Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is opened fire hydran a sign of ghetto?
Yes. 42 55.26%
No. 26 34.21%
Not sure. 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:26 AM

368 posts, read 620,377 times

Advertisements

On my way to visit someone last week, I walk down a block with an open fire hydrant. There's a young kid putting his hand over the water, changing the trajectory of the water so it's hitting the other side of the street. Ahead of me is a woman in her 50s dressed business casual and she stops and tells the boy, "Can you let me pass?" Of course he sprays her down and the woman was pissed. She replied back, "I asked you to let me pass!" And the boys mother starts shouting out the window calling the woman stupida and a bunch of other insults in Spanish. For that experience alone I voted ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM

455 posts, read 648,497 times
I have never seen an open fire hydrant in the ues or uws but if I go to Harlem or wash heights I can probably find one. I lived in Harlem and I live in wash heights. So I will have to say yes it is a sign of a ghetto.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,973,977 times
Open fire hydrants,yes.Hydrants with sprinkler caps,no.

A distinction should be drawn between neighborhoods where it is an approved,legal,supervised and controlled summer activity for kids who might live with no AC and never get out of the city and neighborhoods where the hydrants are lawlessly opened full force, without caps and just left open endlessly, to flood the streets and lower water pressures.

I've seen kids playing under the sprinkler capped showers in many non "ghetto" neighborhoods where the caps are put on for a few hours in the afternoon or evening.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Hot topic: How to (legally!) open a fire hydrant | Brokelyn

Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,666,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
On my way to visit someone last week, I walk down a block with an open fire hydrant. There's a young kid putting his hand over the water, changing the trajectory of the water so it's hitting the other side of the street. Ahead of me is a woman in her 50s dressed business casual and she stops and tells the boy, "Can you let me pass?" Of course he sprays her down and the woman was pissed. She replied back, "I asked you to let me pass!" And the boys mother starts shouting out the window calling the woman stupida and a bunch of other insults in Spanish. For that experience alone I voted ghetto.
That's why I walk on the other side of the street when I see hydrants open. Not because I have to give deference to those kids and I have no right to walk where I please, but because I know that lots of these kids (and their parents) are anti-social like the ones you described. I don't mind them playing in the water, but plenty of them would welcome the chance to drench someone just going about her business.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM

95 posts, read 258,791 times
Ghetto, and the lack of respect for people who do not wish to get drenched could bring about much problems. A few years ago an outsider in my neighborhood was hanging out with some friends. He told one of the guys who was filling up a bucket of water and tossing it at his already wet friends to not dare wet him, that what will ensue will be bad. Needless to say, he wet the guy and then got chased with a knife...luckily he was talked down from doing anything with the knife.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,805,157 times
I live in Bay Ridge and there was an open hydrant with kids running in and out of the water. I even ran through once lol I guess im ghetto.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,966,932 times
It doesn't get any more ghetto than an opened fire hydrant.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,316,196 times
There are other ways of keeping cool without potentially endangering the block in case of a fire. So yes it is ghetto. I don't see this in suburban hoods or the more affluent areas of NYC.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,544,993 times
there was an open hydrant on Furman Avenue between Nereid and 239th street all week last week in Wakefield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: