Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
Here's an example, I get friendly with a white person, everything is going well, and then they say some stupid stuff like "that's ghetto" etc. The easiest thing for me to do is to keep white people at arms lenth, just be acquantances. I know black people who do the same. Whites and blacks really do live in different worlds.
I have African American friends that say "that's ghetto". The term has nothing to do with race and more to do with class and socio-economic status. To me, it sounds like you are suffering from sort of confirmation bias...someone may look at you funny because you said "word up, yo!" when you assume that person is a racist because they gave you a funny look...when, in reality, that person probably thinks you are an UN-educated buffoon who prefers to speak in slang and has nothing to do with race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:41 PM

103 posts, read 166,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I have African American friends that say "that's ghetto". The term has nothing to do with race and more to do with class and socio-economic status. To me, it sounds like you are suffering from sort of confirmation bias...someone may look at you funny because you said "word up, yo!" when you assume that person is a racist because they gave you a funny look...when, in reality, that person probably thinks you are an UN-educated buffoon who prefers to speak in slang and has nothing to do with race.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
White people always slip up at doing this stuff, I can even sense it in their speech when white people are trying to hide judgement. Im not white but I do have multi ethnic white heritage in my blood and it shows its colors, I even an Irish last name which I inhirited from Irish descdent a 100 years ago and not from a slave descendent. I do occasionally asked about my background by some white people when I go out and socialize, sadly its not native white New Yorkers doing this stuff its curious Transplants. I can easily say Im Puerto Rican and move on to the next topic. Thanks to white Waspy Transplants I had to change the way I speak, the way how I dress, invest money in some sort of stock, talk about education and college, travel, the list goes on. White people can easily brush you off and label you an outsider or a sucker for not having or obtaining certain things in your life. White native New Yorkers are cool and may have their ways set but its some of the Transplants that act different due to not coming from a multicultured enviornment even if there are Blacks and Asians residing beside them in suburbia, they are Waspy too. At the end of the day I really cant say whites are racsit but most def Judgemental.
Right on the money!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish. I'm into sneakers, hip-hop, etc.

I'm also the type of white dude who realizes that he's white and I'm comfortable in my skin. I like plenty of "white people" stuff too, basically, lol. I'm very educated and consider myself cultured. I'm just me and I don't walk around like a Vanilla Ice clown.

Now, recently I've gotten the feeling that your average white person feels a certain way toward me. I mean, it's like, I gotta be WHITE to be white. I'm pretty sure I missed out on some job opportunities recently because they could tell I'm not a white dude who grew up in the burbs, or something. I just think a lot of white people are not comfortable with that. The fact that I prefer women of color (due to a cultural vibe, first and formost), have a deep voice, and just don't carry myself as the average white boy seems to threaten them.

Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.

Can anyone else relate?
As of lately I ahve sent out resumes from my friends apartment in the UES. My Hebrew first name and Irish last name sounds totally different compared to me emailing resumes with a South Bronx address.As for Job Interviews, all I know is that employers read your resume and determing your address plus your name says alot about the candidate unless the cadnidate went to an IVY league school. Mostly employers especially from Manhattan private sector jobs will prefer to hire someone with the name of Caleb Swinson of Kipps Bay originally from Ohio over a guy named Carl Johnson in Harlem or over a guy named Tyquan Smith in Bed Stuy. Even more worse if you have an Italian last name, Im sure employers think about the Jersey shore when they see and read those last names. There are alot of ghetto white people in NYC and many ghetto white folks wont change because they grew up that way in a traditional working class NYC hood with uneducated parents.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As of lately I ahve sent out resumes from my friends apartment in the UES. My Hebrew first name and Irish last name sounds totally different compared to me emailing resumes with a South Bronx address.As for Job Interviews, all I know is that employers read your resume and determing your address plus your name says alot about the candidate unless the cadnidate went to an IVY league school. Mostly employers especially from Manhattan private sector jobs will prefer to hire someone with the name of Caleb Swinson of Kipps Bay originally from Ohio over a guy named Carl Johnson in Harlem or over a guy named Tyquan Smith in Bed Stuy. Even more worse if you have an Italian last name, Im sure employers think about the Jersey shore when they see and read those last names. There are alot of ghetto white people in NYC and many ghetto white folks wont change because they grew up that way in a traditional working class NYC hood with uneducated parents.
You know, I don't even sweat that. It really is not the type of company I need to work for anyway.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I have African American friends that say "that's ghetto". The term has nothing to do with race and more to do with class and socio-economic status.
Completely agree.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
Dude I think you're blowing this out of proportion. You seem to be looking for people to criticize you to confirm your identity in the way you see yourself. Obviously if you start speaking slang in a job interview for a Wall Street firm (or something of that variant) they're going to look down on you. You are who you are and there's (likely) nothing wrong with that but your posts are just screaming for confirmation and acceptance.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
I can relate to OP, since I'm white, a Hip Hop head and dress urban (not for interviews of course lol) I sense some stupid white people dumb ass looks and judging from time to time, but that's mainly in my regular free time. I never had problems with that in regards to job interviews and such. I guess you might wanna reevaluate how you dress, speak and your mannerisms because at an interview you do gotta put up that front, and it's normal. Business is business, you be you, but time and place for everything type deal. Like some people said, you obviously can't talk to employers the same way you talk 2 da homies. Even if it's all funny, cool and good, and I would be the boss, I would still look down on it, cuz it's unprofessional and shows lack of good judgement and common sense. I am not saying you do this, I can't tell, but think bout it.
Btw, Vanilla Ice was a ****in clown, but most current rappers black and white are even more clowns.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 07-08-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Good call on the hip hop head part. I can relate (and I'm a dark skinned minority myself). If you're a hip hop head, you basically want to adopt more of that Barack Obama type swag (not endorsing his politics, but just his demeanor) in the sense that he doesn't come off as ghetto or stereotypical hood black in any sense. I'm sure Barack Obama busts out some Marvin Gaye or whatever in his private living room with Michelle and all but when he's in the board room it's all business and he leaves the hood back at home lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I can relate to OP, since I'm white, a Hip Hop head and dress urban (not for interviews of course lol) I sense some stupid white people dumb ass looks and judging from time to time, but that's mainly in my regular free time. I never had problems with that in regards to job interviews and such. I guess you might wanna reevaluate how you dress, speak and your mannerisms because at an interview you do gotta put up that front, and it's normal. Business is business, you be you, but time and place for everything type deal. Like some people said, you obviously can't talk to employers the same way you talk 2 da homies. Even if it's all funny, cool and good, and I would be the boss, I would still look down on it, cuz it's unprofessional and shows lack of good judgement and common sense. I am not saying you do this, I can't tell, but think bout it.
Btw, Vanilla Ice was a ****in clown, but most current rappers black and white are even more clowns.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Good call on the hip hop head part. I can relate (and I'm a dark skinned minority myself). If you're a hip hop head, you basically want to adopt more of that Barack Obama type swag (not endorsing his politics, but just his demeanor) in the sense that he doesn't come off as ghetto or stereotypical hood black in any sense. I'm sure Barack Obama busts out some Marvin Gaye or whatever in his private living room with Michelle and all but when he's in the board room it's all business and he leaves the hood back at home lol.

Yeah right! Obama was mostly raised white, but I'm sure he listens to hip hop on his ipad. Michelle Obama is down right AA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City