Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I think NYC generates it's own heat on top of that. Let's say it's 90 degrees outside and the self generated heat from all the concrete, tar and steel under the sun generates 8 degrees more, it would feel like it's 98. lol
Yes, it's called the urban heat island effect and it's not so much generating heat as in retaining a lot more of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
As Mark Twain wrote, many years ago, "Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."

Mark Twain didn't have my terrrific FEDDERS.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 31,348 times
NYC weather sucks. Here's one thing: It's either too hot, or too cold. It's rare for a New Yorker to experience a perfectly nice in-between day where the trees are bright green, the wind whistles, and the birds sing along peacefully while the fresh breeze creates a delightful, peaceful, and attractive scenery along with flamboyant exploding at your face... Oh how gorgeous this sight of... that... Oops... Sorry, I kind of dazed off there. Back to the stressful NYC weather.

But at this point in my life, that thought is only tepid. I'm used to this weather, but at the same time I'm not.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Anyone for whom good weather is important shouldn't be living in New York City.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM

188 posts, read 276,832 times
The weather will suck no matter where you are, Fla gets hot but most of the time the weather is simply beautiful 80+ degrees on most days. If someone wants perfect weather the only place you'd find that is Southern California, i've lived in san diego for 2 years and its like wearing a cashmere sweater everyday

Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,017 times
I can only remember a couple of summers that were tolerable in my 30+ years living here. The norm just sucks: sticky, hot, swamp-ass-tastic!

It pisses me off when tourists or people from around the country think our summers are a cool picnic because we're relatively far north... Bastards!

Anyway I'm moving to Texas in a few months. My mom called me in the middle of the last heat wave: "Are you sure you want to move to Texas? It was 100 degrees in Dallas today?". So I told my mom it was 98 in central park that day, which meant it was 103ish in the East Village (confirmed on weather underground) and I don't have air conditioning (long story). So I reminded my mom that not only was it cooler in Dallas, but if I were in Dallas I'd have AC.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanese View Post
The weather will suck no matter where you are, Fla gets hot but most of the time the weather is simply beautiful 80+ degrees on most days. If someone wants perfect weather the only place you'd find that is Southern California, i've lived in san diego for 2 years and its like wearing a cashmere sweater everyday
My visits to San Diego-Los Angeles in Summer were like going to the Sahara. The heat was murderous, the air so parched dry my eyelids stuck together, I had a sore throat every morning, and my nose bled constantly...and the air smelled like the back of a bus.

Give me NYC weather ANYDAY.

Shut of the water from the Colorado River and the area would return to the desert that it is in 2 years.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
The whole idea of a thread like this makes me wonder if people in other parts of the world complain about their weather, too.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrification View Post
NYC weather sucks. Here's one thing: It's either too hot, or too cold. It's rare for a New Yorker to experience a perfectly nice in-between day where the trees are bright green, the wind whistles, and the birds sing along peacefully while the fresh breeze creates a delightful, peaceful, and attractive scenery along with flamboyant exploding at your face... Oh how gorgeous this sight of... that... Oops... Sorry, I kind of dazed off there. Back to the stressful NYC weather.

But at this point in my life, that thought is only tepid. I'm used to this weather, but at the same time I'm not.
I agree, I hate the weather here most of the time, it's just uncomfortable. By the time we are done with the hot sticky summers, we have to get used to the idea of freezing for many months. I know there are some nice days in between, but they are rare.

I really love warm weather (despite the cold) and yet, I feel like I am stuck inside in the summers here a lot of the time because it is so unpleasant. I don't tolerate humidity well at all.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 AM

128 posts, read 243,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The whole idea of a thread like this makes me wonder if people in other parts of the world complain about their weather, too.
I think everyone does all over the world, I'm in the uk at the height of summer and it's 68 degrees with rain every day and has been similar for weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City