Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 10,836 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone so here is my situation any replies would be great. So I live in bensonhurst bklyn and looking to move to woodside queens to be closer to work. I can't afford my own apt so I am renting out a room instead. I am seeing a room today around 56th st and 43rd ave. Actually that is the block where the room is. Any info in and around the surrouning area would be great. Rent is 700. Also which is good areas that is close to the upper east side via subway that is safe and fairly quiet. I took to street maps to look at the area and it looks like quite a few apt buildings. I have lived in those tuypes of buildings and they can be noisey. Ideally astoria is where I want to be but not sure if I can with 700 a month rent budget. Any advice please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times
Woodside good area you'll be fine

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I actually live not too far from where you are about to rent.
The area is pretty diverse and within walking distance to many.

7 local train stop is on 52nd street on Roosevelt.
7 express can be taken on 61st Street on Roosevelt.
In case there is another MTA strike, there is the LIRR on 61st and Roosevelt as well.
There is a small library on 52th Street and Skillman.
There is a great park starting 56st on Woodside Ave.
You will find tons of neighborhood Bar & Grill along Woodside Ave and Roosevelt.

I think you will love your new neighborhood.

Last edited by C8N; 07-10-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 04:00 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
Woodside is a decent area, and you there is no shortage of stores and places to eat in close proximity.

However, you could technically afford Astoria if you were willing to live with roommates for $700. Not sure how many rooms for rent there are over there, but a share should be possible, especially in the Steinway part of Astoria.

Compared to Bensonhurst, (depending on where in Bensonhurst you currently are) you should be perfectly fine in Woodside. The only trick will be to remember to take the local 7 train instead of the express.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Woodside is quite ok.
it has good transportation and if you work around midtown is pretty convinient.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Woodside is a decent area, and you there is no shortage of stores and places to eat in close proximity.

However, you could technically afford Astoria if you were willing to live with roommates for $700. Not sure how many rooms for rent there are over there, but a share should be possible, especially in the Steinway part of Astoria.

Compared to Bensonhurst, (depending on where in Bensonhurst you currently are) you should be perfectly fine in Woodside. The only trick will be to remember to take the local 7 train instead of the express.
If the OP lands on 56th Street, he can take local or the express.
However, the express is usually packed during rush hours. Taking the local can be more of a comfortable ride. There really isnt that big of a time difference between the local and the express for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: