Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2020, 07:42 PM
 
6,222 posts, read 3,607,500 times
Reputation: 5060

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yeah again that's specifically the complaint I heard about Flatbush on here. We really need to do a better job here of protecting historic architecture. Landmarking is great but too limited. Even though I tend to hate new construction, sometimes I end up thinking it's not so bad afterall. When I went to St. George's Crescent, which is a tiny street in the NW part of Bedford Park, I couldn't tell where I was but in that case, it was an improvement because there used to be a huge empty lot there. (Spoiler, it was also years between visits.) I will hold out hope that 202 and 203 Street will be OK too when construction is finished.
Yeah it is disappointing, especially how these neighborhoods survived the really bad days of the 70s and 80s, just for greedy developers to make

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8750...7i13312!8i6656

Just a few years ago there were houses where that construction site is.

I am okay with new buildings if they're replacing empty lots of crappy Fedders houses with no historical significance, but seeing nice homes or buildings go is rough.

How do these strips of 3 private houses disappear though? Do they foreclose or are the owners paid an F ton of money to sell the land to developers?

Edit: I looked at the google street view of those houses as far back is it would let me go (2007 in one case) and the houses were already boarded up back then.

Last edited by Foamposite; 12-24-2020 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2020, 07:06 AM
 
3,357 posts, read 4,634,638 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah it is disappointing, especially how these neighborhoods survived the really bad days of the 70s and 80s, just for greedy developers to make

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8750...7i13312!8i6656

Just a few years ago there were houses where that construction site is.

I am okay with new buildings if they're replacing empty lots of crappy Fedders houses with no historical significance, but seeing nice homes or buildings go is rough.

How do these strips of 3 private houses disappear though? Do they foreclose or are the owners paid an F ton of money to sell the land to developers?

Edit: I looked at the google street view of those houses as far back is it would let me go (2007 in one case) and the houses were already boarded up back then.
I don't know, but one thing I'll add is that at the time of the rezoning, CB 7 (which doesn't just cover Bedford Park) was surprisingly welcoming to supportive housing requests in the district, and I'm sure developers came to know that. And affordable housing development was one of the board's major priorities. There was a pervasive fear of gentrification and a certain amount of affordable housing is great but incentives for developers combined with the ability to build tall creates an enormous incentive to destroy the community's smaller structures.

The board has been trying to amend the zoning to try to downzone from what I understand, but that hasn't been approved by the city because affordable housing is probably the #1 priority of de Blasio. He wants to build tall say that he created x amounts of units (both affordable and supportive) when he leaves office. The number matters to him, not the community. The community's priorities are different from those of 10 years ago but de Blasio doesn't care. It's as if we opened the door to the devil and now he won't leave the house. He doesn't care about what the community wants and the effect that this has on it and on individual people's lives. In non-white communities I truly believe this indifference is racially motivated (unconsciously or not) with a very strong paternalistic "I know what's best for you" tinge. In that respect, he's a liberal Robert Moses, but for housing instead of highways. The detrimental effects aren't isolated to CB 7 or the Bronx but the risks are much greater for us. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the whole neighborhood is in the toilet, but Villa Avenue has been irreparably damaged. I'm happy that de Blasio's time is coming to an end. We've got to be very careful who we vote for in the next election.

Last edited by yodel; 12-25-2020 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 08:05 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Reputation: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't know, but one thing I'll add is that at the time of the rezoning, CB 7 (which doesn't just cover Bedford Park) was surprisingly welcoming to supportive housing requests in the district, and I'm sure developers came to know that. And affordable housing development was one of the board's major priorities. There was a pervasive fear of gentrification and a certain amount of affordable housing is great but incentives for developers combined with the ability to build tall creates an enormous incentive to destroy the community's smaller structures.

The board has been trying to amend the zoning to try to downzone from what I understand, but that hasn't been approved by the city because affordable housing is probably the #1 priority of de Blasio. He wants to build tall say that he created x amounts of units (both affordable and supportive) when he leaves office. The number matters to him, not the community. The community's priorities are different from those of 10 years ago but de Blasio doesn't care. It's as if we opened the door to the devil and now he won't leave the house. He doesn't care about what the community wants and the effect that this has on it and on individual people's lives. In non-white communities I truly believe this indifference is racially motivated (unconsciously or not) with a very strong paternalistic "I know what's best for you" tinge. In that respect, he's a liberal Robert Moses, but for housing instead of highways. The detrimental effects aren't isolated to CB 7 or the Bronx but the risks are much greater for us. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the whole neighborhood is in the toilet, but Villa Avenue has been irreparably damaged. I'm happy that de Blasio's time is coming to an end. We've got to be very careful who we vote for in the next election.
Aww... Are you complaining about de Blasio? Let me guess who you voted for? Definitely not Malliotakis... Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 08:20 AM
 
