Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I think they add balconies to buildings because it looks good on for sale or rental ad. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, BALCONY.

My current and last apartment have them. I like it. I don't "hang out" for extended periods of time, but like a small 1 bedroom vs a studio, its nice having a different space to go to in your apartment (I have never, and god willing, will never live in a studio. I need a friggin wall, even if sq footage is the same).
And they're seasonal. I don't go out on in the winter, nor when its really hot. So spring and fall, when its not raining, are the only times I'll spend some time out there.

also if you can't keep up with your payments you can jump from your private balcony instead of the shared roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
I have outdoor space (a terrace) and many of the units in my building have terraces or balconies. As someone pointed out, it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter so there is really only a window of time when it's for optimal use. I do see other people sitting out in the summer but mostly in the evening when it's cooled down- as someone pointed out, it gets REALLY hot during high sun in the summer. Also, if you think about it this way, how often would you really use outdoor space? It's one of those things that's nice to have and useful when you want it but not something that you would use regularly like a kitchen or bathroom. I think about my parents house and their deck; it's only used every once and a while for BBQs but it's not like we were out there every day. I think the same goes for these outdoor spaces in the city. It's nice to have for occasional use but it's not a living room.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
ooooooooooooooh people use em

The things....hmmmm..my frieeeend- yeah thats it, have done on balconies...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,843,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I have outdoor space (a terrace) and many of the units in my building have terraces or balconies. As someone pointed out, it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter so there is really only a window of time when it's for optimal use. I do see other people sitting out in the summer but mostly in the evening when it's cooled down- as someone pointed out, it gets REALLY hot during high sun in the summer. Also, if you think about it this way, how often would you really use outdoor space? It's one of those things that's nice to have and useful when you want it but not something that you would use regularly like a kitchen or bathroom. I think about my parents house and their deck; it's only used every once and a while for BBQs but it's not like we were out there every day. I think the same goes for these outdoor spaces in the city. It's nice to have for occasional use but it's not a living room.
I have a balcony that is heated for the winter and has a misting system for the summer.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times
I had one upstate, I barely used it. I don't feel like sitting on a very tiny ledge essentially staring out outside. Maybe some people do? The most I did was cook on my small grill. Balconies are nice if they are of nice size because when you have people over, they can sit outside and talk. But other than that, they aren't a huge selling point to me.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
I want a balcony too... My rusty fire escape doesn't count.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I think it's like many things, once the novelty wears off it's just not that interesting anymore.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I have a friend who really wanted one, not because she wanted to go out and use it but because it meant the apartment would have a door to the outside. I think she just wanted to sit inside the apartment with the door open, which is a little weird but kind of makes sense. If you don't have a balcony, you are stuck with just windows.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I have a friend who really wanted one, not because she wanted to go out and use it but because it meant the apartment would have a door to the outside. I think she just wanted to sit inside the apartment with the door open, which is a little weird but kind of makes sense. If you don't have a balcony, you are stuck with just windows.

But there is a price to be paid in a small, aka NYC apartment, with a door. It is a space that is rendered unuseable...you cannot put a sofa, a table, or a desk in front of it.

Are we all familiar with the term JULIET BALCONY...these put me in hysterics. Juliet could only stand on it if she was an anorectic 80 pounds and 6 inches thick. All the DISadvantages of a balcony with none of the advantages, what few there are.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But there is a price to be paid in a small, aka NYC apartment, with a door. It is a space that is rendered unuseable...you cannot put a sofa, a table, or a desk in front of it.

Are we all familiar with the term JULIET BALCONY...these put me in hysterics. Juliet could only stand on it if she was an anorectic 80 pounds and 6 inches thick. All the DISadvantages of a balcony with none of the advantages, what few there are.
OMG! I hate those ****ing things.

I was apartment hunting in Franklin TN a few months ago. There was one apartment complex I absolutely grew to hate. It was a complex that was trying to give an urban feel by having everything so compact yet having tall ceiling heights, and useless cosmetic accents like "Juliet balconies" to seem hip, cool, edgy and cosmopolitan.

Broker: "We even have JULIET BALCONIES!!!!"

Me: "..... So?"

Broker: "They're so pretty, they have them on old buildings with lots of character."

me: "Its the illusion of a balcony that functions like an ordinary window. I'm sure if I'd consider it a perk."

Broker: "Well, the design is based off of old buildings in places like NYC."

me: "Yeah, that's where I'm from..."

Broker (deflated): "Oh..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City