Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times

Advertisements

It once took me two hours to go from Grand Central to JFK on that bus. I only made the flight because it was delayed an hour. I have not been on that bus since. The subway+airtrain has one major advantage- the time is known and the risk is very low.

That said, if you are going around 12-2pm, chance of traffic is low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
It once took me two hours to go from Grand Central to JFK on that bus. I only made the flight because it was delayed an hour. I have not been on that bus since. The subway+airtrain has one major advantage- the time is known and the risk is very low.

Thanks, I'll add another hour. Don't really have much to do, no need to risk it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
I work near where all those buses are. Never used them, but from what I've seen they look grimy.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:

So, in other words YOU planneed your trip poorly, and you are trying to lay blame on the bus!!

You are supposed to be at the airport 2 hours in advance; and the bus took two hours. Is this what you are saying???

Sooo, again, in other words, YOU were LATE, before you even stepped onto the bus!!

Comprehend?

YOU were late!! The bus didn't make you late.

In any event, taking the bus,, you must account for TRAFFIC the same as taking any other vehicle. I don't know the specific route, but I imagine, first the bus must get thru Manhattan traffic to the Midtown Tunnel, thru the Tunnel, then thru the LIE to (I guess) the Van Wyck. I believe that is the most direct route.

Any fool s/realize that NYC varies from day to day, and by time of day. Taking the bus during rush hour is going to take a lot longer than non rush hour. Unless you are from another planet, one s/b aware of this.

For example, if yoour flight is at 4, then I'd be on the bus by 12 or so.

Don't be like this poster, aand think the bus is going to grow wings and fly, because he/she is late!

Now, lets think on this.

The alternative is to manage to get from Grand Central (with luggage) over to the labrynth of the Times Square/Port Authority subway station. Which means you either walk, bus, taxi, or take the subway shuttle to Times Square.

Take the shuttle and you have to deal with the crowds, tunnels, stairs and swealtering heat (in Summer) and that is just to get from Amtrak to the "S" subway platform. Once you reach Times Square, again, crowds, tunnels, stairs, heat (and the effort is 2 or 3 times as great, to get to the E or A train.

Once on the train, you'll have a nice llloooonnnggg ride out to either 1 of 3 stops, Jamaica, Ozone Park or Howard Beach, to catch the Airtran.

Poster how long do you think that trip takes? How long does/can it take during rush hour?

Would you have made your flight, given your LATE start? NOPE!!!!

Subway/Airtan or bus, you'd better give yourself a 3 to 4 hour lead time.

Cause, if you think you are making it to the Airtran in less than 90 minutes you really just don't know.

So, plan your time well and enjoy the convenience of the bus.

Lastly, in my (long ago) travels I simply avoided the NYC airports at all costs. I almost universally fly out of Newark. Even when I lived in Brooklyn, I went to Newark!! I took the bus many times to Newark from both GC and the WTC. The WTC station was/is the absolute quickest (15 to 30 minutes, bus lanes all the way!).

Good mature planning is the difference between a haggard race to miss your flight, and calm, cool, relaxed travel.

Poster, just wondering, have you had the dog eat your homework too? )

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I work near where all those buses are. Never used them, but from what I've seen they look grimy.
As grimy as the subway?

Why do people always talk about what they know not??

Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM

I'll be fine on the bus with plenty of time to spare..have the day (and the day before) off from work.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I'll be fine on the bus with plenty of time to spare..have the day (and the day before) off from work.
I would say the subway because it's quicker, more reliable and cheaper than the bus but if you have time to spare then you can try them out. The NYC Airporter (link below) now runs the service not the NYAS link that was posted earlier. Leave a lot of time because the buses are slow, infrequent and stop at each terminal in the airport.

If you do end up taking the subway the quickest and easiest route is to take the 7 from Grand Central to Court Square and change to the E. It takes about 45 minutes all up by subway and AirTrain.

NYC Airport Shuttle Express Service Between NYC and JFK and LGA Airports | NYC Airporter

Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
I regularly get from Midtown to a JFK terminal in 1 hr and 5 minutes with E subway and the Airtrain. I find it a lot less stress-inducing than sitting in surface traffic. I never show up 2 hours before a flight - that concept makes no sense to me.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM

188 posts, read 276,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Metro North? or Amtrak?

Ive been reading up on the "auto" train's site so I know what it says to do... anyone have personal experience doing this? I'll have a rolling bag with me, not worried too much about that.

more focused on Cost and speed of getting there.
walk

Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I regularly get from Midtown to a JFK terminal in 1 hr and 5 minutes with E subway and the Airtrain. I find it a lot less stress-inducing than sitting in surface traffic. I never show up 2 hours before a flight - that concept makes no sense to me.
Usually I don't either. However, Vacation starts on the Sunday before, leaving on Wed at 4. I figure I'll just leave early, get to the airport eat some over priced food, get a drink or two and watch a movie at the gate.

I've been looking for attractive women to walk up and talk to. What better place than an airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City