Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
doesn't the Clearview Expy in Queens dead end at some point?
Yes, at Hillside Avenue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I still for the life of me am trying to figure out how Robert Moses came up with half of these routes in the Bronx, Westchester, Queens, and Long Island. Half of them are circuitous and make no sense. Wish most of them would go, but unfortunately the worst offender (the Cross-Bronx) is the most vital, so we're stuck. But seriously, the Sheridan serves essentially no value but we're maintaining it anyway.
It would definitely be nice to see some of these redundant highways that Moses created removed and replaced with new development and new subway lines to replace them. If there is one thing that would make the biggest impact it would be something like this.

I am always for tearing down highways, especially redundant ones, and returning the land back to the neighborhoods.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It would definitely be nice to see some of these redundant highways that Moses created removed and replaced with new development and new subway lines to replace them. If there is one thing that would make the biggest impact it would be something like this.

I am always for tearing down highways, especially redundant ones, and returning the land back to the neighborhoods.
The good thing is that you'd already have a trench in most cases to just lay tracks in and over cover, cuts down on costs significantly.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:46 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
The bronx river is not the cross bronx. Most of the route is in bronx park. At worse have it end at the cross bronx since soundview was split in half to build it

Old 12-22-2019, 11:52 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
The Sheridan doesn't go anywhere and it creates problems on the Bruckner. I have no problem getting rid of that, especially if they use it as an opportunity to straighten out the kinks in the Bruckner.

The BRP, OTOH, it goes someplace and is useful. And once it gets north of the Sprain split, it's tight, twisty, and downright fun. So, no, that they can't get rid of that. In point of fact, they need to build ramps directly from the Bruckner to the BRP, without having to go down onto Bruckner Blvd.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:18 PM

1,417 posts, read 722,778 times
They just finished turning the expressway into a boulevard last week, and it's looks just like Queens Blvd. I was surprised they made the speed limit 30mph instead of the usual 25, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lower it in a few months, or whenever the inevitable pedestrian death occurs on the street.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:18 PM

63 posts, read 86,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The Sheridan doesn't go anywhere and it creates problems on the Bruckner. I have no problem getting rid of that, especially if they use it as an opportunity to straighten out the kinks in the Bruckner.

The BRP, OTOH, it goes someplace and is useful. And once it gets north of the Sprain split, it's tight, twisty, and downright fun. So, no, that they can't get rid of that. In point of fact, they need to build ramps directly from the Bruckner to the BRP, without having to go down onto Bruckner Blvd.

Oh yeah. This. That interchange, to get on the BRP coming off the Throgs Neck Bridge, using Rosedale Ave . . . misery.

The BRP is a critical road. There are miles and miles of co-op buildings that are built along that road. And to load up the Hutch with the extra traffic would be cruel and unusual, even for NYC, which pretty much DEFINES cruel and unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: