Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
LOL - what a load of BS! Have you even worked in a corporate environment? I have - and for many years. It skews white (because most corporate jobs require at least a Bachelors degree, if not a Masters, and more whites are college graduates in the USA than blacks and Hispanics; Asians, who also tend to be be well educated, are becoming more prevalent, but are still a smaller a percentage of the population). I have worked with plenty of local Irish, Italians, Poles, Russians and other non-WASPs in corporate offices. I would hardly describe these workplaces as predominantly WASP and Jewish.
Sometimes this guy has an interesting perspective, sometimes not. This time, not!
Poster is a CUNY Graduate, a Doorman, and a Self-professed womanizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
LOL - what a load of BS! Have you even worked in a corporate environment? I have - and for many years. It skews white (because most corporate jobs require at least a Bachelors degree, if not a Masters, and more whites are college graduates in the USA than blacks and Hispanics; Asians, who also tend to be be well educated, are becoming more prevalent, but are still a smaller a percentage of the population). I have worked with plenty of local Irish, Italians, Poles, Russians and other non-WASPs in corporate offices. I would hardly describe these workplaces as predominantly WASP and Jewish.
Sometimes this poster has an interesting perspective, sometimes not. This time, not!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Sometimes this poster has an interesting perspective, sometimes not. This time, not!
Old Man River is back!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM

221 posts, read 379,869 times
Default Answer to OP

I think it is often a combination of things. For one, this area is a major location for immigrants. Many recent immigrants come here with little education from poorer countries. Our countries are not mostly Communist and we have no kind of caste-system. So, Latin American immigrants can be from any class when they come here and have little to a lot of education from their place of origin. I think that more and more immigrants over the years have been from lower classes. They have to work to support families and don't know much about the world of education. They sometimes pass this on to their children and can only guide them as far as 'Do well in school. Get an education'. Oftentimes, however, they don't have the home life to support this goal. They may have too many kids or family members, not enough quiet, too many personal issues, etc. They don't become involved in guiding their kids' educations because they are too busy working to survive. This can be a recipe for disaster.

The ease of coming from nearby countries adds to this problem. The bad come in just as easily with the good and there are issues of illegal immigration. It seems like minority groups that immigrate to more prosperous places are always given a hard time. In England, I have noticed that many are not overly pleased with East Indians/Pakastanis because they 'get benefits'...and now Muslims and Africans. In Australia and Canada, I have seen Asians compared to 'monkeys' and mistreated.

In the U.S., the majority often views latinos as a group that doesn't have its act together. Because the very poor and uneducated are mixed in with the higher classes...they are all lumped in together. Many Americans hate us because they just consider us all low class. The funny thing is that our countries are more similar to this country than those of the groups they favor. Even racially...some of us are predominantly European even if we have darker skin. I remember seeing a video where the NYC police were being protested for breaking up a soccer celebration. One Uruguayan lady (of clear German descent-blonde with blue eyes and no trace of non-European ancestry whatsoever) was screaming that the Italian American cop was a 'racist'. I thought her choice of the word was pretty funny considering that she was as white as white gets.

Anyhow, I think that Americans in position of power are often prejudiced and don't go out of their way to help latino students even if it is their job to do so. They don't really care and the parents are clueless oftentimes. We all need to unite to help eachother and our less fortunate members/recent immigrants.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 AM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I think it is often a combination of things. For one, this area is a major location for immigrants. Many recent immigrants come here with little education from poorer countries. Our countries are not mostly Communist and we have no kind of caste-system. So, Latin American immigrants can be from any class when they come here and have little to a lot of education from their place of origin. I think that more and more immigrants over the years have been from lower classes. They have to work to support families and don't know much about the world of education. They sometimes pass this on to their children and can only guide them as far as 'Do well in school. Get an education'. Oftentimes, however, they don't have the home life to support this goal. They may have too many kids or family members, not enough quiet, too many personal issues, etc. They don't become involved in guiding their kids' educations because they are too busy working to survive. This can be a recipe for disaster.

The ease of coming from nearby countries adds to this problem. The bad come in just as easily with the good and there are issues of illegal immigration. It seems like minority groups that immigrate to more prosperous places are always given a hard time. In England, I have noticed that many are not overly pleased with East Indians/Pakastanis because they 'get benefits'...and now Muslims and Africans. In Australia and Canada, I have seen Asians compared to 'monkeys' and mistreated.

In the U.S., the majority often views latinos as a group that doesn't have its act together. Because the very poor and uneducated are mixed in with the higher classes...they are all lumped in together. Many Americans hate us because they just consider us all low class. The funny thing is that our countries are more similar to this country than those of the groups they favor. Even racially...some of us are predominantly European even if we have darker skin. I remember seeing a video where the NYC police were being protested for breaking up a soccer celebration. One Uruguayan lady (of clear German descent-blonde with blue eyes and no trace of non-European ancestry whatsoever) was screaming that the Italian American cop was a 'racist'. I thought her choice of the word was pretty funny considering that she was as white as white gets.

Anyhow, I think that Americans in position of power are often prejudiced and don't go out of their way to help latino students even if it is their job to do so. They don't really care and the parents are clueless oftentimes. We all need to unite to help eachother and our less fortunate members/recent immigrants.
Perhaps a better solution would be to stop immigration from craphole third-world countries. Funny how the Germans, Norwegians, Scottish, Irish, and Italians never had these "problems" and none of them had generous government benefits. We can thank the left-wing loons for the 1965 immigration bill which opened the floodgates for third-world immigration.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
They are worse off because of their own values, not because of white people...Indians (East Indians) and Asians are better off than white people...why is that?

Blacks and hispanics need to stop blaming others and take responsibility for themselves.

Instituting racist policies like "affirmative action" is not an appropriate "solution."
What "values" are those? Its people with with obtuse pereptions of reality like yours that say that there are no residual effects of the hundreds of years of oppression and discrimination that certain people had been subject to that generationally has been affecting people today.

Indians and East Asians in this country are not better off than the majority in this country. Once again you are WRONG.

You still have not answered the question as to how Affirmative Action is a racist policy? Or Liberal.

The first step to fixing your problem is ADMITTING that you have one.....The world is 3 dimensional; get out of your 2 dimensional box.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
new immigrants don't compare if they were better
off than many of us before they even got to america.

he's just talking out of his behind.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM

420 posts, read 805,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
What "values" are those? Its people with with obtuse pereptions of reality like yours that say that there are no residual effects of the hundreds of years of oppression and discrimination that certain people had been subject to that generationally has been affecting people today.

Indians and East Asians in this country are not better off than the majority in this country. Once again you are WRONG.

You still have not answered the question as to how Affirmative Action is a racist policy? Or Liberal.

The first step to fixing your problem is ADMITTING that you have one.....The world is 3 dimensional; get out of your 2 dimensional box.
Indians and Asians have higher per capita GDPs than white people. Look it up, it is a fact.

Anyone who works hard can make it in America today. Certain groups, instead of working hard to get ahead, enjoy blaming others and making excuses for their own failures.

Affirmative Action is racist because it discriminates against whites and Asian...Asians are harded hit than whites. Blatant racism is all affirmative action is.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Asian Americans have the highest average household income of any US racial group, including whites as a stand-alone group, in America (Pew Research 2010). Of the subgroups looked at, Indians had the highest average household income (Pew Research 2010). The research looked at Indian, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese subgroups.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

Its racist if its based on race. The country is moving it towards being based in SES, mainly income. That will probably survive constitutional analysis, and achieves much the same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City