Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,692,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
If you are talking about suburbs of NYC (not sure how you define that) you can probably also make statements like those with higher percentage of white people or higher percentage of Jews are more affluent.
So? If a suburb is affluent and is predominatly Jewish - it is obviously can't be called a "WASP suburb." Since there are very few white working class Protestants in the New York area - the "some trailer park in Alabama or small town in upstate NY has a higher percentage with British ancestry than Bronxville or Rye" argument is a red herring.

Quote:
Again, most white protestants in America are European mutts who don't identify as having English ancestry regardless of whether they actually possess such, so I think that criteria for defining something as WASP is a bit limited.
This is true, though more an issue in the South where "American" is a very commonly reported ancestry - almost all these people reporting "American" are mostly of British ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,789 times
I am a lifelong New Yorker. I've lived in Rockland County, Westchester County and in now Queens County, NY, since 1996. I went to school in Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County. Dobbs, Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow. All that has tons of WASP. Former Revolutionary War stomping grounds. Hudson Vally college towns north of Westchester have a lot of WASPS. Long Island? Northern L.I. Anybody who's read or seen Great Gatsby knows. Oyster Bay, Glen Cove, Lattingtown, etc. People already mentioned Northern LI. It used to be called "Gold Coast". But none of this is "suburbs of NYC."

Suburbs of NYC proper is anything within the 5 boroughs. zip code 10065 in Manhattan has some left over old blueblood WASPS. WASP is really not just ethnically but also income level. People usually mean Protestant ethic whites with money when they say "WASP." Trailer folk in the Ozarks or Alabama or some other categories really don't belong to that designation. At least around here in NYC. Connecticut is another WASPy state, as previously mentioned.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,809,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
This is true. Yet there are still greater concentrations, but there are no suburbs that are close to exclusively "WASP."
Proof that there's greater concentrations? Census bureau stats please.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I am a lifelong New Yorker. I've lived in Rockland County, Westchester County and in now Queens County, NY, since 1996. I went to school in Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County. Dobbs, Irvington, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow. All that has tons of WASP. Former Revolutionary War stomping grounds. Hudson Vally college towns north of Westchester have a lot of WASPS. Long Island? Northern L.I. Anybody who's read or seen Great Gatsby knows. Oyster Bay, Glen Cove, Lattingtown, etc. People already mentioned Northern LI. It used to be called "Gold Coast". But none of this is "suburbs of NYC."

Suburbs of NYC proper is anything within the 5 boroughs. zip code 10065 in Manhattan has some left over old blueblood WASPS. WASP is really not just ethnically but also income level. People usually mean Protestant ethic whites with money when they say "WASP." Trailer folk in the Ozarks or Alabama or some other categories really don't belong to that designation. At least around here in NYC. Connecticut is another WASPy state, as previously mentioned.
What is a protestant ethnic white really?

Most white americans by now are a combination of groups from all over Europe. This is true even in the interior of the country.

Blueblood?

What is a blue blood?

Wealthy families like the Bushes have members who have married Mexicans.

This fantasy of WASP is mostly the fantasy and gossip of people on this forum.

Prove that people of English descent exclusively marry people of English descent in the US, because that's the only way there could be "WASP" in the context people mention here.

Today anyone with money will go to the same top schools and have access to the same career paths.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Proof that there's greater concentrations? Census bureau stats please.
I already cited some places with a higher English/American ancestry count. Just as "Russian" is a pretty good proxy for large Jewish population, "English + American" is a proxy for WASP population. Nobody is saying there are suburbs that are exclusively or even majority WASP in the New York area.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,374,925 times
67% of non-Hispanic Whites in the NYC metro claim Italian, Irish, Polish or Jewish ancestry.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 PM

Exactly. That's why WASPs aren't any close to a majority anywhere in the NYC metro.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I already cited some places with a higher English/American ancestry count. Just as "Russian" is a pretty good proxy for large Jewish population, "English + American" is a proxy for WASP population. Nobody is saying there are suburbs that are exclusively or even majority WASP in the New York area.
Yes, some suburbs certainly could have a higher percentage of people of English ancestry. But the same could be said of NYC itself. I tend to assume Chelsea has more people of English descent than Brownsville.

At the same time, I was asking if you can cite sources that state certain suburbs actually have a higher percentage of English than certain other suburbs.

And yes the parts of Brooklyn that have a lot of Russians have a lot of Jewish people. A lot of Jewish left the Soviet Union fleeing persecution and this has been documented.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,345,608 times
There is demographic inertia. People just stay in there homes for decades. Maybe they leave them to their kids. And even today, people with WASP demographics tend to do well enough economically that they are well represented in the groups competing for high end real estate.

Quote:
This is true. Yet there are still greater concentrations, but there are no suburbs that are close to exclusively "WASP."

Old 02-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
67% of non-Hispanic Whites in the NYC metro claim Italian, Irish, Polish or Jewish ancestry.
I'd like to see breakdowns of this over time.

During white flight a lot of whites bailed out of NYC and in some cases metro NYC. A lot of newcomers came in since the 90s.

Is the percentage of those with English ancestry higher now? I'm not sure if ethnicity is so closely tracked. If anyone knows of any links I'd like to read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City