Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,605 times

Advertisements

hi everyone! Have searched the forums a bit and have found contradictory data, that's why I m starting a new thread. I ll be moving to NYC for about 3 months and a friend is sublettingher apartment on Decatur near Cypress (about a block away towards Seneca. How safe/dangerous would you say that area is? I'm more worried because I need to be in Manhattan during the day so I ll prob get the subway back home and get off on Halsey Str stop on Wyckoff.

Thanks!!
G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia43 View Post
hi everyone! Have searched the forums a bit and have found contradictory data, that's why I m starting a new thread. I ll be moving to NYC for about 3 months and a friend is sublettingher apartment on Decatur near Cypress (about a block away towards Seneca. How safe/dangerous would you say that area is? I'm more worried because I need to be in Manhattan during the day so I ll prob get the subway back home and get off on Halsey Str stop on Wyckoff.

Thanks!!
G
That's in Ridgewood borderline Bushwick... It's not a good area but not necessarily hood either... It's more of a poor working class area that struggles with more problems than other parts of Ridgewood but as long as you use common sense (know where you're walking, don't go out flashing pricey gadgets, use major avenues until you have to hit the block you have to go up) you should be fine...

Area is predominantly hispanic somewhere around 75-80% hispanic around that immediate area, mainly caribbean... then about 5-10% south asian/black/white each... Also be careful around the Halsey stop. There is alot of police presence in the area which does protect you but unfortunately it hasn't seemed to stop the criminals from doing what they do. Recently, there have been a number of problems around there... Someone was raped near the subway stop about 3 weeks ago, there was a shootout between cops and a thug who tried to break into a car about a block away from the halsey stop and a number of people have been robbed around that area recently... While there has been improvements, it still has a long way to go. Again just make sure to use common sense and IMO if you are walking from Decatur between Seneca and Cypress, best bet would be to walk along Cypress avenue and on Norman (probably the best block out of the few around there) you can walk down to wyckoff and (either use the entrance on the corner of Norman and Wyckoff or) stay on wyckoff until you hit Halsey (should be about a block away)... you can either do that or walk on Cypress ave to George St. and then walk down George heading towards Wyckoff and go down the other entrance but IMO that entrance being on a side street isn't the best option...

Last edited by anon1; 07-06-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,605 times
anon1, thank you so much for all the info! still don't know what since the rape thing has come up before and that's the thing i m worried about the most.. it's such a shame because that would be a constant cloud over my head. and, then, the rent to live in manhattan is just plain crazy... What would be the cheapest but ok neighborhood in terms of safety to look for a place in manhattan? Btw, holding on to the info you gave me in case i need it..!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia43 View Post
anon1, thank you so much for all the info! still don't know what since the rape thing has come up before and that's the thing i m worried about the most.. it's such a shame because that would be a constant cloud over my head. and, then, the rent to live in manhattan is just plain crazy... What would be the cheapest but ok neighborhood in terms of safety to look for a place in manhattan? Btw, holding on to the info you gave me in case i need it..!
You shouldn't limit yourself to Manhattan, access to Manhattan is available throughout the city and the only affordable rents over there are in bad areas... There's plenty of areas throughout Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx that'll give you what you're looking for along with a decent route to nightlife in Manhattan... Sometimes even better than if you were to live there yourself... Pretty much any other part of Ridgewood after seneca avenue from flushing to myrtle would be a better option... Other areas to check out Kew Gardens, Woodhaven by the J line, Woodside (Queens), Elmhurst (Queens), parts of Sunnyside and Astoria in Queens are still affordable, etc. Brooklyn's a little tougher because most of the areas that have direct access to Manhattan are either in completely gentrified areas or "transitional" areas that are actually hood areas with a small gentrified presence...

Areas to check out... Fort Greene, Clinton Hill (there are still a few random affordable rents out there but you have to look hard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City