3,357 posts, read 4,634,638 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Aww... Are you complaining about de Blasio? Let me guess who you voted for? Definitely not Malliotakis... Oh well...
No definitely not Malliotakis, but I did keep an open mind about it would consider voting Republican for the right candidate. I didn't vote in the last mayoral election because I didn't like anyone. I did vote for de Blasio the first time and consider it a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 08:26 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Reputation: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
No definitely not Malliotakis, but I did keep an open mind about it would consider voting Republican for the right candidate. I didn't vote in the last mayoral election because I didn't like anyone. I did vote for de Blasio the first time and consider it a mistake.
At least somebody admits it. I have to work at events that involve his administration and I am always laughing on the inside when some progressive Democrat or just an old school Democrat comes up to me complaining about how horrible de Blasio is. I just smile, nod my head and remain silent. From what I hear, some of his own staff thinks he is incompetent and lazy, and from working on projects with his administration, just from how things are run, I'd say this is the most incompetent administration I've dealt with. Venues are too small for the meetings, but they are "public meetings". Can't hear the speakers because the PA system stinks... I could go on and on... If they can't handle such simple tasks, it should be no shock that the City is being run the way that it is, and de Blasio is smiling and running to the bank, given his "cozy" relationship with the developers.

Regarding development coming to the Bronx, from what I have heard, a number of projects was in the works, and you should expect more to come. It's the borough with the "cheapest" land and the most upside for developers, and I put cheap in quotes because it's only cheap relative to say Manhattan, Brooklyn or parts of Queens.

You better pay close attention to the next mayoral candidates. Perhaps people will wake up in this City and not just blindly vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 08:37 AM
 
3,357 posts, read 4,634,638 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
At least somebody admits it. I have to work at events that involve his administration and I am always laughing on the inside when some progressive Democrat or just an old school Democrat comes up to me complaining about how horrible de Blasio is. I just smile, nod my head and remain silent. From what I hear, some of his own staff thinks he is incompetent and lazy, and from working on projects with his administration, just from how things are run, I'd say this is the most incompetent administration I've dealt with. Venues are too small for the meetings, but they are "public meetings". Can't hear the speakers because the PA system stinks... I could go on and on... If they can't handle such simple tasks, it should be no shock that the City is being run the way that it is, and de Blasio is smiling and running to the bank, given his "cozy" relationship with the developers.

Regarding development coming to the Bronx, from what I have heard, a number of projects was in the works, and you should expect more to come. It's the borough with the "cheapest" land and the most upside for developers, and I put cheap in quotes because it's only cheap relative to say Manhattan, Brooklyn or parts of Queens.

You better pay close attention to the next mayoral candidates. Perhaps people will wake up in this City and not just blindly vote Democrat.
If he has a policy I agree with I say so, but I generally despise the man. No one should vote blindly for anyone or continue to support any politician "no matter what". That includes Republicans so I hope you will practice what you preach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 08:57 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Reputation: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If he has a policy I agree with I say so, but I generally despise the man. No one should vote blindly for anyone or continue to support any politician "no matter what". That includes Republicans so I hope you will practice what you preach.
Oh I definitely do. That said, an area like Bedford Park is a developer's dream... Relatively affordable land prices compared to other areas, close to the subway (that is a must on this forum ) and they can come in and buy some properties and build as they please as of right since only a small part of the neighborhood is protected. An area like Riverdale on the other hand is seeing development as well, but mainly luxury apartments, with some sprinklings of "affordable housing", though rents at $2,100+ a month is not necessarily "affordable", but expect to see more of this in areas like yours. Some of these developers made their money in Brooklyn and the Bronx is on the radar. As one landlord told me a few years ago, some of these properties in the Bronx are wayyyy undervalued....

The lack of subway access is protecting some neighborhoods. It will protect most of Staten Island for sure - the North Shore will see and is seeing a lot of development because it is closest to the ferry. Riverdale, Country Club, City Island, Pelham Gardens... These are neighborhoods with high ownership levels, without subway access... They will remain stable as a result.

Oh and let us not forget areas like Far Rockaway.... Far out, but subway access... They've been dealing with the push of more homeless shelters and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 09:31 AM
 
Location: The Bronx
870 posts, read 415,375 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

How do these strips of 3 private houses disappear though? Do they foreclose or are the owners paid an F ton of money to sell the land to developers?
It is very easy for greedy developers to find loopholes. Sometimes they will get to the «*right*» officials and show and prove that the owner has «*vacated*» their properties. And it is one of the many schemes.
In the case if Downtown Brooklyn, there used to be rows of warehouses (some of them for storage), and all of a sudden they have been acquired through eminent domain.... to build private luxury buildings.... go figure...

Last edited by Robert.Dinero; 12-25-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 09:40 AM
 
Location: The Bronx
870 posts, read 415,375 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If he has a policy I agree with I say so, but I generally despise the man. No one should vote blindly for anyone or continue to support any politician "no matter what". That includes Republicans so I hope you will practice what you preach.
The only 10% of New Yorkers who vote for mayoral elections vote for who the New York Times says is the candidate to vote for. They would never vote for anything other than a democrat, and because of 4 years of Trump, they sunk deeper in that «*vote blue no matter who*» type of mentality.
Same for Republicans, who became more entrenched with their party, due to constant labeling of racism, homophobia, amongst other labeling states from average NYC democrats.
All in all, I have very low hopes for who the next Mayor could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2020, 09:58 AM
 
Location: USA
9,179 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Reputation: 30146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

You better pay close attention to the next mayoral candidates. Perhaps people will wake up in this City and not just blindly vote Democrat.



Do you really want the people to wake up? How many more woke people can the city handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top