Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Good call on the hip hop head part. I can relate (and I'm a dark skinned minority myself). If you're a hip hop head, you basically want to adopt more of that Barack Obama type swag (not endorsing his politics, but just his demeanor) in the sense that he doesn't come off as ghetto or stereotypical hood black in any sense. I'm sure Barack Obama busts out some Marvin Gaye or whatever in his private living room with Michelle and all but when he's in the board room it's all business and he leaves the hood back at home lol.
Indeed. He must have some hood in him, having been a South Side Chicago community organizer. Matta fact, he did say he listens to Jay-Z, Nas, Ludacris, Young Jeezy, Q-Tip, etc.

Obama Brushes the Dirt Off - YouTube

The black dude stood up right away was like "this sh1t rite here nukka!"
The white dude stood up next to him was like "I do not know the meaning of this, but I will contribute anyway"
Whatever the politics, Obama does have swag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Yeah right! Obama was mostly raised white, but I'm sure he listens to hip hop on his ipad. Michelle Obama is down right AA.
I'm white and Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite musicians. I listen to him all the time. Being white doesn't preclude listening to Marvin Gaye.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 PM

103 posts, read 166,913 times
I'm glad Obama was brought up. I carry myself in that same professional, no-nonsense demeanor. But SOME white people are taken aback by a white dude who isn't "white-white".

You either get it, or not. I'm glad some do, as evident by some responses.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Dude I think you're blowing this out of proportion. You seem to be looking for people to criticize you to confirm your identity in the way you see yourself. Obviously if you start speaking slang in a job interview for a Wall Street firm (or something of that variant) they're going to look down on you. You are who you are and there's (likely) nothing wrong with that but your posts are just screaming for confirmation and acceptance.
yeah to the above

OP {GoBlue?} -- nobody here knows what your problem is.

You are just attributing your general lack of acceptance (perceived) to a perception that whoever from wherever at some point possibly might figure out that you might have adopted some sort of mannerism from some black folks you might have known in your life, and thereby those nameless people out there who may or may not have hired you, may or may not have done so because YOU perceive that THEY perceive that you have """black""" characteristics, and therefore....

....they are racist? Against you? And your supposed black friends by proxy?

...because mannerisms that YOU attribute as "black" don't represent your own stereotypes....why?

...because you really really want to make an issue and say that this is the reason people back away from you?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Maybe Marvin Gaye was a bad example to pick as a musical choice. After all, Marvin's themes were timeless & universal, and his music is old school soul R&B that is devoid of the cursing that you find in modern day hip hop.

Maybe a Jay-Z reference would have been more relevant, but something tells me that while Obama may listen to some of Jay-Z's music here & there, his musical preferences probably tend to be more of the old school variety.

But also the fact that you do appreciate an artist like the late Marvin Gaye probably alludes to the fact that your musical tastes do have a bit more variety & "flava" than the prototypical person that the OP was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm white and Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite musicians. I listen to him all the time. Being white doesn't preclude listening to Marvin Gaye.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM

93 posts, read 194,357 times
just do you blue 123 dont listen to any of these otha cats. i have some white friends n there down homie. i got white friends puerot rican friends, black. dominacan n everything else its all a mix up in here son.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.
I'm white, and I promise not to judge you. Unless you start going around in public with your pants so far down your butt that I have to see your underwear.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Maybe Marvin Gaye was a bad example to pick as a musical choice. After all, Marvin's themes were timeless & universal, and his music is old school soul R&B that is devoid of the cursing that you find in modern day hip hop.

Maybe a Jay-Z reference would have been more relevant, but something tells me that while Obama may listen to some of Jay-Z's music here & there, his musical preferences probably tend to be more of the old school variety.

But also the fact that you do appreciate an artist like the late Marvin Gaye probably alludes to the fact that your musical tastes do have a bit more variety & "flava" than the prototypical person that the OP was referring to.
I don't really like music with denigrating themes in it regardless of the type of music it is. This--

--offends me just as much as this--

--and I love this:

I even like that Chris and Rihanna song where they talk openly and honestly about their domestic violence situation. I can't for the life of me find it. It's not pleasant but it's reality and part of music is facing the parts of humanity we usually try to hide away from.

Anyway my point is a lot of people make it out like all music by Black people is misogynistic and promotes the Thug Lifestyle etc...which is just not true.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish. I'm into sneakers, hip-hop, etc.

I'm also the type of white dude who realizes that he's white and I'm comfortable in my skin. I like plenty of "white people" stuff too, basically, lol. I'm very educated and consider myself cultured. I'm just me and I don't walk around like a Vanilla Ice clown.

Now, recently I've gotten the feeling that your average white person feels a certain way toward me. I mean, it's like, I gotta be WHITE to be white. I'm pretty sure I missed out on some job opportunities recently because they could tell I'm not a white dude who grew up in the burbs, or something. I just think a lot of white people are not comfortable with that. The fact that I prefer women of color (due to a cultural vibe, first and formost), have a deep voice, and just don't carry myself as the average white boy seems to threaten them.

Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.

Can anyone else relate?

You sound like a nutcase.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I will add that geography on resumes does matter, and hiring managers as well as recruiters take note and form opinions quickly depending on your location. When I put down "Bronx" on my resume, I get many recruiters saying "Oh is that in Riverdale?" Umm...no...why would they presume it was and why would it matter?

At my level, if I am seeking work I do not use my current address, and instead use a different one in a "better" neighborhood. It sucks, but that's how it is.

In regards to this specific thread though..I would say a better title would be "Somethign I noticed about some PEOPLE over the years..." I think the op is referring to human behavior moreso than any particular group..we all suffer from prejudices based on our experiences (or lackthereof), and "group think" oftentimes takes over. I can say the same thing about my experiences with being around Hispanics..and the things they think and have said..and of course they "aren't racist either". It's human behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City