Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,204,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
If you're looking for a house/apartment with space you MIGHT want to check out Elmhurst in Queens. Plus there's a lot of Chinese people there.

ON this link.
Elmhurst, NY 11373 Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent - HotPads

You could find apartments in Queens. But be warned in Elmhurst according to this site the rent is over $2k a month for 3 bedrooms.

You might want to check the eastern section of Queens but I can't help you with the prices.
OP is looking for "upper middle class". Elmhurst is HARDLY that. Are there even "upper middle class" anymore? Seems if you're not making at least $500k a year, everyone else is just middle-class, middle-middle class or low-middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 978,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
OP is looking for "upper middle class". Elmhurst is HARDLY that. Are there even "upper middle class" anymore? Seems if you're not making at least $500k a year, everyone else is just middle-class, middle-middle class or low-middle class.
Just curious, what is NYC standard of upper middle class? A one million dollar home, either a luxury condo or a single family, a full time nanny, privat schools for kids, and a second home for vacation? Is that considered upper middle class?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I am interested in Flushing though. I know it is not a very upper class neighborhood, but the Chinese resturants and all the Asian population there is a big plus

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head. I was just thinking the same thing. Why need a nanny if the wife isn't working? The OP said his wife "will try to" find a job for extra income. Unless a person NEEDS to work for income, there is no real need for a nanny.
I would rather have my wife working. It is not about the money, just want her to have a real life. For most Chinese, stay home wife is not an option. Just a culture difference.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Just curious, what is NYC standard of upper middle class? A one million dollar home, either a luxury condo or a single family, a full time nanny, privat schools for kids, and a second home for vacation? Is that considered upper middle class?
Everyone has a different standard. A million dollar home can be found anywhere and I don't consider it "upper middle class". If your wife does not work and you still "want" a nanny, I consider that lazy parenting. A woman doesn't bear a child to have someone else raise it. If your wife needs to work or has a career, then that's different. Private school isn't upper middle class to me either, as I have sent my daughter to Catholic school. If you're sending them to a montessori or elite private school, then I guess you'd be upper middle. I know people who have vacation homes. They are not upper middle class. What I would pay per month for a luxury apartment is the same as what I pay for a mortgage on a house. I don't think it's "upper middle".

If you're looking into Flushing then look in North Flushing, Malba and Whitestone (those are the areas with money), Bayside and Bay Terrace.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:

A one million dollar apartment in Manhattan isn't - thats less than the average apartment price. The other things on your list - yes.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM

1,153 posts, read 2,137,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
1000 for food for a family is not insane. And I 'd agree 1500 for all of those things is tight.
1000 for food? For 3 people? That's like max 600-700. I bet there are people that could do even better. 1500 is NOT tight. Tight for people that love to throw money out of the window I suppose.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I would rather have my wife working. It is not about the money, just want her to have a real life. For most Chinese, stay home wife is not an option. Just a culture difference.
Yes, I know. I used to work in Flushing-very dominant Asian area and almost all women work. The grandparents take care of the children and some go to daycares or preschool. But you may want to consider "daycare" instead of a "nanny". For most, a nanny is just a babysitter and will not teach or socialize babies. Not all are like that but from the nannies I have seen myself, they were just babysitters. Honestly, the lifestyle you "want" doesn't seem feasible but you can be comfortable if you minimize certain expenses. My combined household income is a bit more than yours and we don't live the "upper middle class" lifestyle. Please know I'm not trying to discourage you but just trying to be realistic.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
A one million dollar apartment in Manhattan isn't - thats less than the average apartment price. The other things on your list - yes.
I did not mean manhattan. It is where a lot of super rich live. I meant other boroughs and suburbs. I checked the medium price in westchester, just around 500 k.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I did not mean manhattan. It is where a lot of super rich live. I meant other boroughs and suburbs. I checked the medium price in westchester, just around 500 k.
But you have to factor in property taxes. You get more bang for your buck outside of NYC when it comes to the size of a house and property but the taxes will kill you. I pay $8k a year and that's average for Long Island. I don't own a very big house but I'm in a good school district and not an upper middle class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City