Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
When I was a child growing in the Bronx, I thought there were only two religions Catholic and Jewish.
A Jewish coworker of mine said exactly the same thing. She grew up in Brooklyn.

She always thought that Abraham Lincoln was Jewish because of his first name and the big black hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I think for most of NY's Catholics and Jews, it is a cultural thing. Few of them actually worship on a regular basis.

Most alleged "WASPs" I've encountered in NYC are actually WASAAs.

White anglo-saxon agnostics or atheists.

Perhaps they should be called "WASAAPS".

Old 07-14-2012, 04:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
I was raised Lutheran. I refer to Lutherans as rebel Catholics. We're basically Catholics without all the bells and whistles. At least that's how I've come to perceive it. Although, rebel Catholics may be the wrong term the more I think about it, we're probably more like fallen Catholics.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I was raised Lutheran. I refer to Lutherans as rebel Catholics. We're basically Catholics without all the bells and whistles. At least that's how I've come to perceive it. Although, rebel Catholics may be the wrong term the more I think about it, we're probably more like fallen Catholics.
One could say the same about protestants in general.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Catholics are generally poor. I wish not I was born into a catholic family.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
I was raised Lutheran. I refer to Lutherans as rebel Catholics.
Catholics refer to you with the sweet term "heretics."

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Just wondering but new york religion wise strikes me more as a catholic and jewish city would it be accurate to say protestantism would be comparatively a minority religion in the city or is that off base?
Is it that difficult to look the demographics?

Anyway, non-Catholic Christians as of 2001 makeup roughly 34%: Catholics 68%; Jewish 9%

So, despite stereotypes and prejudices, NYC is firmly Christian, and indeed a majority Catholic. While Jewish are a large minority.

Demographics of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Large number of AA who are primarily protestants as well as wasps and Anglo Caribbeans who reside in the city. I do agree faith wise for sometime nyc has beeen primarily Jewish and Roman Catholic. I was raised RC but not profess athiesm. Freedom at last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I'm not the OP but thank you for the link. Sure proves the OP's point that Catholics and Jews tend to dominate in the city.
Do you people need a calculator????

Using the article in the link provided by BinxBolling, the Jewish population is stated as 11.2%.

Is that dominating? Is it a majority?

No and no!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A Jewish coworker of mine said exactly the same thing. She grew up in Brooklyn.

She always thought that Abraham Lincoln was Jewish because of his first name and the big black hat.
The level of unnecessary stupidity in this world is incredible!!!

For anyone to think that show a whole level of misunderstand of American heritage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Catholics are generally poor. I wish not I was born into a catholic family.
And the voluntary ignorance continues.

NO! WHERE do you get these ideas???

You just grew up in a poor and largely ignorant environment, and you have let it define you and your knowledge.

How do you expect to get a job and income commensurate with your alleged Degree if you do not widen your scope and open your mind.

Imagine, you go on an interview, and say something like that! It belies the reality that despite your college education, there is a HUGE gap in real knowledge, and it questions your capability to evaluate and gather information.

Kinda explains how Transplants with allegedly lessor education can live in a building where you hold the doors.

Harsh, but necessary.

Fulfill your potential.

Change!

[The thought above is based upon your personal comments, whinnings, and statements.]

Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 PM

A refresher for those who might be unaware of the origins of Protestantism. Virtually, if not literally, all non-Catholic Christians are Protestant in origin. Martin Luther 'nailed' the Catholic Church and began the splits:

Protestant Reformation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: