Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 PM

380 posts, read 607,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
It's a proxy for "WASP", not a perfect measure. Surely the places that have a higher English/American percentage are the most WASP. But the more "WASP" towns will have a higher than average number of Scottish ancestry as well as Dutch and German.
I guess we consider what's WASP to be different. Some trailer park in Alabama likely has a higher percentage of English descended people than Darien/Saddle River/Rye etc, I would not consider it more WASP though.

To me, the term WASP is about as much a culture as ethnicity. Again, most white protestants in the US are mutts (usually of several European origins). Just my 2 cents on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM

491 posts, read 472,092 times
Westchester is way more Catholic/Jewish than it is Protestant.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
I guess we consider what's WASP to be different. Some trailer park in Alabama likely has a higher percentage of English descended people than Darien/Saddle River/Rye etc, I would not consider it more WASP though.
It's more "middle America" though, just an impoverished, stigmatized subset of it.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's more "middle America" though, just an impoverished, stigmatized subset of it.
What is "middle America"? I find this a vague, ill defined term used by people like Sarah Palin.

The middle of the country is not all white nor all "wasp". People should stop watching the news so much.

Big parts of middle america have people of various German and other European descent, while parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have people of French and Spanish descent (Creoles). Of course there are Blacks and recent immigrants from Mexico and Central America and Asia. And even in small towns in the South you have gas stations and convenience stores owned by Arabs and Pakistanis.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I think the concept of WASP enclaves in anything like the NYC metro area is obsolete. Back in the old days, the local real estate industry would enforce this. Someone who didn't meet the desired ethnic/religious background would find they'd have a very hard time getting to see houses. A combination of things makes that essentially impossible now, especially in rich areas. The internet and MLS systems means that anyone can know what properties are available, and the anti-discrimination laws make it very risky for anyone in the real estate business to filter out "undesirables." This is especially true if those "undesirables happen to be smart, well educated, affluent, and assertive."

Could you picture what would happen if a real estate broker tried to steer, say a Jewish lawyer from NY away from a house he wanted in, say, Darien CT? The lawyer, knowing the house is available (from the internet), would have the guys RE license shredded in minutes. The old days are over.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:

To me, the term WASP is about as much a culture as ethnicity. Again, most white protestants in the US are mutts (usually of several European origins). Just my 2 cents on this.
Actually that is not likely if you look at European ancestry demographic maps.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,721,719 times
Quote:
I'm talking about suburbs of NYC. All of the suburbs with higher English ancestry counts are affluent suburbs.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,721,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Could you picture what would happen if a real estate broker tried to steer, say a Jewish lawyer from NY away from a house he wanted in, say, Darien CT? The lawyer, knowing the house is available (from the internet), would have the guys RE license shredded in minutes. The old days are over.
This is true. Yet there are still greater concentrations, but there are no suburbs that are close to exclusively "WASP."

Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Actually that is not likely if you look at European ancestry demographic maps.
To what are you referring to? Link?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I'm talking about suburbs of NYC. All of the suburbs with higher English ancestry counts are affluent suburbs.
If you are talking about suburbs of NYC (not sure how you define that) you can probably also make statements like those with higher percentage of white people or higher percentage of Jews are more affluent.

Again, most white protestants in America are European mutts who don't identify as having English ancestry regardless of whether they actually possess such, so I think that criteria for defining something as WASP is a bit limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City