yes you're wrong.

Wooooooow... How dare a "church" ask for donations... After all St. John the Divine provides social services, youth programs, tapestry textile conservation, and the cathedral only took over 100 years to build.

From the sound of it you only wanted to see the cathedral as a tourist attraction to begin with, and not for spiritual reasons. So I can't help but find it ironic that you'd kvetch about the "suggested" donation on "principal".

Cathedrals have overhead to pay just like everyone else. The upkeep and expenses for St. John the Divine is HUGE. One of my art teachers volunteered as a stonemason for St. John the Divine because they couldn't afford to hire enough professional sculptors during the latter years of the cathedral's construction.

I think it a testament to bad character when one who has the means to pay the "suggested" $10 donation pisses and moans about it. St. John the Divine is more than a "church" (that's like calling a cruise ship a "boat")... St. J the D is Cathedral, a work of art and architecture- the likes of which many do not have the good fortune to see in their lifetime. Sadly a lot of air-headed tourists take such marvels for granted and just assume money to operate such places grows on trees. Sorry honey. Their money has got to come from somewhere, and I don't think they're out of line ONE BIT to ask for a suggested donation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,551,318 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanticorrupt View Post
When we were there, it did not seem like a "recommended" situation.

Lots of people pay $25 to get into the MET Museum because they are not sure about this whole "recommended" situation.

I've lived here 15 years and it did not seem as if the $10 was recommended. The church also seemed EMPTY except for a tour bus which had pulled up outside.

So basically St. JtD makes its money from tourists.
So how long do YOU need to live in NYC to understand that "recommended" means "recommended"?

Like St. John the Divine, the Met has large expenses to cover as well. Seriously, take a GOOD, LONG, HARD look at both places and ask yourself what it takes to keep those places running. You can be a patron of culture and the arts and pay the full donation, or leave. The only moral reason for anyone paying less than the suggested amount is if they're honestly too poor to do so.

While you claim to have been a resident of 15 years you don't sound like a NYer to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,551,318 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
wow that is very gauche......... and very sad. there are people that just want to pray or get some peace out time and go to church. Maybe we should contact bloomturd and tell him to tell them they cant do that anymore.. last part was a joke lol
That's why "Recommended" is "recommended". IF you're poor any donation is fine, and if you can't afford anything they wouldn't turn you away to attend mass. St. John The Divine runs a soup kitchen as well if memory serves. It's not an operation to fleece tourists, the OP is just pissed at the idea of donating money, thinking in conspiracies to rationalize her lack of charity, and missing the bigger picture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
 
12,344 posts, read 24,335,787 times
Reputation: 10308
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanticorrupt View Post
Am I wrong?
Yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,752 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Yes you're wrong.

Wooooooow... How dare a "church" ask for donations... After all St. John the Divine provides social services, youth programs, tapestry textile conservation, and the cathedral only took over 100 years to build.

.
Your assumption that I went there as a 'tourist" is inaccurate, as is your argument.

Which other church in the country demands money before people can even enter it?

That is not a donation, it is an admissions fee. This isn't a carnival, it's a church.

As for their "service programs" - they seem negligible.

You seem to have a very conservative orientation to this issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,752 times
Reputation: 12
Default no soup kitchen here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
That's why "Recommended" is "recommended". IF you're poor any donation is fine, and if you can't afford anything they wouldn't turn you away to attend mass. St. John The Divine runs a soup kitchen as well if memory serves. It's not an operation to fleece tourists, the OP is just pissed at the idea of donating money, thinking in conspiracies to rationalize her lack of charity, and missing the bigger picture.
Basically, this church fleeces tourists to the tune of $10 a shot. The tour bus pulls up, they get out, they have to pay $10 and the church is happy.

So real New Yorkers (unlike the people defending the church's fleecing scheme) walk away, but tourists have been driven there and pay through the nose for BAD ART and a gaudy architectural design.

Jesus, when did people become so conservative and happy to support money-grubbing "religious" institutions - unless we've got some folks from the church suddenly responding.

The church was empty.

And, no, there is no soup kitchen here.

Please make up more mis-information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top